Stalking Cougar Killed By 11 Year Old Girl
I like this family a lot. This is the right way to raise kids.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-week.html
Unrelated, but there was something in the paper the other day about Oregon hasn't had cougar attacks on humans. Apparently Oregon cougars know where the borderline is and are all cool.
This was obviously an anomaly and good thing for all concerned. The cat was starving and needed to be put down.
(02-27-2014, 08:33 AM)Larry Wrote: I like this family a lot. This is the right way to raise kids.

It's a good way to raise kids if that's what you want to do. It's not necessarily the "right" way.Smiling
(02-27-2014, 11:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 08:33 AM)Larry Wrote: I like this family a lot. This is the right way to raise kids.

It's a good way to raise kids if that's what you want to do. It's not necessarily the "right" way.Smiling

The "left" way is to turn and run and you just have to be fast enough to not be in last place by the time to cougar catches up with you. Laughing
(02-27-2014, 11:33 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:

The "left" way is to turn and run and you just have to be fast enough to not be in last place by the time to cougar catches up with you. Laughing

I'm on the left. I would have killed it. The same is true with most of my friends. Everything to you is political. You are stuck in such a rut it's unbelievable.
You must listen to far right ideology tapes while you sleep.

Try an ORIGINAL thought some day.

The article is about kids being raised on a farm and being taught to use guns. Something that is disappearing.
Sadly the article is also about Habitat for cougars declining. It has nothing to do with the left or right.
(02-27-2014, 11:58 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 11:33 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:

I'm on the left. I would have killed it. The same is true with most of my friends. Everything to you is political. You are stuck in such a rut it's unbelievable.
You must listen to far right ideology tapes while you sleep.

Try an ORIGINAL thought some day.

The article is about kids being raised on a farm and being taught to use guns. Something that is disappearing.
Sadly the article is also about Habitat for cougars declining. It has nothing to do with the left or right.

Bingo.
It is those on both sides that are so over zealous in their political leanings that they bring it into everything, that are holding our country back, in my opinion. And, the sad thing is, the talking heads make their livings perpetuating such things, and the sheep that blindly follow them facilitate that wrong in our world.
(02-27-2014, 09:46 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Unrelated, but there was something in the paper the other day about Oregon hasn't had cougar attacks on humans. Apparently Oregon cougars know where the borderline is and are all cool.

How about the little boy that disappeared at Crater Lake a few years back?

it sure sounded like a cougar got him.
(02-27-2014, 01:47 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 09:46 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Unrelated, but there was something in the paper the other day about Oregon hasn't had cougar attacks on humans. Apparently Oregon cougars know where the borderline is and are all cool.

Unsubstantiated rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.
(02-27-2014, 02:54 PM)gapper Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 01:47 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Unsubstantiated rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Or just someones guess, same thing I suppose. This kid was autistic if I remember right. He could have wandered off and actually hid from searchers.
Cougars or bears could have scavenged on his already dead body. I believe both animals have a habit of covering or hiding their food.
This could explain why nothing, so far, was ever found.
I can't remember where I read this. But I know it was in the last couple of weeks.
I think the reason for no cougar attacks in Oregon is because there's plenty of food available for them to hunt. In Cali it's a bit different. Humans have basically taken over their habitat and their food availability is scarce. They're hungry and they resort to attacking humans. Just my opinion.
(02-28-2014, 05:17 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: I think the reason for no cougar attacks in Oregon is because there's plenty of food available for them to hunt. In Cali it's a bit different. Humans have basically taken over their habitat and their food availability is scarce. They're hungry and they resort to attacking humans. Just my opinion.

We had an attack just the other side of the border a few years back. As I recall somebody swimming in the Smith river. The question is, How often does a cougar get caught attacking humans?

How often do people vanish and are never heard from again?

How many homeless people go into an area a cougar might be? (under bridges and back up into some trees) If they disappear, do we notice?

How often do people even find, the remains of a cougar kill?
(02-28-2014, 08:19 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 05:17 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: I think the reason for no cougar attacks in Oregon is because there's plenty of food available for them to hunt. In Cali it's a bit different. Humans have basically taken over their habitat and their food availability is scarce. They're hungry and they resort to attacking humans. Just my opinion.

We had an attack just the other side of the border a few years back. As I recall somebody swimming in the Smith river. The question is, How often does a cougar get caught attacking humans?

How many homeless people go into an area a cougar might be? (under bridges and back up into some trees) If they disappear, do we notice?

Cougars don't need to nor do they want to feed on humans. Animals work off of their instincts. They have preyed on certain animals for tens of thousands of years before many humans were even around.
They are basically cowardly or careful animals who prey on animals that can't fight back. I believe their instincts tells them we are all wrong as far as being prey. Our scent to them is most likely something that have leaned to fear. A reminder of cars guns, chain saws, fire, and nothing good.

Having said that things are changing in some places. Hunters are not allowed to use the tools to hunt cougars and be successful. So more cats and less habitat for them means they end up too near humans looking for food and killing pets and livestock.
That's something the animal lovers didn't think about. It's not a matter of IF a cougar will kill someone. IMO it's a matter of WHEN. And because of their cautious nature it will probably be someone small.

I'm no expert, this is just my opinion.Big Grin
(03-01-2014, 12:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 08:19 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Cougars don't need to nor do they want to feed on humans. Animals work off of their instincts. They have preyed on certain animals for tens of thousands of years before many humans were even around.
They are basically cowardly or careful animals who prey on animals that can't fight back. I believe their instincts tells them we are all wrong as far as being prey. Our scent to them is most likely something that have leaned to fear. A reminder of cars guns, chain saws, fire, and nothing good.

Having said that things are changing in some places. Hunters are not allowed to use the tools to hunt cougars and be successful. So more cats and less habitat for them means they end up too near humans looking for food and killing pets and livestock.
That's something the animal lovers didn't think about. It's not a matter of IF a cougar will kill someone. IMO it's a matter of WHEN. And because of their cautious nature it will probably be someone small.

I'm no expert, this is just my opinion.Big Grin

Look up cougar attacks in o'neil park california. They snatch people off of their bicycles there.