Airliner runds out of gas? Huh?
(CNN) -- A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and has likely run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji told CNN's "AC360."

The airline said in a statement that Subang Air Traffic Control in Malaysia lost contact with Flight MH370 at 2:40 a.m. (1:40 p.m. ET Friday).
The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur for Beijing at 12:41 a.m.
The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur for Beijing at 12:41 a.m.

The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:41 a.m. and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., a 2,300-mile (3,700 kilometer) trip.

It was carrying 227 passengers, two of them infants, and 12 crew members, it said.

The jet was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel and would likely have run out of fuel, Sharuji said.

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft," the statement said. The public can call +603 7884 1234 for further information.

Efforts to contact the plane had been fruitless.

"We're closely monitoring reports on Malaysia flight MH370," Boeing said in a tweet. "Our thoughts are with everyone on board."

"It doesn't sound very good," retired American Airlines Capt. Jim Tilmon told CNN's "AC360." He noted that the route is mostly overland, which means that there would be plenty of antennae, radar and radios to contact the plane.

"I've been trying to come up with every scenario that I could just to explain this away, but I haven't been very successful."

He said the plane is "about as sophisticated as any commercial airplane could possibly be," with an excellent safety record.

There is one recent blemish: An Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 carrying 291 passengers struck a seawall at San Francisco International Airport in July 2013, killing three people and wounding dozens more.

Malaysia Airlines operates in Southeast Asia, East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and on the route between Europe and Australasia.

The airline's roots date back to 1937, when it operated passenger and cargo flights in Malaysia.

In April 1942, it was incorporated as Malaysia Airways Limited; it later became Malaysia Airlines.

The airline has its headquarters and registered office at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Malaysia, and its main airline hub is at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, according to its website.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/asia...?hpt=hp_t1
Obama's fault?
I don't think it ran out of fuel in the way you think. (or made it sound by your title) It had about a 6 hour flight with enough fuel for 7 1/2 hours. An hour and a half extra fuel doesn't sound like a big enough margin for my liking. The statement should have stated if it didn't land somewhere it would have had to run out of fuel.
(03-07-2014, 07:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I don't think it ran out of fuel in the way you think. (or made it sound by your title) It had about a 6 hour flight with enough fuel for 7 1/2 hours. An hour and a half extra fuel doesn't sound like a big enough margin for my liking. The statement should have stated if it didn't land somewhere it would have had to run out of fuel.

I was a little loose with the facts on porpoise Cool Yeah and extra hour and a half worth of fuel was all they had??
Of course that's better than what John Denver had.
(03-07-2014, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 07:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I don't think it ran out of fuel in the way you think. (or made it sound by your title) It had about a 6 hour flight with enough fuel for 7 1/2 hours. An hour and a half extra fuel doesn't sound like a big enough margin for my liking. The statement should have stated if it didn't land somewhere it would have had to run out of fuel.

I was a little loose with the facts on porpoise Cool Yeah and extra hour and a half worth of fuel was all they had??

Did John Denver run out of fuel? I never knew anymore than he died in a airplane crash.
(03-07-2014, 10:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Did John Denver run out of fuel?

Pretty much.

John Denver Plane Crash Inquiry Ends
June 23, 1998|From Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Low fuel, a hard-to-reach handle to switch gas tanks and modifications to his homemade airplane may have figured in the crash that killed singer John Denver last year, federal investigators said Monday.

The National Transportation Safety Board, wrapping up the fact-finding phase of its investigation into the Oct. 12 crash, also confirmed that Denver lacked an aviation medical certificate--a requirement for a valid pilot's license--at the time of the crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration had disqualified Denver for the certificate in March 1997, after learning that he had violated a previous FAA order to abstain from drinking. Denver had received the warning in 1995 after being arrested for drunken driving. An autopsy showed no signs of alcohol or drugs in Denver's body at the time of the plane crash off the California coast.

While drawing no conclusions, the report suggests factors that may have contributed to the crash that killed the 53-year-old singer-songwriter, famous for such hits as "Rocky Mountain High" and "Sunshine on My Shoulders."

First, Denver's plane almost certainly was low on fuel when he took off from the Monterey Peninsula Airport in the late afternoon to practice takeoffs and landings. Denver bought the plane only two weeks earlier from another pilot.

In the interim, the plane was taken on a test flight, flown to Monterey and then flown on the day of the crash. Investigators said that activity would have used 12 to 17 gallons of gas, but the last known quantity on board was 15 gallons before the test flight. There was no record of Denver refueling the plane.

If one of the two fuel tanks had gone dry and the engine had started to sputter, there were indications that Denver would have had trouble switching to the other tank.

The plans for the Long E-Z kit aircraft say that the fuel selector handle--which switches the fuel flow between the left and right tanks--should be located between the pilot's legs. But the plane's builder, aircraft maker Adrian Davis Jr., said he put it behind the pilot's left shoulder because he did not want fuel in the cockpit.

On the day of the crash, Denver and a maintenance technician talked about the inaccessibility of the handle. "They tried a pair of Vise-Grip pliers on the handle to extend the reach of the handle, but this did not work," the report said.

Under those circumstances, the pilot would have had to remove his shoulder harness, turn around and switch the handle.
I always thought it was because he was drunk.
(03-08-2014, 12:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I always thought it was because he was drunk.

Maybe he was when ever it was that he was supposed to be fueling up the planeRazz
(03-08-2014, 12:49 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 12:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I always thought it was because he was drunk.

Maybe he was when ever it was that he was supposed to be fueling up the planeRazz

Maybe I'm confusing him with Glen Campbell but I think he is still kickin. Laughing
Maybe they should expand their search to the moon
[Image: WWI%20Bomber%20on%20Moon%202.jpg]
Another instance of an airliner running out of fuel was the United Airlines Flight 173 in Portland, in December 1978. I was working when it happened but we went to see it the next morning.

It was strange to see the tail of the airplane hanging over Burnside Street. I thought the pilot did a good job of landing in the only available spot that wouldn't kill large numbers of people on the ground and in the plane. It sat right between some appartment buildings and a residential housing tract. The wing tips were not far from either one. Later they disassembled it and trucked it away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_173

I guess thats technically an "oops".
I bet someone acting in behalf of Islam. The Religion of Peace, is involved.

Quote: Stolen European passports on missing plane
Associated PressBy COLLEEN BARRY | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago

MILAN (AP) — Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is traveling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

A foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed Italian reports that Luigi Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

Italian news agency ANSA says Maraldi called home after hearing reports that an Italian with his name was aboard the plane.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss confirmed that a name listed on the manifest matches an Austrian passport reported stolen two years ago in Thailand. Weiss would not confirm the identity.
Oil Slick Is Sign Malaysia Airlines Jet Crashed Into Sea

By KEITH BRADSHERMARCH 8, 2014

HONG KONG — A 12-mile-long streak of oil across the surface waters of the Gulf of Thailand was an early clue to the mysterious disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines jet with 239 aboard that vanished in predawn darkness Saturday morning during a flight from Kuala Lumpur that was supposed to end in Beijing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/world/...light.html
(03-08-2014, 09:24 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Another instance of an airliner running out of fuel was the United Airlines Flight 173 in Portland, in December 1978. I was working when it happened but we went to see it the next morning.

It was strange to see the tail of the airplane hanging over Burnside Street. I thought the pilot did a good job of landing in the only available spot that wouldn't kill large numbers of people on the ground and in the plane. It sat right between some appartment buildings and a residential housing tract. The wing tips were not far from either one. Later they disassembled it and trucked it away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_173

I guess thats technically an "oops".

Yeah that's a uber oops
In this technical age I would have thought that any airline that went below a certain altitude would have an automatic signal sent out. Giving the exact coordinates.
UPDATE: Two people on the flight were using stolen passports. Terrorism and/or sabotage now suspected. Oil slicks found. Investigation proceeding.

http://iacknowledge.net/two-of-the-peopl...passports/
(03-08-2014, 03:09 PM)csrowan Wrote: UPDATE: Two people on the flight were using stolen passports. Terrorism and/or sabotage now suspected. Oil slicks found. Investigation proceeding.

One of which was stolen two years ago. Do they not check ID's electronically before boarding?
(03-08-2014, 03:09 PM)csrowan Wrote: UPDATE: Two people on the flight were using stolen passports. Terrorism and/or sabotage now suspected. Oil slicks found. Investigation proceeding.

I'm sure it wasn't the 'State of Jefferson Liberation Army'.
The SJLA only acts locally.
[Image: 600x372.jpg]

The Iranians who boarded the planes using stolen passports. See anything unusual?
(03-12-2014, 08:54 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: [Image: 600x372.jpg]

The Iranians who boarded the planes using stolen passports. See anything unusual?

They have the same legs that don't fit either one of them.