The Science Topic
(03-31-2014, 09:23 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:21 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:20 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 08:38 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 11:16 PM)Wonky Wrote: Hydrologic Thermostat
When the silicate-rich rocks and minerals in Earth's interior are uplifted and exposed to Earth's surface, they dissolve. On a geologic time scale, this chemical weathering process ultimately creates a sink for CO2, thereby influencing global temperatures. Maher and Chamberlain (p. 1502, published online 13 March) developed a theoretical framework for understanding the fundamental relationship between weathering, tectonics, and the geological carbon cycle. The analysis suggests that temperature plays less of a role in regulating chemical weathering—which is dependent on the balance of tectonic uplift and erosion—than runoff on continents and the time that silicate minerals are exposed to fluids. Plateaus in weathering fluxes with increasing runoff or temperature allows for the stabilization of atmospheric CO2 despite high rates of uplift or erosion.

"This Week In Science 3/27/2014"
Dude, did you insert some scientific facts in an innocuous looking post to disguise your intent? Your post seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to offend climate change deniers? You must know that facts can be offensive, especially when you use them to make people look stupid. Have you not been following the discussion? Smiling

I have. (Been following the discussion)

Check out what WIKI has to say about "This Week In Science"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_in_Science

And excerpt: Hosts[edit]

Dr. Kirsten Sanford (founder/host) holds a B.S. in Conservation Biology and a Ph.D in Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology from the University of California Davis and is a frequent lecturer on the Davis campus. Dr. Sanford was awarded the 2005 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Mass Media Fellowship Award in recognition for her work with This Week in Science. Through this fellowship she worked as a television news producer at WNBC News in New York City working with noted health and science reporter Dr. Max Gomez.[4]

Justin Jackson has been the show's co-host since 2005.

Blair Bazdarich joined as the show's third co-host in 2013 after serving as an intern for over a year.

Not real shabby credentials, huh?

So here's the thing: While we discredit "faith" in all it's incarnations, we seem to accept science as concrete down home fact.
Well…
There is science and there is science.

Glad it caught your attention. This junk I posted is from REAL scientists, degrees, positions, tenure, and platforms.

We should be careful. We should be open to the wonders of those things that go bump in the night that we can't explain using Newton's logic or E.O. Wilson's ant farm.

You and I are atheists and we share a common belief that science will be "our salvation" (if salvation is possible).

But like those who believe in God, but not "religion", we want to be careful about the science we embrace.

I cant find anything in your post to disagree with, now what am I supposed to do?
(03-31-2014, 10:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:23 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:21 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:20 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 08:38 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Dude, did you insert some scientific facts in an innocuous looking post to disguise your intent? Your post seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to offend climate change deniers? You must know that facts can be offensive, especially when you use them to make people look stupid. Have you not been following the discussion? Smiling

I have. (Been following the discussion)

Check out what WIKI has to say about "This Week In Science"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_in_Science

And excerpt: Hosts[edit]

Dr. Kirsten Sanford (founder/host) holds a B.S. in Conservation Biology and a Ph.D in Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology from the University of California Davis and is a frequent lecturer on the Davis campus. Dr. Sanford was awarded the 2005 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Mass Media Fellowship Award in recognition for her work with This Week in Science. Through this fellowship she worked as a television news producer at WNBC News in New York City working with noted health and science reporter Dr. Max Gomez.[4]

Justin Jackson has been the show's co-host since 2005.

Blair Bazdarich joined as the show's third co-host in 2013 after serving as an intern for over a year.

Not real shabby credentials, huh?

So here's the thing: While we discredit "faith" in all it's incarnations, we seem to accept science as concrete down home fact.
Well…
There is science and there is science.

Glad it caught your attention. This junk I posted is from REAL scientists, degrees, positions, tenure, and platforms.

We should be careful. We should be open to the wonders of those things that go bump in the night that we can't explain using Newton's logic or E.O. Wilson's ant farm.

You and I are atheists and we share a common belief that science will be "our salvation" (if salvation is possible).

But like those who believe in God, but not "religion", we want to be careful about the science we embrace.

I cant find anything in your post to disagree with, now what am I supposed to do?

Drink a lot of beer, you nit-wit.
Jes!
Intelligent people set themselves up for his kind of thing because they know the only "out" is to overindulge in "that great yeasty treat" that Ben Franklin talked about when he said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

And wining all the time is a bore. (So they tell me…wouldn't know)

Besides, my argument (such as it was) was a straw man to make a subtle point about being slavish to one view, no matter how legit.

Go have a beer. Watch some re-runs of "Wagon Train" and then go out and spend $150 bucks on something you don't need. (Just hide it form the wife).

Life is good. Science is real and is our only hope, Grant's Pass is "About The Climate" we have an abundance of micro-breweries, and The South Sea Islands are still above water.

It's all good.
I love science. Without science, this phenomenon might be explained as a miracle. If we had a religious story to go along with it I am sure we could get a few believers.

(09-06-2014, 08:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I love science. Without science, this phenomenon might be explained as a miracle. If we had a religious story to go along with it I am sure we could get a few believers.

Scientists are funny nerds. All they had to say was the wind moves the ice and the ice pushes the rocks.
Drilling holes and installing GPS receivers, time lapse photography.. And all anyone really had to do to figure it out was sit and watchRazz Guaranteed the Indians knew what moved the rocks.
But what the heck it was just another federally funded project that only costs the tax payers a few hundred thousand. OK just kidding.. I hopeConfused

BTW the Oregon Dept of transportation has been making vernal pools on flat land out here near where I live.They have lots of heavy equipment and have been scraping digging and drilling test holes for a few weeks and they still have a long way to go.
When they are done they will stock these man made vernal pools with microscopic Fairy shrimp.
I asked one of the guys if this was all because they had destroyed vernal pools in another area. He said yes.
I'm not sure what I think about the whole thing.
(09-06-2014, 09:13 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 08:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I love science. Without science, this phenomenon might be explained as a miracle. If we had a religious story to go along with it I am sure we could get a few believers.

Scientists are funny nerds. All they had to say was the wind moves the ice and the ice pushes the rocks.
Drilling holes and installing GPS receivers, time lapse photography.. And all anyone really had to do to figure it out was sit and watchRazz Guaranteed the Indians knew what moved the rocks.
But what the heck it was just another federally funded project that only costs the tax payers a few hundred thousand. OK just kidding.. I hopeConfused

BTW the Oregon Dept of transportation has been making vernal pools on flat land out here near where I live.They have lots of heavy equipment and have been scraping digging and drilling test holes for a few weeks and they still have a long way to go.
When they are done they will stock these man made vernal pools with microscopic Fairy shrimp.
I asked one of the guys if this was all because they had destroyed vernal pools in another area. He said yes.
I'm not sure what I think about the whole thing.

Yup, mitigation is required if you take habitat of an threatened or endangered species. Check out the map. You guys have the only habitat in Oregon, lucky bastards. Big Grin

[Image: VernalPoolFairyShrimp.gif]

http://www.fws.gov/oregonfwo/species/dat...iryshrimp/
(09-06-2014, 08:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I love science.

[Image: 1400432669-0.jpg]

Not saying that's you, Clete. Just that the phrase reminded me of this cartoon.
Oh, and TV, the reason they needed all that equipment and everything to watch the rocks is because no one had ever actually SEEN them move. They'd only seen the trails.

They knew the rocks moved, they had ideas, but the specific set of circumstances that caused them to move were pretty rare. It wasn't like they moved every night or something. Months or even years would go by without any movement. Then *poof* they would have moved and no one saw it. Just the trails and changed positions to prove it.

Which is why it was so great to have actually been there to see it happen.
(09-06-2014, 11:43 AM)csrowan Wrote: Oh, and TV, the reason they needed all that equipment and everything to watch the rocks is because no one had ever actually SEEN them move. They'd only seen the trails.

I'm amazed that you actually didn't think I knew that.Smiling

Quote:They knew the rocks moved, they had ideas, but the specific set of circumstances that caused them to move were pretty rare. It wasn't like they moved every night or something. Months or even years would go by without any movement. Then *poof* they would have moved and no one saw it. Just the trails and changed positions to prove it.

I'm wondering why you don't think I already knew every single thing you just said? der.

I guess there should be a tongue and cheek emoticon. I think they had cameras Rowan and were not there to see it happen.
And I was wondering if ancient natives actually were there to see it happen.. Some rocks moved 5 meters a minute. I was thinking some bored Indians may have sat and watched this happen. Without weather stations or GPS devices or cameras or years of 21st century education.That's all.Smiling

Also BEFORE these scientist did all of this , some of them already had the theory that ice moved the rocks. Seeing that the land was flat as a pancake and was OBVIOUSLY sometimes covered with water. And that it often was below freezing I don't think it took rocket scientists to figure this out.Razz
(09-06-2014, 04:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't think it took rocket scientists to figure this out.Razz

No, just rock scientists..... Razz
(09-06-2014, 11:39 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 08:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I love science.

[Image: 1400432669-0.jpg]

Not saying that's you, Clete. Just that the phrase reminded me of this cartoon.

No offense taken.

I however worked in a lab and I understand boring. I still love the explanation of natural phenomena from a scientific perspective that that make mysterious stuff understandable to all of us.
(09-06-2014, 04:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 11:43 AM)csrowan Wrote: Oh, and TV, the reason they needed all that equipment and everything to watch the rocks is because no one had ever actually SEEN them move. They'd only seen the trails.

Quote:They knew the rocks moved, they had ideas, but the specific set of circumstances that caused them to move were pretty rare. It wasn't like they moved every night or something. Months or even years would go by without any movement. Then *poof* they would have moved and no one saw it. Just the trails and changed positions to prove it.

I'm wondering why you don't think I already knew every single thing you just said? der.

I guess there should be a tongue and cheek emoticon. I think they had cameras Rowan and were not there to see it happen.
And I was wondering if ancient natives actually were there to see it happen.. Some rocks moved 5 meters a minute. I was thinking some bored Indians may have sat and watched this happen. Without weather stations or GPS devices or cameras or years of 21st century education.That's all.Smiling

Also BEFORE these scientist did all of this , some of them already had the theory that ice moved the rocks. Seeing that the land was flat as a pancake and was OBVIOUSLY sometimes covered with water. And that it often was below freezing I don't think it took rocket scientists to figure this out.Razz

I think they had cameras, too. But I KNOW they were there in person when it happened because I read an article about it before this video was posted. In fact, I've read multiple articles about these rocks, before they actually saw them move, too.

How about you?
(09-12-2014, 01:06 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I think they had cameras, too. But I KNOW they were there in person when it happened because I read an article about it before this video was posted. In fact, I've read multiple articles about these rocks, before they actually saw them move, too.

How about you?

I have nothing to add that I haven't already said.Thanks for the topic. I loves me some science.Smiling
(09-12-2014, 05:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2014, 01:06 PM)csrowan Wrote:

How about you?

I have nothing to add that I haven't already said.Thanks for the topic. I loves me some science.Smiling

Me too (love me some science)
Clete and I were drinking beer one time and I think he told me God invented science. Razz