Time To Revisit The Death Penalty
(05-05-2014, 07:06 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-05-2014, 03:24 PM)Prospero Wrote:
(05-04-2014, 08:41 PM)KateBush Wrote: I said mantle, not alter. :-)

Do you mean mantel, and altar? Anyway, I don't know how you could have a picture of "Cletus," since I have it on good authority that that is the pseudonym of a 97-year-old transgender State-of-Jefferson separatist and charter member of the I.W.H.C. (International Wisdom of Hindsight Collective), which may request you to alter your mantle due to copyright infringement.

We have rules about "outing" members ya know. Wink

That's not fair, Clete.
She (?) didn't say anything about your cross dressing club.
7% of lethal injections are botched.
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/29/5666706/bot...th-penalty
(05-06-2014, 04:02 PM)csrowan Wrote: 7% of lethal injections are botched.

Another way of saying 93% of all executions are done according to protocol. And "Botched" is hardy a technical term is it? Is an execution that is conducted three minutes later than scheduled "botched". What if the curtain is not dropped as scheduled? Botched?

No feeling and caring person wants even the most evil who must be removed from our society "tortured". But, we should remember who we are talking about here. Let's reserve our concern for the starving and abused children of the world.
(05-06-2014, 04:32 PM)Wonky2 Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 04:02 PM)csrowan Wrote: 7% of lethal injections are botched.

Another way of saying 93% of all executions are done according to protocol. And "Botched" is hardy a technical term is it? Is an execution that is conducted three minutes later than scheduled "botched". What if the curtain is not dropped as scheduled? Botched?

No feeling and caring person wants even the most evil who must be removed from our society "tortured". But, we should remember who we are talking about here. Let's reserve our concern for the starving and abused children of the world.

Botched, meaning there was enough of an issue that the condemned suffered is what I read into it. You'd have to buy the book or find a better review to be sure. But lets find our higher selves here: no cruel or unusual punishment. Period. We're better than that.

https://www.amherst.edu/aboutamherst/new...ode/539679
(05-06-2014, 05:22 PM)csrowan Wrote: But lets find our higher selves here: no cruel or unusual punishment. Period. We're better than that.

WE are better, That's why these "botch" things are called accidents.WE should and I have no doubt whatsoever that we will start doing a better job killing people who needs killin.
I would suggest a 22 caliber round to the dome but you can't get the ammo anymore.
Guillotines probably have a better success rate. I've heard oxygen deprivation suggested—give someone enough nitrogen and they die delirious, smiling, happy, still respirating normally. Their lungs get enough gas, their blood just doesn't get enough oxygen.
(05-07-2014, 09:47 AM)csrowan Wrote: Guillotines probably have a better success rate. I've heard oxygen deprivation suggested—give someone enough nitrogen and they die delirious, smiling, happy, still respirating normally. Their lungs get enough gas, their blood just doesn't get enough oxygen.

Or we put them in a room of pure Nitrous Oxide.
(05-07-2014, 08:06 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 09:47 AM)csrowan Wrote: Guillotines probably have a better success rate. I've heard oxygen deprivation suggested—give someone enough nitrogen and they die delirious, smiling, happy, still respirating normally. Their lungs get enough gas, their blood just doesn't get enough oxygen.

Or we put them in a room of pure Nitrous Oxide.

Now we're on the right track: send them on their way with a recreational drug OD. That way, you'll get no complaints (except possibly by the families of the victims).
(05-07-2014, 09:47 AM)csrowan Wrote: Guillotines probably have a better success rate.

I read somewhere that the reason why they hold up the head after a beheading is not to show the witnesses the head, it's show the head it's body. Because heads were observed to have still moving eyes, moving mouths and at times the eyes even tracked movement, it felt to the be the coup de grace to the punishment incurred. So, the head would be swept up quickly and turned towards the decapitated body for this reason, because some believe the head was aware and cognizant for 5 to 10 seconds after separation from the body or something.
Not sure of the science behind it, but I think that's just nerve reflexes. But it was enough to make people believe the brain was functioning. I recall reading about it, and the argument went something like: massive blood pressure loss causes immediate shock and higher brain function shutdown. But I don't think it was an authoritative article.
(05-08-2014, 07:30 PM)csrowan Wrote: Not sure of the science behind it, but I think that's just nerve reflexes. But it was enough to make people believe the brain was functioning. I recall reading about it, and the argument went something like: massive blood pressure loss causes immediate shock and higher brain function shutdown. But I don't think it was an authoritative article.

Sure. But there were some observations made that implied that there could be a few senses operating and very brief cognizance. We are talking 5 to 10 seconds here.

There's absolutely no way to be sure unless a severed head spoke and said something.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science...ation3.htm
(05-08-2014, 07:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 07:30 PM)csrowan Wrote: Not sure of the science behind it, but I think that's just nerve reflexes. But it was enough to make people believe the brain was functioning. I recall reading about it, and the argument went something like: massive blood pressure loss causes immediate shock and higher brain function shutdown. But I don't think it was an authoritative article.

Sure. But there were some observations made that implied that there could be a few senses operating and very brief cognizance. We are talking 5 to 10 seconds here.

There's absolutely no way to be sure unless a severed head spoke and said something.

Would a look of horror be enough?

[Image: 5.jpg]
(05-08-2014, 08:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 07:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Would a look of horror be enough?

Read the link.
Studies on very small mammals and lots of hearsay. Nothing about what massive instantaneous blood pressure loss would do to the cognitive process in combination with complete sensory deprivation of the rest of your body and the massive physical trauma.

I would like to hear what scientists think about it. And why. I'd like to hear those things addressed. But I only hear laypeople and medical professionals discuss it. Not actual researchers.
(05-08-2014, 08:20 PM)csrowan Wrote: Studies on very small mammals and lots of hearsay. Nothing about what massive instantaneous blood pressure loss would do to the cognitive process in combination with complete sensory deprivation of the rest of your body and the massive physical trauma.

I would like to hear what scientists think about it. And why. I'd like to hear those things addressed. But I only hear laypeople and medical professionals discuss it. Not actual researchers.

Well, it's not like I have a point to prove.

There's been some scientific stuff done on rats and mice. As for humans, well...you know.
Honestly, I think t he blood pressure loss would be much higher in a smaller body like a rodent. But I didn't post that comment to say it was true or not true. It was about the sentiment behind the action. You just went with the "is it true or not true" angle. To me, that's not the point of what I posted.
Or you could just not kill people. Even if they kill people.
(05-08-2014, 08:26 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Honestly, I think t he blood pressure loss would be much higher in a smaller body like a rodent. But I didn't post that comment to say it was true or not true. It was about the sentiment behind the action. You just went with the "is it true or not true" angle. To me, that's not the point of what I posted.

It was a conversation. I didn't bother talking about proof until you posted a link with a study and talked about observations with implications of cognizance. Before that I just said I recalled reading something somewhere that I didn't think was authoritative.
(05-08-2014, 08:35 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 08:26 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Honestly, I think t he blood pressure loss would be much higher in a smaller body like a rodent. But I didn't post that comment to say it was true or not true. It was about the sentiment behind the action. You just went with the "is it true or not true" angle. To me, that's not the point of what I posted.

It was a conversation. I didn't bother talking about proof until you posted a link with a study and talked about observations with implications of cognizance. Before that I just said I recalled reading something somewhere that I didn't think was authoritative.

Alrighty!Smiling
Quote:Man on death row for 1998 murders dies of cancer

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime...-of-cancer[/code]