Shooting at Ft. Hood, again
I hear that there are 3 dead plus the shooter. So senseless.
http://www.waff.com/story/25147256/alleg...ill-active
Larry should be checking in with Muslim hate pretty soon.
I've said this before, they shouldn't let soldiers have guns.
(04-02-2014, 06:38 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Larry should be checking in with Muslim hate pretty soon.

Razz.. It's supposed to bet an everyday normal shoot em up that happens all over all the time.
From the interweb..
But military officials told NBC News the shooting appeared to have stemmed from a personal dispute at a motor pool and was unrelated to terrorism.

Wow, He sure had a personal dispute with a lot of people.
(04-02-2014, 07:01 PM)chuck white Wrote: I've said this before, they shouldn't let soldiers have guns.

It wouldn't have mattered. It was in the motor pool. They would still have impact guns.
Good thing there was a "good guy with a gun" there to stop it.

Oh wait. It was stopped by law enforcement.

Nevermind.
I'm not even sure why this is a news story.
(04-03-2014, 07:57 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: I'm not even sure why this is a news story.

I know it happens so often, but they need to fill the air waves with something. This story will die quicker than the Hasan story from 5 years ago. You know why too, huh?
When you read this article, it is even more confusing. Nothing about this man stands out as a motive. Wife and young child, family man, etc. I agree that this story won't last as long as the other Ft. Hood shooting, but not just because of the reason I suspect you mean, cletus1. Hasan lived, so there was a trial. That, in conjunction with the terrorist connection, is why that story still exists to this day. In this case, I fear that we will never get any answers as to motive, and the story will go away for lack of information. In my opinion this one is more important than the other one, for the same reason. We humans always want answers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/fort-ho...als-n70691
(04-03-2014, 08:08 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 07:57 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: I'm not even sure why this is a news story.

I know it happens so often, but they need to fill the air waves with something. This story will die quicker than the Hasan story from 5 years ago. You know why too, huh?

Indeed, where is that airliner?
As a society we seem to have no will to do much of anything but report the deaths.
As such it is just a part of our lives and isn't news in a real sense. That is to say it is below the fold news, like a traffic jam or car wreck. To coin a phrase, nothing to see here move along.
(04-03-2014, 08:28 AM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 08:08 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Indeed, where is that airliner?
As a society we seem to have no will to do much of anything but report the deaths.
As such it is just a part of our lives and isn't news in a real sense. That is to say it is below the fold news, like a traffic jam or car wreck. To coin a phrase, nothing to see here move along.

Quote:As a society we seem to have no will to do much of anything but report the deaths.

That seems to be an awful pessimistic point of view. I think OUR society does a lot more than report deaths. While it may not be enough I think we have a huge interest in why people do things like these mass shootings.
And while I might disagree a lot of our society pins the blame on our access to guns. Others to video games and poverty. Others to our prescription drugged up society.
Our prisons may be full to the brink but there are ways to become educated in those prisons. There are parole boards willing to give convicts a chance.There are people fighting for those who may be imprisoned who aren't guilty. There are also people reopening old cold cases and solving them.

I think that comment also flies in the face of statistics that show crime rates are dropping and the total amount of shootings decreasing.
(04-03-2014, 08:26 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: When you read this article, it is even more confusing. Nothing about this man stands out as a motive. Wife and young child, family man, etc. I agree that this story won't last as long as the other Ft. Hood shooting, but not just because of the reason I suspect you mean, cletus1. Hasan lived, so there was a trial. That, in conjunction with the terrorist connection, is why that story still exists to this day. In this case, I fear that we will never get any answers as to motive, and the story will go away for lack of information. In my opinion this one is more important than the other one, for the same reason. We humans always want answers.

Nothing? At all?
How about PTSD?!?!
Going to war makes many people crazy.
Letting them remain part of the gun culture contributes to shootings like this.
(04-03-2014, 10:17 AM)gapper Wrote: Going to war makes many people crazy.

There are those who say it's the drugs that they take for PTSD and not the disorder itself that contributes to shootings like this.But do we even know if this shooter was in combat?
(04-03-2014, 10:15 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 08:26 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: When you read this article, it is even more confusing. Nothing about this man stands out as a motive. Wife and young child, family man, etc. I agree that this story won't last as long as the other Ft. Hood shooting, but not just because of the reason I suspect you mean, cletus1. Hasan lived, so there was a trial. That, in conjunction with the terrorist connection, is why that story still exists to this day. In this case, I fear that we will never get any answers as to motive, and the story will go away for lack of information. In my opinion this one is more important than the other one, for the same reason. We humans always want answers.

Nothing? At all?
How about PTSD?!?!

Did you read the article I attached?
(04-03-2014, 10:49 AM)tvguy Wrote:

http://austinist.com/2014/04/03/ft_hood_...hp#photo-1

There are those who say it's the drugs that they take for PTSD and not the disorder itself that contributes to shootings like this.But do we even know if this shooter was in combat?

Quote:According to the Waco Tribune, Lopez had "sought help for depression, anxiety and other problems" in the leadup to the shooting, and was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder.
Lopez was stationed in Ft. Hood in February of this year after transferring from another base in Texas. He was being medicated and complained of having suffered "a traumatic brain injury," Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley, a senior Ft. Hood officer told the press. Lopez had served four months in Iraq in 2011, but he did not see combat. Milley told reporters that there is "no indication" that the attack was terrorism-related.

Those of us that make even a marginal effort to actually be informed do.

Quote:Within hours of the Wednesday attack, investigators started looking into whether the man's combat experience had caused lingering psychological trauma. Fort Hood's senior officer, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, said the gunman had sought help for depression, anxiety and other problems.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../404030327

The first sentence from my last link: "The soldier who shot three people to death at Fort Hood apparently did not see combat during a tour in Iraq three years ago "
(04-02-2014, 05:00 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://www.waff.com/story/25147256/alleg...ill-active

From this article that you posted:
"Milley would not confirm the suspect's name, but said he had served four months in combat in Iraq in 2011; "...