Thread For The Tech Impaired
(03-19-2014, 03:37 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Go to the Library and check out cd's.

The library does have a surprising number of CD's that you can put on your IPOD. Mine died. I suppose it is the battery. Currently have most of my music now on the phone.
(03-25-2014, 10:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

The library does have a surprising number of CD's that you can put on your IPOD. Mine died. I suppose it is the battery. Currently have most of my music now on the phone.

Maybe sell the smart phone, replace it with a "pay-go" and order a refurbished iPod Nano for 99 bucks. (My iPod died too…I just got the Nano and like it a lot…more than the bulkier "touch".
PS: My iPod did not actually "die". Just the jack for the earphones won't work (I've had it a LONG time). But, I have a speaker that accepts the iPod so I can listen to music "out loud" too.

I like the idea of a smart phone. Great device! But, as a retired guy I spend most of my online time at home, don't need to use the Web when out often and simply can't justify the cost and don't feel the need for all the other features.

I buy $100 of minutes on my "pay-go" (T-Mobil) and never use them all during the year. If I "renew" before the year expires they carry over. As of today I have 5,726 minutes for use. But, I don't chat a lot and never text. Still, works for me.

Just a thought. The major factor is my need for the iPod. I'm a podcast junky and can't live without it. Also addicted to NPR and listen to live radio over then net (I use Stitcher).

There is a place next to north freddies north entrance that can fix the ipod.
(03-25-2014, 10:31 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Maybe sell the smart phone, replace it with a "pay-go" and order a refurbished iPod Nano for 99 bucks. (My iPod died too…I just got the Nano and like it a lot…more than the bulkier "touch".
PS: My iPod did not actually "die". Just the jack for the earphones won't work (I've had it a LONG time). But, I have a speaker that accepts the iPod so I can listen to music "out loud" too.

I like the idea of a smart phone. Great device! But, as a retired guy I spend most of my online time at home, don't need to use the Web when out often and simply can't justify the cost and don't feel the need for all the other features.

I buy $100 of minutes on my "pay-go" (T-Mobil) and never use them all during the year. If I "renew" before the year expires they carry over. As of today I have 5,726 minutes for use. But, I don't chat a lot and never text. Still, works for me.

Just a thought. The major factor is my need for the iPod. I'm a podcast junky and can't live without it. Also addicted to NPR and listen to live radio over then net (I use Stitcher).

I could download podcasts too. And it has a radio. And I only pay $30 a month for it. So, I'm good.
(03-25-2014, 11:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I could download podcasts too. And it has a radio. And I only pay $30 a month for it. So, I'm good.

You bet. If I could find a deal that allowed me to use a smart phone for 30 bucks a month I'd choose that too.
But from stickily a frugal point, my pay-go phone costs me less ten bucks a month and the iPod nothing once I've bought it. So I save a couple of hundred bucks a year and spend it on other needless stuff. Stuff like meat. Laughing
(03-26-2014, 09:11 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-25-2014, 11:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

You bet. If I could find a deal that allowed me to use a smart phone for 30 bucks a month I'd choose that too.
But from stickily a frugal point, my pay-go phone costs me less ten bucks a month and the iPod nothing once I've bought it. So I save a couple of hundred bucks a year and spend it on other needless stuff. Stuff like meat. Laughing

I think I spend more time texting than talking. If I didn't have this deal, I'd probably go your route.
(03-25-2014, 08:32 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Does anyone use Flickr? It's new to me because image shack, that I have used for years, started charging for their site. All the recent photos I posted on RVF are from Flickr but now I can't for the life of me post any now. (I've been trying for almost an hour!) Mad They are sitting right next to the pizza and plants and I can't get a link that will work here. Where am I going wrong?

You need to navigate to the "all sizes" page for the photo, which is hard to find. But it's still there. When you get to the fancy new page for the photo, with the black background and the sidebar on the right that has all that information and the unlabeled icons (grrrr), one if them either takes you where you need to go or has a list of additional options, one of which is where you need to go.

I'm doing this all by memory at the moment. When I get to a computer, I might give you better instructions.
(03-26-2014, 09:41 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(03-25-2014, 08:32 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Does anyone use Flickr? It's new to me because image shack, that I have used for years, started charging for their site. All the recent photos I posted on RVF are from Flickr but now I can't for the life of me post any now. (I've been trying for almost an hour!) Mad They are sitting right next to the pizza and plants and I can't get a link that will work here. Where am I going wrong?

You need to navigate to the "all sizes" page for the photo, which is hard to find. But it's still there. When you get to the fancy new page for the photo, with the black background and the sidebar on the right that has all that information and the unlabeled icons (grrrr), one if them either takes you where you need to go or has a list of additional options, one of which is where you need to go.

I'm doing this all by memory at the moment. When I get to a computer, I might give you better instructions.

Thanks. I was all over that page and tried everything. Like I said, I used it for a few other photos earlier in the week and didn't have any trouble.

Anyway I'm done there. Smiling Opened a Photobucket and am back in business.

See....

[Image: DSCF2143_zpsd3369c7f.jpg]
Don't you hate it when they "Improve" sites that you are comfortable with? Photobucket did that too. It's harder to work than it was.
Do you mind giving me a link to the Flickr page you want the photo from? You've made me curious. You can send it in a PM if you don't want everyone else seeing your Flickr account. Or you can just tell me to buzz off.

The other possibility I can think of is that something in your settings got changed, and you need to change it back to allow sharing of photos.
(03-26-2014, 10:43 AM)csrowan Wrote: Do you mind giving me a link to the Flickr page you want the photo from? You've made me curious. You can send it in a PM if you don't want everyone else seeing your Flickr account. Or you can just tell me to buzz off.

The other possibility I can think of is that something in your settings got changed, and you need to change it back to allow sharing of photos.

I will when I return.... Ja! Big Grin
I post here with tinypic. I think it's faster than Photobucket. And after I used it awhile it stopped making me type in the words.
(03-26-2014, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I post here with tinypic. I think it's faster than Photobucket. And after I used it awhile it stopped making me type in the words.

I thought that site was where Scar or Simon or someone posted upside down photos from so I went with Photobucket.
I had issues with upsidedown photos and tinypic as well. I don't know if it's tinypic specifically or if it's other systems as well. But it seems specific to iPod and iPhone.
I Doubt it's tinypic that makes the pics upside down. It has never done that to me.
It's really quick to use TP. I was going to post this pic and time myself but it took a lot longer to upload because I chose a picture to post that I took with my new 18 MP cameraSmiling This pic of my fish is 9.2 MBRazz

[Image: 20pq4oz.jpg]
It's something with tinypic, but ONLY with photos taken with iPod and iPhone cameras. I've also had videos I've taken with my iPod get turned upsidedown when I loaded them onto an Android tablet via a PC. Not sure if they were upsidedown on the PC, though. I didn't check.
(03-26-2014, 05:53 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's something with tinypic, but ONLY with photos taken with iPod and iPhone cameras. I've also had videos I've taken with my iPod get turned upsidedown when I loaded them onto an Android tablet via a PC. Not sure if they were upsidedown on the PC, though. I didn't check.

Your holding your phone upside down when your snapping pictures.
And yet, they show up fine on my Mac. And on my iPod. And on Facebook. And Flickr.
(03-26-2014, 08:21 PM)csrowan Wrote: And yet, they show up fine on my Mac. And on my iPod. And on Facebook. And Flickr.

Probably something Steve thought up. Apple always had a way to screw up non Apple products.
Anyone still running XP? Microsoft Security Essentials will stop supporting XP in a few days so my daughters computer will need to switch to something else. Any suggestions for the free versions out there? Thanks.