Debate sections re-opened
(03-05-2014, 01:33 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:40 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:05 AM)cletus1 Wrote: You also have to be logged on under your user name. You can't access that section as a guest. Perhaps that why I don't see a lot of users/readers in that section. Everyone likes to hide including myself. Well not hide exactly, but I typically don't log in until I want to post.

I'm always logged on. If I want to click on "new threads" That function isn't there if I'm not logged on.

Quote:Everyone likes to hide including myself. Well not hide exactly, but I typically don't log in until I want to post.

Yer just weird, what's the point in doing that weirdo.
Everybody is just weird then. Do you think we ever have 25 real guests here?

I do because I'm gullible.

Let's ask posters if they always browse the site logged on or if they use the invisible feature or hang out as guests. I recall Ponder commenting to me once about not my apparent non use of the invisible feature. I still never use it, but I log off when not posting and when I revisit the site I am automatically in guest mode until I log on again. I would bet plenty of members read posts as guests until they decide to post.

I never browse as a guest but if I'm on a weekend getaway I'll sometimes login as someone else. Eyebrows Big Grin
(03-04-2014, 10:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 10:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You can't get into the debates section? They saw you coming a mile away.Laughing

It says I gotta join the group but then it says I am already in the group and that's as far ass I get. Catch 22.

I checked and you're in the group for access. When you browse the home page, does it look like the image below?

[Image: XZjoSz4.png]
(03-05-2014, 12:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:05 AM)cletus1 Wrote: You also have to be logged on under your user name. You can't access that section as a guest. Perhaps that why I don't see a lot of users/readers in that section. Everyone likes to hide including myself. Well not hide exactly, but I typically don't log in until I want to post.

I'm always logged on. If I want to click on "new threads" That function isn't there if I'm not logged on.

Quote:Everyone likes to hide including myself. Well not hide exactly, but I typically don't log in until I want to post.

Let's ask posters if they always browse the site logged on or if they use the invisible feature or hang out as guests. I recall Ponder commenting to me once about not my apparent non use of the invisible feature. I still never use it, but I log off when not posting and when I revisit the site I am automatically in guest mode until I log on again. I would bet plenty of members read posts as guests until they decide to post.

Originally, I logged in as visible all the time, but then people would spy on me. I ended up having at least one person use the forum feature that lets you see who's doing what to let everyone know that I was reporting a post. Of course, that person was a troll who loved making reportable posts, but still...

After that, I switched to invisible. But I keep the "log me in automatically" checked. No one else shares my computers. Why bother logging out?
(03-05-2014, 09:42 AM)csrowan Wrote: Originally, I logged in as visible all the time, but then people would spy on me. I ended up having at least one person use the forum feature that lets you see who's doing what to let everyone know that I was reporting a post. Of course, that person was a troll who loved making reportable posts, but still...

After that, I switched to invisible. But I keep the "log me in automatically" checked. No one else shares my computers. Why bother logging out?
I don't like you staring at me.
I can close the window without logging out, you know. Razz
(03-05-2014, 09:42 AM)csrowan Wrote: Originally, I logged in as visible all the time, but then people would spy on me. I ended up having at least one person use the forum feature that lets you see who's doing what to let everyone know that I was reporting a post. Of course, that person was a troll who loved making reportable posts, but still...

Ditto! My hubby used to lurk on my account every now and then... until he actually got his own account. But... I never bother logging out... even on Tapatalk on my phone.
(03-05-2014, 09:42 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:15 AM)tvguy Wrote: I'm always logged on. If I want to click on "new threads" That function isn't there if I'm not logged on.

Originally, I logged in as visible all the time, but then people would spy on me. I ended up having at least one person use the forum feature that lets you see who's doing what to let everyone know that I was reporting a post. Of course, that person was a troll who loved making reportable posts, but still...

EGGzactly, why bother.
(03-05-2014, 09:40 AM)RogueValleyForum.com Staff Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 10:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 10:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You can't get into the debates section? They saw you coming a mile away.Laughing

It says I gotta join the group but then it says I am already in the group and that's as far ass I get. Catch 22.

I checked and you're in the group for access. When you browse the home page, does it look like the image below?

[Image: XZjoSz4.png]

Yes. It looks like this and says I can't leave my primary group.

[img][Image: t015hc.jpg][/img]
Ahh! The header inviting to join/leave is always there (limitation of the software). There's no need to change your primary group, access is managed by joining the "secondary" group. Basically, if you join the Debate group, those forums and posts in them will appear; if you leave it, they're no longer visible to you (for those who don't want to be part of it).

Since you're joined, do those 4 additional forums appear on the home page? Are you able to click in to access them?

Thanks!

-Kam
In other words, there's no need to click on the link "Accessing the Debate Section". You already have access.

It's only if you weren't registered that you would need to click on that. Then it would show that you weren't registered, and you'd have the choice to join the group. Or, if you didn't want to see all the debate threads (as is the case with some people here), you can click on "Leave Group", and never again see a single debate thread.
(03-05-2014, 12:51 PM)kgasso Wrote: Ahh! The header inviting to join/leave is always there (limitation of the software). There's no need to change your primary group, access is managed by joining the "secondary" group. Basically, if you join the Debate group, those forums and posts in them will appear; if you leave it, they're no longer visible to you (for those who don't want to be part of it).

Since you're joined, do those 4 additional forums appear on the home page? Are you able to click in to access them?

No, now those four forums don't appear. They did before so DUH I guess all I had to do was click on themSad
My bad, I thought I had to go through the "accessing the debate section part".

Oh well I never claimed I was the sharpest pencil in the crayon box.

So anyway I had to RE loin the group and now I get the whole deal... DERRRrrrrrRazz
(03-05-2014, 09:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

HeY Cleter I just figgered it out. It's an OCD thing. You KNOW you don't NEED to log off but you feel like you HAVE toLaughing I told you it was coming.
Pretty soon you will be all stressed out if your tomatoes aren't all lined up in perfect orderLaughing Oh wait a tic, they already areRazz
(03-05-2014, 01:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:51 PM)kgasso Wrote: Ahh! The header inviting to join/leave is always there (limitation of the software). There's no need to change your primary group, access is managed by joining the "secondary" group. Basically, if you join the Debate group, those forums and posts in them will appear; if you leave it, they're no longer visible to you (for those who don't want to be part of it).

No, now those four forums don't appear. They did before so DUH I guess all I had to do was click on themSad
My bad, I thought I had to go through the "accessing the debate section part".

Oh well I never claimed I was the sharpest pencil in the crayon box.

So anyway I had to RE loin the group and now I get the whole deal... DERRRrrrrrRazz

I don't know that I want to be part of any group that you're re loining. Twitch

Wait, you mean you were loining them before? Ew….

Razz
(03-05-2014, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 09:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

HeY Cleter I just figgered it out. It's an OCD thing. You KNOW you don't NEED to log off but you feel like you HAVE toLaughing I told you it was coming.
Pretty soon you will be all stressed out if your tomatoes aren't all lined up in perfect orderLaughing Oh wait a tic, they already areRazz

It's not that bad yet. I never meant to suggest I log off and on. I just log off when I am not going to be posting for a while, like when I go to bed. I don't want anyone waiting in anticipation for my next post because they think I am here when I am sound asleep. It's out of consideration for all of you that I log off.
It only shows someone logged on when they're active. If you don't log off, and you don't click around, the system gives you a soft log off. It recognizes that you aren't really logged on. But if you click "log out", you are telling your computer to log out of the system and to delete whatever login cookies you have, so that the next time you come to the site you'll have to go through the whole login process again.

It's a lot simpler to just tell the system to remember your computer and log you in automatically when you visit the site. It will also log you out automatically (as far as telling people you're here and such) when you don't click on anything for five minutes or so.

Then, if you want to stop having it log you in automatically, for whatever reason, that's when you actually click on the "log out" link.
(03-05-2014, 02:05 PM)csrowan Wrote: It only shows someone logged on when they're active. If you don't log off, and you don't click around, the system gives you a soft log off. It recognizes that you aren't really logged on. But if you click "log out", you are telling your computer to log out of the system and to delete whatever login cookies you have, so that the next time you come to the site you'll have to go through the whole login process again.

It's a lot simpler to just tell the system to remember your computer and log you in automatically when you visit the site. It will also log you out automatically (as far as telling people you're here and such) when you don't click on anything for five minutes or so.

Then, if you want to stop having it log you in automatically, for whatever reason, that's when you actually click on the "log out" link.

Bingo bingo bingo. But Cletus can't help it. Logging off is part of a sequence he has to do. It's right before he combs the fringe on the rug, aligns the three vases perfectly and checks 17 times to see if the door is locked .

I kill myselfRazz
(03-05-2014, 02:05 PM)csrowan Wrote: It only shows someone logged on when they're active. If you don't log off, and you don't click around, the system gives you a soft log off. It recognizes that you aren't really logged on. But if you click "log out", you are telling your computer to log out of the system and to delete whatever login cookies you have, so that the next time you come to the site you'll have to go through the whole login process again.

I don't mind the extra work if it keeps you all from eye balling me.
(03-05-2014, 03:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Dude did you even read what Rowan said? Dude!
(03-05-2014, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 03:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Dude did you even read what Rowan said? Dude!
Dude your ownself. I read it and comprehend it. Do you not get my drift? Sometimes I like lurking which means I like reading, but don't want you to see that I am reading.
Whatever it takes to keep TV from RE loining you, Clete. Big Grin