Obama's Dear Friend?
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
March 12, 2013
Remarks by President Obama and His Majesty Sultan of Brunei Darussalam After a Bilateral Meeting | The White House

Oval Office

11:54 A.M. EDT

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, it is a great pleasure to welcome my good friend, His Majesty the Sultan of Brunei. The Sultan and I had the opportunity to get to know each other from a series of multilateral meetings, particularly the ASEAN East Asia Summit meeting. He is a key leader in the Southeast Asia region but also widely respected around the world.

His Majesty himself has led his country for 40 years now and he's gone through nine U.S. Presidents. I won't ask him which one was his favorite -- (laughter) -- but our interest in having a strong, peaceful, prosperous Asia Pacific region is something that we share.

So, overall, I'm very grateful for His Majesty's outstanding leadership and his friendship. I'm glad that he's had a chance to visit. He got here yesterday and flew in his own 747, meaning he actually piloted it himself. I think he's probably the only head of state in the world who flies a 747 himself. And so in case Air Force One pilots have problems, we know who to consult. (Laughter.)

And my understanding is tomorrow he's going to have an opportunity to take his family up to New York, where we're going to encourage him to do some shopping because we want to continue to strengthen the U.S. economy. (Laughter.)

So, Your Majesty, it's wonderful to see you. Thank you so much.

(above redacted from the article)

I'm just wondering if Obama will have any comments about his dear friend's latest actions:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia...index.html

(CNN) -- Brunei has become the first East Asian country to adopt sharia law, despite widespread condemnation from international human rights groups.
Brunei adopts sharia law amid international outcry - CNN.com
The Islamic criminal law is set to include punishments such as flogging, dismemberment and death by stoning for crimes such as rape, adultery and sodomy. The religious laws will operate alongside the existing civil penal code.

During a ceremony Wednesday morning, the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, announced the commencement of the first phase of the sharia-based penal code, according to the government's official website.

The oil-rich kingdom, located on the island of Borneo, has a population of just 412,000 people. The country already follows a more conservative Islamic rule than neighboring Muslim-dominated countries like Indonesia and Malaysia, and has implemented strict religiously-motivated laws, such as the banning of the sale of alcohol.
A family pleads for jailed blogger
London group aims to enforce Sharia law

Stringent laws

In response to the new set of laws, human rights group Amnesty International said that it will "take the country back to the dark ages."

"It (the law) makes a mockery of the country's international human rights commitments and must be revoked immediately," Amnesty's regional deputy director Rupert Abbott said in a statement released after the announcement.

Most parts of the new Islamic code will apply to both Muslims and non-Muslims, affecting people from the Christian and Buddhist communities. Around 70 percent of people in Brunei are Malay Muslims, while the remainder of the population are of Chinese or other ethnic descent.

The Sultan, who is also the Prime Minister, first announced the law in October 2013. As per its provisions, sexual offenses such as rape, adultery and sodomy will be considered punishable acts for Muslims. Consensual sex between homosexuals will also be criminalized, with death by stoning the prescribed punishment.

In announcing the implementation of sharia law, the government website quoted the Sultan as saying that his government "does not expect other people to accept and agree with it, but that it would suffice if they just respect the nation in the same way that it also respects them."
Where does it say "Dear Friend" in the article.

But I'm with you on this Tornado. We shouldn't be any kind of friend to this idiot zealot.
BTW I just described all those preachers we see on TV in OUR country.
(05-06-2014, 09:21 AM)tvguy Wrote: Where does it say "Dear Friend" in the article.

But I'm with you on this Tornado. We shouldn't be any kind of friend to this idiot zealot.

All of my good friends are dear friends
(05-06-2014, 09:21 AM)tvguy Wrote: Where does it say "Dear Friend" in the article.

I missed your description of your preaching.
I'm glad your obsession with our president keeps you out of making real trouble for the rest of us.
(05-06-2014, 10:02 AM)KateBush Wrote: I'm glad your obsession with our president keeps you out of making real trouble for the rest of us.
Yes, you democrats already have enough trouble with your president. Now, if you can, answer me this: Do you think Barry will defend his good friend's Sharia laws?
(05-06-2014, 09:57 AM)tornado Wrote:

I missed your description of your preaching.

"Idiot zealot"
(05-06-2014, 10:20 AM)tornado Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 10:02 AM)KateBush Wrote: I'm glad your obsession with our president keeps you out of making real trouble for the rest of us.
Yes, you democrats already have enough trouble with your president. Now, if you can, answer me this: Do you think Barry will defend his good friend's Sharia laws?

Hello...

Quote:Wacked
Slang term for when you're really high after smoking a considerable amount of weed.
"Dude.. I'm so wacked right now."

Just sayin'!
(05-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Hello...

Slang term for when you're really high after smoking a considerable amount of weed.

Just sayin'!

Are you trying to say you are baked?
(05-06-2014, 11:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Hello...

Just sayin'!

Rolling Eyes Not me. Are you? Follow along, TVg. Dry
(05-06-2014, 11:24 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Hello...

Just sayin'!

ME follow along? Who else other than me actually commented on the OP.
(05-06-2014, 11:41 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 10:20 AM)tornado Wrote: Yes, you democrats already have enough trouble with your president. Now, if you can, answer me this: Do you think Barry will defend his good friend's Sharia laws?

Hello...

Just sayin'!

Meh. The OP doesn't deserve a comment.
(05-06-2014, 11:56 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Hello...

Just sayin'!

But yet you decided Tornado did ? What's the matter Seligman isn't posting?

IMO it is a good question. Why does Obama refer to this backwards religious Zealot who wants to take his country yo the dark ages and torture human beings for being gay? And practice other extreme violent acts like flogging, dismemberment and death by stoning.
This is our "good friend"?

It sounds a lot like our good friends who attacked our country and murdered 3000 innocent people.
(05-06-2014, 11:56 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Hello...

Just sayin'!

When have you commented on anything? You don't have an original thought in your head and just parrot your sidekick Rowan. Oh wait, you did talk about all your drinking in Cabo. I guess we can count that.... sort of.
(05-06-2014, 12:30 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 11:56 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Meh. The OP doesn't deserve a comment.

When have you commented on anything? You don't have an original thought in your head and just parrot your sidekick Rowan. Oh wait, you did talk about all your drinking in Cabo. I guess we can count that.... sort of.

Oh ouch. Rolling Eyes Pffft. I think you're just jealous that you didn't go to Mexico. Razz Hey, guess what... we went to a Cinco de Mayo party last night!!! And... we drank adult beverages!!! Big Grin And... we had a freaking blast with our friends! What did you do? I mean, besides spending countless hours (alone) combing the interwebs for Anti-Obama bullsh*t?!?! Blink
Of all people, I thought Scrapper would be the most upset over the stoning of gays. Evidently not.
(05-06-2014, 03:09 PM)tornado Wrote: Of all people, I thought Scrapper would be the most upset over the stoning of gays. Evidently not.

Blink Blah Blah Blah Rolling Eyes
(05-06-2014, 03:20 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 03:09 PM)tornado Wrote: Of all people, I thought Scrapper would be the most upset over the stoning of gays. Evidently not.

Blink Blah Blah Blah Rolling Eyes

Old age and senility can cause one to mumble and roll their eyes. Sounds as if you need someone to wipe the drool from your chin, too.

I guess stoning of hobosexuals is okay with you after all.
When the leader of one nation introduces/welcomes the leader of another nation, it's usually polite to introduce them as a friend and flatter them. It's called "diplomacy".

Ever heard of it?
(05-06-2014, 03:56 PM)csrowan Wrote: When the leader of one nation introduces/welcomes the leader of another nation, it's usually polite to introduce them as a friend and flatter them. It's called "diplomacy".

Ever heard of it?

Right you are.
Even Senator McCain address Mr. Obama as Mr. President. (At least in public Razz)