Should a coward be punished?
The sinking South Korean ferry captain who more that likely caused the deaths of approximately 300 people by his negligence. Was one of the first ones to jump in a life boat and save his own ass.

Someone convince me why this guy shouldn't be executed?
(04-21-2014, 12:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: The sinking South Korean ferry captain who more that likely caused the deaths of approximately 300 people by his negligence. Was one of the first ones to jump in a life boat and save his own ass.

Depends on the laws of SK. In Italy the law said the Capt was to be the last one off. That is why they went after the Capt of the Concordia.
(04-21-2014, 12:40 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-21-2014, 12:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: The sinking South Korean ferry captain who more that likely caused the deaths of approximately 300 people by his negligence. Was one of the first ones to jump in a life boat and save his own ass.

Depends on the laws of SK. In Italy the law said the Capt was to be the last one off. That is why they went after the Capt of the Concordia.

I was asking what people think. Not really what will happen to him based on South Korean law.

Anyway the last one off law is an ..... "age-old rule and internationally recognized rule that a captain must stay on the vessel,"

The captain was one of at least 174 people rescued soon after the Sewol began to sink, violating an "age-old rule and internationally recognized rule that a captain must stay on the vessel," maritime law attorney Jack Hickey said.

"Pretty much every law, rule, regulation and standard throughout the world says that yes, the captain must stay with the ship until all personnel are safely off of the ship, certainly passengers."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/18/world/asia...p-sinking/
I don't want to be too harsh…
Hang him by his balls and let him swing in the wind.
(04-21-2014, 01:50 PM)Wonky Wrote: I don't want to be too harsh…
Over the ocean with cinder blocks chained to his ankles, so that when his sorry nuts rip off of his body he can drown just like the students he locked in the cafeteria of the ferry.
(04-21-2014, 02:16 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
Over the ocean with cinder blocks chained to his ankles, so that when his sorry nuts rip off of his body he can drown just like the students he locked in the cafeteria of the ferry.

Ya Know, we are just a bunch of weak-kneed girly boys. I think this guy deserves some real punishment.
(04-21-2014, 06:25 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Ya Know, we are just a bunch of weak-kneed girly boys. I think this guy deserves some real punishment.

Maybe in Korea that's what he'll get. But if he was here in Merica some panty waist milk toast touchy feely jury would figure he was abused as a child( didn't get candles on his cake). Or only got seven hours of sleep that day and deserved a little nap.
And then sentence him to a ONE hour time out and no TV for the whole day.
(04-21-2014, 06:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-21-2014, 06:25 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Maybe in Korea that's what he'll get. But if he was here in Merica some panty waist milk toast touchy feely jury would figure he was abused as a child( didn't get candles on his cake). Or only got seven hours of sleep that day and deserved a little nap.
And then sentence him to a ONE hour time out and no TV for the whole day.

OH NO!
Not ONE WHOLE DAY with no TV.

Point is: The "modern world" seems to have morphed into a culture where people given a high degree a responsibility are not held accountable.
Maybe: I don't claim to have made any study of it, but sure seems that way.
What DID happen to the captain of the Valdez (sp?) that ran aground in Alaska? Is he busting rocks in the heat of the desert? I don't think so.
Quote:Joseph Jeffrey Hazelwood (born September 24, 1946) is an American sailor. He was the captain of Exxon Valdez during its 1989 oil spill. He was accused of being intoxicated which contributed to the disaster, but was cleared of this charge at his 1990 trial after witnesses testified that he was sober around the time of the accident. Hazelwood was convicted of a lesser charge, negligent discharge of oil (a misdemeanor), fined $50,000, and sentenced to 1,000 hours of community service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hazelwood
When my crew was killed, I became the captain of a "Fighting Ship Of The Line". We didn't stay to fight. We went into Cambodia, by mistake. But, running was no mistake.