What's wrong with this picture?
Why do those on welfare not have to pass a drug test to receive benefits, when I have to pass one to earn a paycheck that has my money taken out of it to help pay for those on welfare?
(02-24-2014, 10:38 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: Why do those on welfare not have to pass a drug test to receive benefits, when I have to pass one to earn a paycheck that has my money taken out of it to help pay for those on welfare?

The question is. why do you have to take a drug test?
(02-24-2014, 01:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 10:38 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: Why do those on welfare not have to pass a drug test to receive benefits, when I have to pass one to earn a paycheck that has my money taken out of it to help pay for those on welfare?

Why do you think a person has to take one to be employed?

Because I work for a living

[Image: 1911703_10151957913297596_1122868630_n.jpg]

The simple answer is that workers are required to be drug free for their safety and the safety of their co workers or anyone else who might be harmed by a stoned employee.
People sitting at home smoking a fatty and watching judge Judy aren't likely to hurt anyone.Big Grin
(02-24-2014, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The simple answer is that workers are required to be drug free for their safety and the safety of their co workers or anyone else who might be harmed by a stoned employee.
People sitting at home smoking a fatty and watching judge Judy aren't likely to hurt anyone.Big Grin

Insurance is why we drug test. First thing when someone on the job needs medical attention is a blood test. I had a few employees here and there that never understood that if they were unlucky one day and had alcohol or drugs in their system they have to cover their own medical, that I paid a lot of money so they would be covered. One day a guy was killed on the jobsite and turned out to have been drinking. His wife was devastated and also had to deal with how to pay for his burial. It wasn't one of my employees btw.
(02-24-2014, 03:22 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='SFLiberal' pid='332776' dateline='1393263498']
Why do those on welfare not have to pass a drug test to receive benefits, when I have to pass one to earn a paycheck that has my money taken out of it to help pay for those on welfare?

Quote:Insurance is why we drug test.

Yes I'm very well aware of that. But it's still about safety. The more safe the job site is the better for the insurance companies. And the employer. The employers get all kinds of kickbacks and prizes for having x amount of days injury free.

And even to the point of the employer paying cash for a visit to immediate care for treatment for small injuries so as to not spoil the record.

Quote:First thing when someone on the job needs medical attention is a blood test. I had a few employees here and there that never understood that if they were unlucky one day and had alcohol or drugs in their system they have to cover their own medical, that I paid a lot of money so they would be covered. One day a guy was killed on the jobsite and turned out to have been drinking. His wife was devastated and also had to deal with how to pay for his burial. It wasn't one of my employees btw.

If these guys knew the results of drug use then they weren't unlucky. They were careless and created their own luck. Especially anyone who had alcohol in their system. That would mean they had to have been drinking the same day they were injured.
Past attempts at drug testing welfare recipients have not been cost effective.
I was the director of nurses of the largest hospital on the face of the earth. I had my RN license back, but I worked as an LVN just to get to the welfare to work RNs who let the patients rot while they stole the pain pills. I earned more than any physician there. I did it on pot.
(02-24-2014, 03:34 PM)csrowan Wrote: Past attempts at drug testing welfare recipients have not been cost effective.
Cost effective or not. If someone on welfare is using drugs that practically insures they can't get a job. It should also insure they they don't really need any help.
(02-24-2014, 03:34 PM)csrowan Wrote: Past attempts at drug testing welfare recipients have not been cost effective.

Lie detector tests are most effective.
(02-24-2014, 01:56 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Because we seem to tolerate such bull shit.
I suppose next you want to x-ray everyone going in and out of work.

Drug testing is an invasion of your privacy.
You might as well have your boss over too inspect you home before he hires you. Look at your credit card purchases, see your school records.
(02-24-2014, 09:45 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You might as well have your boss over too inspect you home before he hires you. Look at your credit card purchases, see your school records.

It is an invasion of your privacy. But you don't have to be drug tested. Just work somewhere else.
I might remind you that drug testing started when it was found out that a locomotive engineer high on pot killed sixteen people on the Amtrak train.

Quote:You might as well have your boss over too inspect you home before he hires you. Look at your credit card purchases, see your school records

If that's your analogy then explain how your messy home, credit card purchases or your school records can kill 16 people.
(02-24-2014, 10:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It is an invasion of your privacy. But you don't have to be drug tested. Just work somewhere else.
I might remind you that drug testing started when it was found out that a locomotive engineer high on pot killed sixteen people on the Amtrak train.

Quote:You might as well have your boss over too inspect you home before he hires you. Look at your credit card purchases, see your school records

If that's your analogy then explain how your messy home, credit card purchases or your school records can kill 16 people.

MJ didn't kill those people.
Quote: But investigators found he tampered with a device in his engine which would have automatically stopped his train at a closed switch.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-16/n...ar-history

He just happen to be stupid. I bet he would have tested positive for sugar. Doesn't mean sugar caused those death.
Cool It's Tuesday. Maybe I'll win the piss test lotto today.

I could use the money. And my job too.
(02-25-2014, 06:42 AM)oregon 67 Wrote: Cool It's Tuesday. Maybe I'll win the piss test lotto today.

I could use the money. And my job too.

Do they pay you for your body fluids?
You can sell your blood down at the blood bank. Some people sell their urine. Are you giving it away for free?
(02-25-2014, 12:19 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 10:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 01:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: The question is. why do you have to take a drug test?

MJ didn't kill those people.
Quote: But investigators found he tampered with a device in his engine which would have automatically stopped his train at a closed switch.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-16/n...ar-history

He just happen to be stupid. I bet he would have tested positive for sugar. Doesn't mean sugar caused those death.

HELLLLOOOOO the guy who caused the accident ADMITTED the accident would have never happened if not for the marijuana!
You seem to really love to glorify the use of a drug that mostly makes people stupid.

In a 1993 interview with the Baltimore Sun, Gates said the accident would have never happened if not for the marijuana.

Lets assume you are right even though you aren't. Do you think people should be stoned at work or not?
This incident was the beginning of drug testing. I understand the problem with today's drug testing.You can fail a drug test and they still don't know if you were actually high while you were at work.
So basically you get punished for something you did at home that had zero affect on your job.
That's not right. It's not fair. But how else do they stop pot heads from smoking at work?

Investigation, charges and conviction

At first, Gates and Cromwell denied smoking marijuana. However, they later tested positive for the substance. A National Transportation Safety Board investigation revealed that had Gates slowed down at the signals as required, he would have stopped in time. It also determined that Gates and Cromwell's marijuana use was the "probable cause" of the accident.[3] Gates and Cromwell were immediately suspended by Conrail pending an internal investigation, but resigned rather than face certain termination.

Gates was eventually charged with manslaughter by locomotive; under Maryland law a locomotive is a motor vehicle. Prosecutors cut a deal with Cromwell in which he agreed to testify against Gates in return for immunity. Gates was sentenced to five years in state prison and one year's probation, and was later sentenced to an additional three years on federal charges of lying to the NTSB. Gates' history of DWI (driving while intoxicated) convictions as well as his admission that the crew had been using marijuana while on duty led for a call to certify locomotive engineers as to their qualifications and history.[3]

Toxicology tests on the Amtrak engineer's body returned negative and, in fact, his actions served only to reduce the severity of the wreck by slowing his train from 125 to 108 mph (201 to 174 km/h).

Gates was released from prison in 1992 after serving four years, and now works as an abuse counselor. In a 1993 interview with the Baltimore Sun, Gates said the accident would have never happened if not for the marijuana. He also revealed he'd smoked marijuana on the job several times.[3]

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/...tudy-finds

Fatal car crashes from pot up 300%.
Quote:In an endnote to the study, the researchers pointed to several limitations with the research. One is that marijuana can be detected in the blood up to one week after use. And, therefore, the researchers said, "the prevalence of nonalcohol drugs reported in this study should be interpreted as an indicator of drug use, not necessarily a measurement of drug impairment."

Another interpretation might be that marijuana use has increased 300%, and fatal car crashes from pot may not have been affected at all.
Here's how marijuana affects driving: