Shooting at Ft. Hood, again
(04-03-2014, 11:11 AM)gapper Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 05:00 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://www.waff.com/story/25147256/alleg...ill-active

From this article that you posted:
"Milley would not confirm the suspect's name, but said he had served four months in combat in Iraq in 2011; "...

Yeah, the second article SD posted says the shooter did not see combat, the first said he was in combat. I wonder if "seeing combat" matters. I understand the implication, but any solider in Iraq is subject to meeting a violent end regardless of their job. Consider all the IEDs that are along the roads and snipers and whatever. I think anyone in Iraq could have mental issues relative to serving there.
Quote:While combat can certainly cause PTSD, combat is not the sole cause of PTSD. We need to be creative and think outside the box. Trauma is the cause of PTSD. Combat is one of many forms of trauma that can cause PTSD. Yet, the soaring rate of non-combat military suicides helps demonstrate that PTSD need not be limited to only combat veterans.
http://www.ptsdspirituality.com/2011/03/...-get-ptsd/
(04-03-2014, 08:47 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 08:28 AM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 08:08 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 07:57 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: I'm not even sure why this is a news story.

I know it happens so often, but they need to fill the air waves with something. This story will die quicker than the Hasan story from 5 years ago. You know why too, huh?

Indeed, where is that airliner?
As a society we seem to have no will to do much of anything but report the deaths.
As such it is just a part of our lives and isn't news in a real sense. That is to say it is below the fold news, like a traffic jam or car wreck. To coin a phrase, nothing to see here move along.

Quote:As a society we seem to have no will to do much of anything but report the deaths.

That seems to be an awful pessimistic point of view. I think OUR society does a lot more than report deaths. While it may not be enough I think we have a huge interest in why people do things like these mass shootings.
And while I might disagree a lot of our society pins the blame on our access to guns. Others to video games and poverty. Others to our prescription drugged up society.
Our prisons may be full to the brink but there are ways to become educated in those prisons. There are parole boards willing to give convicts a chance.There are people fighting for those who may be imprisoned who aren't guilty. There are also people reopening old cold cases and solving them.

I think that comment also flies in the face of statistics that show crime rates are dropping and the total amount of shootings decreasing.

There are other metrics to compare. Until then it's just more dead people. As long as it isn't me..?
Crime rates are dropping, mass shootings are not.
(04-03-2014, 12:22 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 11:11 AM)gapper Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 05:00 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://www.waff.com/story/25147256/alleg...ill-active

From this article that you posted:
"Milley would not confirm the suspect's name, but said he had served four months in combat in Iraq in 2011; "...

Yeah, the second article SD posted says the shooter did not see combat, the first said he was in combat. I wonder if "seeing combat" matters. I understand the implication, but any solider in Iraq is subject to meeting a violent end regardless of their job. Consider all the IEDs that are along the roads and snipers and whatever. I think anyone in Iraq could have mental issues relative to serving there.

Yeah, while I was out working today I heard the contradictory news. And at the time, I too thought , "does it really matter?". He was there, during a war, directly involved in said war on some level. We have no idea what he saw. Nor do we have any idea what his mental threshold may have been in the first place.
The point remains, another unstable person with a gun resulting in more fatalities.

TVg, have I told you lately that I love you?
Embarrassed
And he was an ex cop from Puerto Rico. TV might just explode trying to decide whether to defend him or rag on him.
Probably some kind of lover's triangle, gone bad.
(04-02-2014, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 06:38 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Larry should be checking in with Muslim hate pretty soon.

Razz.. It's supposed to bet an everyday normal shoot em up that happens all over all the time.
From the interweb..
But military officials told NBC News the shooting appeared to have stemmed from a personal dispute at a motor pool and was unrelated to terrorism.

Wow, He sure had a personal dispute with a lot of people.

Sorry to hijack your post TV, but it's the only way I see bbq's posts.

Hey bbq, why would I do that, when this one has nothing to do with Allah? Idiot.
You're a day late. Off slaughtering some defenseless animals again?
I think it is important to know if the guy actually has PTSD or not so certain people know who or what to blame. I think he was simply a mental case. Sure someone who was in Iraq might have seen something horrible that affected them even though they were not in combat.
That's possible but it doesn't seem like the case here.

I see people who want to blame PTSD on everything. It's why there are so many homeless vets, or drug users or alcoholics or people who kick their dog.
On the other side I see those who act like PTSD is non existent. I see everythingRazz
Quote:CNN Breaking News
1:20 PM

Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire in the Fort Hood personnel office after being told he could not have a leave form that day, according to the father of one of the soldiers wounded.

Theodis Westbrook, the father of Sgt. Jonathan Westbrook, told CNN affiliate WLBT that Lopez was told to come back the next day to pick up the form. Lopez returned a short time later with a gun and opened fire, Theodis Westbrook said.

Law enforcement sources tell CNN that investigators are continuing to search for possible motives for the shootings on Wednesday.
Motive= [Image: fkn_insane__artwork____dj_bl3nd_by_brain...4qfgu4.png]