Recipes/Food Chat
(12-21-2015, 10:45 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 10:06 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 08:37 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Look here, you kale eating natural food fanatic; gluten free is not a healthier alternative. It's for people that have certain allergies or other health problems. You did not get sick because a bread roll was mistakenly put on your organic spinach and arugula salad. And you didn't get ill because they rolled out your gluten free dough on the same table they roll the regular dough on.

You even think you know when there is MSG in your Chinese food because of the way it makes you "feel" but you don't. You have just jumped on the latest craze in diet. The next time I hear you bitching to the waitress, I will loudly order pizza with extra gluten while smirking at you.

Edit: I'm not really annoyed, I just overheard some discussion of gluten,by what appeared to be a food nazi and a waitress. Saul Goodman!  Smiling

I actually use MSG as an ingredient.

Umami.  Smiling
Who's mommy?  Laughing
Since my health is now directly related to my diet, (always was, but I ignored it), I'm less likely to criticize others' routines and obsessions.
(12-21-2015, 10:45 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 10:06 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 08:37 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Look here, you kale eating natural food fanatic; gluten free is not a healthier alternative. It's for people that have certain allergies or other health problems. You did not get sick because a bread roll was mistakenly put on your organic spinach and arugula salad. And you didn't get ill because they rolled out your gluten free dough on the same table they roll the regular dough on.

You even think you know when there is MSG in your Chinese food because of the way it makes you "feel" but you don't. You have just jumped on the latest craze in diet. The next time I hear you bitching to the waitress, I will loudly order pizza with extra gluten while smirking at you.

Edit: I'm not really annoyed, I just overheard some discussion of gluten,by what appeared to be a food nazi and a waitress. Saul Goodman!  Smiling

I actually use MSG as an ingredient.

Umami.  Smiling

Why are we whispering!?
(12-21-2015, 12:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 10:45 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Umami.  Smiling

Why are we whispering!?

Sorry, not following you on the whispering thing.  Laughing Do you get whispering when googling umami?

Umami is the most subtle "taste" a person has, along with sweet, sour, salty and bitter.

http://www.umamiinfo.com/2011/02/What-ex...-umami.php
(12-21-2015, 01:29 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Why are we whispering!?

Sorry, not following you on the whispering thing.  Laughing Do you get whispering when googling umami?

Umami is the most subtle "taste" a person has, along with sweet, sour, salty and bitter.

It was a joke.  You printed "Umami" in a smaller font. Looked like "whispering" to me.  I couldn't think of another reason for the smaller print.  I'm familiar with Umami.  Not sure I get it, exactly, but I know what it is.
(12-21-2015, 03:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Why are we whispering!?

It was a joke.  You printed "Umami" in a smaller font. Looked like "whispering" to me.  I couldn't think of another reason for the smaller print.  I'm familiar with Umami.  Not sure I get it, exactly, but I know what it is.

Maybe my mini tablet is printing mini letters. Smiling
(12-21-2015, 03:29 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 03:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Why are we whispering!?

Maybe my mini tablet is printing mini letters. Smiling

OK, Mini.  Wink I thought we were sharing secrets or something. Embarrassed
you have secrets?
(12-21-2015, 05:48 PM)bbqboy Wrote: you have secrets?

Lots.  But the MSG one is blown.
Continued from the weather thread.

This place has a HUGE seafood selection. I saw one of these in there a couple of weeks ago.  Surprised I didn't buy it but I will next time I see one. I had one in Hawaii that was rubbed with mayo, covered with rock salt and then baked. Awesome!

[Image: o.jpg]
[Image: 564441_1217181924962953_4873362195870661...e=57092BCC]
1 out of 3 = FAIL 
I like my meals in a bowl. I request my lunch salad in a bowl at Wild River. Last night we had Chicken Enchiladas(homemade)and I had it in a bowl. Tonight's dinner was Sauteed Extra Large Shrimp with Fettuccine in a garlic sauce and steamed broccoli in a bowl for me. Eggs and bacon is always in a bowl. Anyone else?
(12-31-2015, 06:25 PM)Jeep Wrote: I like my meals in a bowl.  I request my lunch salad in a bowl at Wild River.  Last night we had Chicken Enchiladas(homemade)and I had it in a bowl.  Tonight's dinner was Sauteed Extra Large Shrimp with Fettuccine in a garlic sauce and steamed broccoli in a bowl for me.  Eggs and bacon is always in a bowl.  Anyone else?

Glad to know it's not only me. I have like 3 plates.  I only like the small one.
(12-31-2015, 06:25 PM)Jeep Wrote: I like my meals in a bowl.  I request my lunch salad in a bowl at Wild River.  Last night we had Chicken Enchiladas(homemade)and I had it in a bowl.  Tonight's dinner was Sauteed Extra Large Shrimp with Fettuccine in a garlic sauce and steamed broccoli in a bowl for me.  Eggs and bacon is always in a bowl.  Anyone else?

We use dinner plates when the food being served needs to be cut by the diner, like steak etc. If there is any chance of chasing food around or food sliding/spilling on to the table we use one of these shallow bowls. And I agree, salads should almost always go in a bowl unless it's a type that need cutting before eating. These are the two bowls used for our main course meals
[Image: 316FK641Q3L.jpg]
[Image: 71uITEoQc3L._SX425_.jpg]

Tonight we ate hot soba noodles with tempura (shrimp, scallop and veggie) so it went in a ramen noodle bowl like this.

[Image: ramen1.jpg] 
I'm starting to take it further.I'm starting to dislike the way china or crockery feel with food. I'm starting to collect ad use wooden serving plates and bowls. I like the way they feel  and food feels in them much better.
(01-01-2016, 12:15 AM)Juniper Wrote: I'm starting to take it further.I'm starting to dislike the way china or crockery feel with food. I'm starting to collect ad use wooden serving plates and bowls. I like the way they feel  and food feels in them much better.

Just be aware food and therefore bacteria can get caught in the microscopic cuts and scrapes in the wood. It's why wood plates and cutting boards aren't allowed to be used in restaurants. 

Enjoy!  Laughing
(01-01-2016, 12:24 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 12:15 AM)Juniper Wrote: I'm starting to take it further.I'm starting to dislike the way china or crockery feel with food. I'm starting to collect ad use wooden serving plates and bowls. I like the way they feel  and food feels in them much better.

Just be aware food and therefore bacteria can get caught in the microscopic cuts and scrapes in the wood. It's why wood plates and cutting boards aren't allowed to be used in restaurants. 

Enjoy!  Laughing

somehow, your: "Enjoy" doesn't seem too sincere! Neutral
(01-01-2016, 01:10 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 12:24 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Enjoy!  Laughing

somehow, your: "Enjoy" doesn't seem too sincere! Neutral

Razz

You're probably fine for personal use, but if you like wood, try bamboo. 
Plates... because the different foods should never touch each other.  Razz