Riding into the sunset, who are you?
I been on this forum a very long time, back to the Mail Tribune days. I will still be here but it seems to be sunsetting. I appreciate all the work by the mod/owner and will say it's been a good time. I am on FaceBook. PM if you wish to keep the conversations going both here and there. Many people I would miss and do miss.
I'd hate to wake up one morning and see it all gone.
Is this preemptive action?
(03-24-2014, 01:20 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: I been on this forum a very long time, back to the Mail Tribune days. I will still be here but it seems to be sunsetting. I appreciate all the work by the mod/owner and will say it's been a good time. I am on FaceBook. PM if you wish to keep the conversations going both here and there. Many people I would miss and do miss.
I'd hate to wake up one morning and see it all gone.

Willie, you nut.
You KNOW better.
You can't leave without a vote allowing you to do so.
And Willie, you don't have a chance of getting that vote.
It must suck riding in to the sunset when you don't have a visor.
I'm going nowhere but if it fails (the forum) it's just my way of sayin keep in touch.

Thanks Wonk, TV I can see clearly now, can you play it on that guitar?

Tia, in a way yes. We'll all be here but we really have no control as to how long the forum will be. No jumping ship, just a plan B. I would miss most people that are here.
If I went out to the Tolo Tavern looking for the lost I might get stuck with Larry, and he is always fun. Really he is, a nice person.
(03-24-2014, 06:25 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: I'm going nowhere but if it fails (the forum) it's just my way of sayin keep in touch.

Tia, in a way yes. We'll all be here but we really have no control as to how long the forum will be. No jumping ship, just a plan B. I would miss most people that are here.
If I went out to the Tolo Tavern looking for the lost I might get stuck with Larry, and he is always fun. Really he is, a nice person.
I'm so out of this place too. It is boring me to pieces. For all the peace nics that complained that we are a bunch of abrupt and rude assholes, now that we are forced into niceness, I don't see any of you fluff monkeys posting to take up the slack.

Send emails via PM just in case I mean it. I will check in a few times as the doctor lowers my dosage. Not everyone can quit cold turkey like Leonard and Ponder.
(03-24-2014, 07:33 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-24-2014, 06:25 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: I'm going nowhere but if it fails (the forum) it's just my way of sayin keep in touch.

I'm so out of this place too. It is boring me to pieces. For all the peace nics that complained that we are a bunch of abrupt and rude assholes, now that we are forced into niceness, I don't see any of you fluff monkeys posting to take up the slack.

Send emails via PM just in case I mean it. I will check in a few times as the doctor lowers my dosage. Not everyone can quit cold turkey like Leonard and Ponder.

I really hope your are joking! (Bad joke). Or, maybe slipping into a little bit of what Winston Churchill called "That old blue dog". I'm not trying to diagnose; just wondering.
Clete, you are a "founding member" and without you this place would be just far too different. I'm not blowing smoke when I say that if you go, this place dies.

We can still have heated debates and ongoing disagreements while adhering to the "rules" now in place.

Hang in there. If nothing else we need your travel updates. Smiling
I'm still waiting for the niceness. I've yet to see it.

As for debates, it's hard to have those when people don't understand how to construct a solid argument, how to deconstruct one, or how to build premises on which to construct one, much less how to attack the argument, the supporting premises, or construct an alternative argument that specifically counters the original argument.

Ad hominem, however, we're very good at.
(03-24-2014, 08:21 PM)csrowan Wrote: I'm still waiting for the niceness. I've yet to see it.

As for debates, it's hard to have those when people don't understand how to construct a solid argument, how to deconstruct one, or how to build premises on which to construct one, much less how to attack the argument, the supporting premises, or construct an alternative argument that specifically counters the original argument.

When your'e right your'e right.
You are right.
I've long felt we could find "our better selves" and try to follow what you suggest. (All the while admitting my own guilt in contributing to the mess we often make here).

A caveat. While I agree with your post, I'd remind you that we don't want the entire forum to be about argument and debate. We also enjoy Clete's travel trips, Scrappy's spicy food, TVg's addiction to Craig's List, movies, etc.

But your point is good: When engaged in "conversation" about serious topics, we should follow the guidelines you suggest.

Show is the way.
(03-24-2014, 07:33 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

There are many reasons I hope you don't leave but I was just about to ask you all to help identify a tropical plant in the garden thread. Who around here is as tropical as you? Mad Yes I'm selfish and only worry about how your leaving affects me. Razz

Well Willie, There is no Tolo tavern anymore, and besides... it's not the one we went to for Prayer Mettings. It Was TouVelle Tavernacle.

On topic....

I'm already gone......
(03-24-2014, 08:21 PM)csrowan Wrote: I'm still waiting for the niceness. I've yet to see it.

Allowing anyone the right and ability to argue their point, in whatever manner they chose, WAS part of the charm here, instead of the "Marquess of Queensberry rules" bullshit that it evolved into.

So unlike Wonky, I absolutely disagree with your post on a very fundamental level. And oh yeah, screw you! Wink
I have no idea why I'm such a lousy communicator. I am not going anywhere. I have seen forums come and go and friends are scattered to the wind. Like grandpa you don't need to read a book to understand why he doesn't buy green bananas.

Larry I knew I had it wrong but figure you'd set me straight and glad to see you are still out there.
I administer a number of facebook pages. I could just tell you my name and ask for friend request but "who are you?"
PM me and we can send friend requests. Thanks so far for the ones that have responded.
(03-25-2014, 07:10 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: I have no idea why I'm such a lousy communicator. I am not going anywhere. I have seen forums come and go and friends are scattered to the wind. Like grandpa you don't need to read a book to understand why he doesn't buy green bananas.

Larry I knew I had it wrong but figure you'd set me straight and glad to see you are still out there.
I administer a number of facebook pages. I could just tell you my name and ask for friend request but "who are you?"
PM me and we can send friend requests. Thanks so far for the ones that have responded.

Thumbs Up

Well, Rowan, I believe you are going to see that anywhere except some intellectual forum. Constructing debate forensics and proper argument come from a knowledge of the process for the most part. When people debate in podunk local forums, they tend to post from the hip so to speak rather than from cerebellum.

And I think you are just looking for the bad side. There is niceness here. I see it all the time.
Perhaps I should have said that I've yet to see continual civility.

And I'm not looking for formal forensics. Just a bit less of the going-for-the-jugular mentality. Especially when it leads to missing the point entirely or complete thread derailment.
(03-25-2014, 05:34 AM)Larry Wrote:

Allowing anyone the right and ability to argue their point, in whatever manner they chose, WAS part of the charm here, instead of the "Marquess of Queensberry rules" bullshit that it evolved into.

So unlike Wonky, I absolutely disagree with your post on a very fundamental level. And oh yeah, screw you! Wink

I concur Larry! We should definitely go back to spikes on boxing shoes!!

Oh. Wait. You're talking about the forum.....Neutral Welll............then, I concur! We should definitely go back to being allowed to have spikes on our shoes!!Big Grin
(03-25-2014, 10:22 AM)csrowan Wrote: Perhaps I should have said that I've yet to see continual civility.

And I'm not looking for formal forensics. Just a bit less of the going-for-the-jugular mentality. Especially when it leads to missing the point entirely or complete thread derailment.

Well, I hate to drag up old bodies, but really, I just don't understand how people come into an established territory where people chose the rules and tone and come in and demand a change in the rules and tone.
I never demanded a change to the rules. I only explained that I felt it would be a better forum if people followed the rules that were posted, and that I didn't understand why the rules were posted if they weren't meant to be followed.
(03-25-2014, 10:44 AM)csrowan Wrote: I never demanded a change to the rules. I only explained that I felt it would be a better forum if people followed the rules that were posted, and that I didn't understand why the rules were posted if they weren't meant to be followed.

I didn't say you did.