Jackson County Fair 2014 Concert Line-Up
Seen on Twitter:
?@MedfordALERT
Quote:This years fair lineup: 1970's Canadian butt-rockers. A washed up 80's country singer. And a modern country singing bumpkin. #disappointing

The Guess Who
Wynonna Judd
Mark Chesnutt
http://www.attheexpo.com/Page.asp?NavID=19

I agree... VERY disappointing! Thumbs Down
They would probably make more money if they put all those performers in a dunk tank.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

Guess Who Live 2013 Northwest Washington Fair

Wynonna - "Why Not Me" Live at the Grand Ole Opry 2012

Mark Chesnutt Goin' Through The Big D at Midnight Rodeo in Katy, TX 9-8-13

You could always move to much more populated area where the better paid entertainers will always be.Smiling
It goes with the territory. The only famous people we get are the ones that are somewhat has beens.
I've seen Willie, BB, Johnny Winter,Eric Burdon,Cheap thrills, The Thunderbirds( with SRV's brother Jimmy!), to name a few. Actually they were all awesomeBig Grin

PS, Eric Burdon is NOW too old to bother to watch or to listen to..
Johnny Cash played the JoCo fair in the 80's
(05-20-2014, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote: Johnny Cash played the JoCo fair in the 80's

Maybe that was before his rise to fame? They still play him singing a song on the radio advertising for Orley stoves. I bet that was made at about the same time.
Cash was here in the 80's. Broke records for attendance. Roy Clark was here in his prime and did very well. He came again in the 90's and it was obvious he had lost it. The Oak Ridge Boys back in the 90's did great. The Beach Boys came and did great--standing room only. Unfortunately those were the good old days of the Josephine County Fair. I shudder to think who will be there this year.

We have such a large senior population, the current crop of screamers and shouters probably wouldn't go over well either.
(05-20-2014, 09:15 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Seen on Twitter:
?@MedfordALERT
Quote:This years fair lineup: 1970's Canadian butt-rockers. A washed up 80's country singer. And a modern country singing bumpkin. #disappointing

The Guess Who
Wynonna Judd
Mark Chesnutt
http://www.attheexpo.com/Page.asp?NavID=19

I agree... VERY disappointing! Thumbs Down

Yeah, I'm not impressed. Though Randy Bachman is supposed to be a great guitarist. But I don't think it includes him.
(05-20-2014, 07:27 PM)minuteman Wrote: Cash was here in the 80's. Broke records for attendance. Roy Clark was here in his prime and did very well. He came again in the 90's and it was obvious he had lost it. The Oak Ridge Boys back in the 90's did great. The Beach Boys came and did great--standing room only. Unfortunately those were the good old days of the Josephine County Fair. I shudder to think who will be there this year.

We have such a large senior population, the current crop of screamers and shouters probably wouldn't go over well either.

My sister was telling me that when she first moved here years ago, she saw the Allman brothers at the fair.
(05-20-2014, 01:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: You could always move to much more populated area where the better paid entertainers will always be.Smiling
It goes with the territory. The only famous people we get are the ones that are somewhat has beens.
I've seen Willie, BB, Johnny Winter,Eric Burdon,Cheap thrills, The Thunderbirds( with SRV's brother Jimmy!), to name a few. Actually they were all awesomeBig Grin

You saw Willie at the fair? I saw him last year, or was it the year before at the Britt.
(05-20-2014, 07:27 PM)minuteman Wrote: Cash was here in the 80's. Broke records for attendance. Roy Clark was here in his prime and did very well. He came again in the 90's and it was obvious he had lost it. The Oak Ridge Boys back in the 90's did great. The Beach Boys came and did great--standing room only. Unfortunately those were the good old days of the Josephine County Fair. I shudder to think who will be there this year.

Is Jo Co even going to have a Fair this year?
(05-20-2014, 07:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Is Jo Co even going to have a Fair this year?

There will be a fair this year. This will be the 100 year celebration!!!!!
(05-20-2014, 07:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 01:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: You could always move to much more populated area where the better paid entertainers will always be.Smiling

You saw Willie at the fair? I saw him last year, or was it the year before at the Britt.

I saw him at the fair/amphitheater. I have to guess it was 6 years ago or so? The crowd had a lot of people with money. And you weren't allowed to go in with a pocket knife or even the stupid multi tool I carry on my belt.
They were actually frisking people. So I had to walk all the way back to my car to put away my little Gerber pocket tool Rolling Eyes
The concert was very good. Funny how a renowned pot smoker never missed a lick or forgot one single lyric.
(05-20-2014, 04:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote: Johnny Cash played the JoCo fair in the 80's

Maybe that was before his rise to fame? They still play him singing a song on the radio advertising for Orley stoves. I bet that was made at about the same time.

I can't tell if you are joking. BEFORE his rise to fame?? LOL. He was well on his downhill side by then. However, his downhill side lasted for many more years than most. As for the Orley radio spot, interior mounted wood stoves were just beginning to take the place of fireplaces in the late 70's and early 80's, and there weren't very many nationwide manufacturers yet. Orley built a very original and sought after wood stove that Johnny had custom ordered for one of his Tennessee homes. When he booked the JOCo concert, he went out of his way to meet Orley and they hatched that radio spot while Johnny was in town.
(05-22-2014, 02:32 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

I can't tell if you are joking. BEFORE his rise to fame?? LOL. He was well on his downhill side by then. However, his downhill side lasted for many more years than most. As for the Orley radio spot, interior mounted wood stoves were just beginning to take the place of fireplaces in the late 70's and early 80's, and there weren't very many nationwide manufacturers yet. Orley built a very original and sought after wood stove that Johnny had custom ordered for one of his Tennessee homes. When he booked the JOCo concert, he went out of his way to meet Orley and they hatched that radio spot while Johnny was in town.

No I wasn't joking, I just tossed out a thought and threw in a question mark to indicate I wasn't sure.
Rory Orbison's career was rejuvenated later in his life when he came up with "pretty Woman"? With BB king it was the same with "The thrill is gone". I was just speculating something similar happened with Cash.
IMO he crossed the line from country to being a lot more mainstream at some point. That's all I was thinking.Smiling
Pretty woman was 1964. Your theory is all wrong. Now you could say the traveling wilburys rejuvenated his career.
(05-22-2014, 04:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

No I wasn't joking, I just tossed out a thought and threw in a question mark to indicate I wasn't sure.
Rory Orbison's career was rejuvenated later in his life when he came up with "pretty Woman"? With BB king it was the same with "The thrill is gone". I was just speculating something similar happened with Cash.
IMO he crossed the line from country to being a lot more mainstream at some point. That's all I was thinking.Smiling

I'm not sure what you mean by pretty woman. That's an old song. Cash was cool in a non country way even when he was country. Pretty much after the folsum prison concert and becoming "the man in black." His TV show was very cool. Cooler than the networks may have liked. Then later he got even cooler. I'm not sure if I'd call that the downhill side of his career though. I think the 70's and 80's were good years for a lot of those folks.
BB King popularized The Thrill is Gone in a cover in the early 70's that probably made him more mainstream than he had previously.
BB King got a little rejuvenation in the late '80s with the help of U2s "Rattle and Hum". They covered "When Love Comes to Town" and BBKing recorded that song with U2.
(05-22-2014, 08:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 04:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='GPnative' pid='340206' dateline='1400621784']

Quote:I'm not sure what you mean by pretty woman. That's an old song.

Yes but he re recorded the song late in his career. It was also a Movie and also I believe a more rock & roll version by Van Halen was popular.
Also the cult classic movie "Blue Velvet" which introduced Orbison to a new generation with another old song "in Dreams".

Blue Velvet was awesomeSmiling

Quote:BB King popularized The Thrill is Gone in a cover in the early 70's that probably made him more mainstream than he had previously..

Yes , for sure.
(05-26-2014, 05:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-22-2014, 08:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 04:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='GPnative' pid='340206' dateline='1400621784']

Quote:I'm not sure what you mean by pretty woman. That's an old song.

Yes but he re recorded the song late in his career. It was also a Movie and also I believe a more rock & roll version by Van Halen was popular.
Also the cult classic movie "Blue Velvet" which introduced Orbison to a new generation with another old song "in Dreams".

Blue Velvet was awesomeSmiling

If you say so.....Unsure The guy started his career in the late 50's and Pretty woman came out in the early 60's.