Cyber begging
It's the new internet cardboard sign. It's hard to to criticize this woman for what she wants ..but..... It's getting more and more prevalent.

We REALLY need an elliptical machine! (grants pass)

58 year old disabled SUPER athletic Orthopedic surgeon with early onset Alzheimer's needs an elliptical cardio machine to work out in the comfort of his home. Although he is physically healthy, his cognitive decline has recently made it too difficult to work out at the gym. The medical costs have left us without the means to purchase equipment. Please, a donation or low cost cardio machine would literally keep my husband moving!
Well, a person can always ask.
[Image: social-issues-beggar-begging-begs-super_...n3617l.jpg]
Maybe I should start cyber begging. Two+ years of seeing doctor after doctor, living with friends and relatives, and squeaking by on the small amount of regular work I can manage to keep up with, it's not easy...
(04-16-2014, 09:56 PM)csrowan Wrote: Maybe I should start cyber begging. Two+ years of seeing doctor after doctor, living with friends and relatives, and squeaking by on the small amount of regular work I can manage to keep up with, it's not easy...

Everyone could send you one dollar.
I can think of no lower human behavior than begging. Still, a person dying of thirst will beg for water. And so, like all human conditions we have to be aware of the circumstances.
The begging mentioned in this original post is disgusting and shameful.
(04-17-2014, 06:47 PM)Wonky Wrote: I can think of no lower human behavior than begging. Still, a person dying of thirst will beg for water. And so, like all human conditions we have to be aware of the circumstances.

I disagree, 'begging' for somebody else (her husband) is admirable. 'Begging' for an item and not just cash, shows true intent of the need to be filled. 'Begging' online, doesn't make others feel uncomfortable, if they choose not to help.
Wasn't there a GP woman collecting money recently for a son she claimed had cancer and did not? That has to be the lowest.....
(04-17-2014, 07:19 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 06:47 PM)Wonky Wrote: I can think of no lower human behavior than begging. Still, a person dying of thirst will beg for water. And so, like all human conditions we have to be aware of the circumstances.

I disagree, 'begging' for somebody else (her husband) is admirable. 'Begging' for an item and not just cash, shows true intent of the need to be filled. 'Begging' online, doesn't make others feel uncomfortable, if they choose not to help.

Admirable? My wife is about the same age . She worked almost 12 hours today. The man she is begging for was a freaking doctor.
The woman didn't offer to work for the machine.
When a person can't work anymore, doesn't matter that he was a doctor or not. Most people live at their means. A few months of not working will put just about all of us in the poor house.
I'm sure she didn't want somebody to go out and buy a machine and give it to him. I think she was counting on the fact that somebody had such a machine and didn't use it anymore.

If she needed a old computer, I would have gladly have helped her out. (I don't have any exercise equipment)
(04-17-2014, 08:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: When a person can't work anymore, doesn't matter that he was a doctor or not. Most people live at their means. A few months of not working will put just about all of us in the poor house.
I'm sure she didn't want somebody to go out and buy a machine and give it to him. I think she was counting on the fact that somebody had such a machine and didn't use it anymore.

If she needed a old computer, I would have gladly have helped her out. (I don't have any exercise equipment)

Well, I agree. I certainly didn't the impression she was asking for someone to buy a new one for them.
(04-17-2014, 10:26 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 08:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: When a person can't work anymore, doesn't matter that he was a doctor or not. Most people live at their means. A few months of not working will put just about all of us in the poor house.

Well, I agree. I certainly didn't the impression she was asking for someone to buy a new one for them.

Please, a donation or low cost cardio machine would literally keep my husband moving!
I say... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give them money. Don't give them an elliptical machine. Just move on. Rolling Eyes

I see your point Chuck but A few months of not working will put just about all of us in the poor house.

All of us? Surgeons included? I worked as an electrician and no doubt made far less than any doctor. I could live off of my savings/ pension for years.

This man should surely qualify for disability and based on his wages that's probably a good chunk of change.

What kind of cash do you think an orthopedic surgeon pulls down a year? In this case for most of a career. What kind of home do you think they live in and what kind of car do you think they drive?

I understand the idea that someone has a machine they no longer need and they might want to donate it to someone in need. It's just that the post sounded a lot more to me like regular old begging.
(04-18-2014, 08:39 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I say... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give them money. Don't give them an elliptical machine. Just move on. Rolling Eyes

Freaking brilliant.

The OP was just something to discuss. This IS a discussion forum. This isn't about what I personally like or dislike.
It's not even about this particular women as much as it's about more and more people begging on the internet.
(04-18-2014, 08:39 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I see your point Chuck but A few months of not working will put just about all of us in the poor house.

All of us? Surgeons included? I worked as an electrician and no doubt made far less than any doctor. I could live off of my savings/ pension for years.

This man should surely qualify for disability and based on his wages that's probably a good chunk of change.

What kind of cash do you think an orthopedic surgeon pulls down a year? In this case for most of a career. What kind of home do you think they live in and what kind of car do you think they drive?

I understand the idea that someone has a machine they no longer need and they might want to donate it to someone in need. It's just that the post sounded a lot more to me like regular old begging.

Seriously? Who gives a sh*t? I mean... other than you. Blink Do you care at all how this makes you look? Oh. Wait. No, you don't care. Dry You don't know what their situation was/is. Just because he once was an orthopedic surgeon... has nothing to do with what/where he is today. Sheesh.
(04-18-2014, 08:43 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 08:39 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I say... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give them money. Don't give them an elliptical machine. Just move on. Rolling Eyes

Freaking brilliant.

The OP was just something to discuss. This IS a discussion forum. This isn't about what I personally like or dislike.
It's not even about this particular women as much as it's about more and more people begging on the internet.

And my opinion is... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give them money. Don't give them an elliptical machine. Just move on. Rolling Eyes
(04-18-2014, 08:44 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Seriously? Who gives a sh*t? I mean... other than you. Blink Do you care at all how this makes you look? Oh. Wait. No, you don't care. Dry You don't know what their situation was/is. Just because he once was an orthopedic surgeon... has nothing to do with what/where he is today. Sheesh.

Who gives a shit Scrapper? Really? I say I say... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give read the thread . Don't post. Just move on.

Sound familiar?? You post one hell of a lot of stuff than most where people could say" who gives a shit" Sheesh
(04-18-2014, 09:14 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Who gives a shit Scrapper? Really? I say I say... you don't like it? Move on. Don't give read the thread . Don't post. Just move on.

Sound familiar?? You post one hell of a lot of stuff than most where people could say" who gives a shit" Sheesh

The difference? Your sh*t is hateful towards people that have less, or have more, need help, or ask for help, stand up to the police, have a different opinion than you, etc., etc., etc.

You just can't stand that this woman that is married to a guy who was once an orthopedic surgeon is begging for help because gawd dammmmit he was an orthopedic surgeon and they should have a crap load of money!

This proves my point:
Quote:I worked as an electrician and no doubt made far less than any doctor. I could live off of my savings/ pension for years.

You are judging without knowing their situation.

I don't see her post as begging.
(04-18-2014, 11:03 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 09:14 AM)tvguy Wrote:

The difference? Your sh*t is hateful towards people that have less, or have more, need help, or ask for help, stand up to the police, have a different opinion than you, etc., etc., etc.

You just can't stand that this woman that is married to a guy who was once an orthopedic surgeon is begging for help because gawd dammmmit he was an orthopedic surgeon and they should have a crap load of money!

This proves my point:
Quote:I worked as an electrician and no doubt made far less than any doctor. I could live off of my savings/ pension for years.

You are judging without knowing their situation.

I don't see her post as begging.

Well Scrapper, I guess it's all it the eye of the beholder.
In that situation I would exhaust all possibilities that the many agencies provide and if all else fails turn to family, church, Elks Club, Motorcycle group, or whatever other body of folks might led a hand.

To beg for help from strangers seems to me to be beyond the pale.

And by any definition it's begging.
"ask for something, typically food or money, as charity or a gift".