Dog Lynx
I just wanted to share my latest web site creation for those interested. I have developed a FREE dog tag service. You can register your dog(s) on the site, give some information about them, and then they are stored in our secure database.

The next step is up to you, you can then make a dog tag at any one of the kiosks around the valley or order one online, and put the website with your profile name on it below the website. We will also be offering custom tags at a later date if the site takes off.

If heaven forbid you should lose your beloved family friend and it is found by a Good Samaritan, animal authority (dog catcher), or anyone else, they will see the tag and go to the site and put in your profile name. After the site finds the profile, they can contact you safely and securely through the site. They will not see your contact info unless you provide it to them when you reply back. This is done for your personal safety and protection.

The site is called Dog Lynx and can be found at doglynx.com

I created a profile so you can see how it looks. Just search for my name (Keith).

For those curious about the security of the site, you do not need to provide any information such as your address or phone number. The person who contacts you will not see your email address, only the information you put in. They will see your dog picture you put there which helps make a positive match if your dog is found. There is also no index of members so this helps prevent drive by spammers/scammers trying to get a hold of you.
Why not just chip your dog?
Lost dogs can be scanned and the owner notified.

The cost is nothing compared to the overall cost of owning a dog.
For those that can not afford to chip their dog, this is an alternative. I know that shelters have the readers to cross reference the animal to the national database.

My thought when building this is - let's say you are driving down the road, and see a dog walking alone limping or perhaps looking ill. You decide to check it out to make sure it is fine and look at it's tags for owner information. In the batch of rabies and dog registration tags, you have a link to the web site with the profile name. Looking up the profile, you see the dog has special needs med wise and this is why it is limping (arthritis and needs anti-inflamatories). On the site, you also have the ability to contact the owner, and/or the vet listed by the owner for immediate instruction.

Just chipping a dog alone is not worth it if the vet or shelter does not have the resources and as far as I know, the chipping system does not give special needs information for an animal (meds, conditions etc).
I dont think its a good idea to try and cross a dog with a lynx. One of them is going to be hurt very badly.
(06-06-2014, 02:35 PM)Smithcat Wrote: I dont think its a good idea to try and cross a dog with a lynx. One of them is going to be hurt very badly.

Big Grin to Smithcat

BTW, I think this is a great idea Keith. I wish you well....
I've heard of a lizigator. Lizard on one end and alligator on the other! Mean ass critter, I'm told, cause it doesn't have a butt and can't poop.

That'd make me mean too!!! Blink Razz
(06-06-2014, 10:49 AM)medfordite Wrote: I just wanted to share my latest web site creation for those interested. I have developed a FREE dog tag service. You can register your dog(s) on the site, give some information about them, and then they are stored in our secure database.

The next step is up to you, you can then make a dog tag at any one of the kiosks around the valley or order one online, and put the website with your profile name on it below the website. We will also be offering custom tags at a later date if the site takes off.

If heaven forbid you should lose your beloved family friend and it is found by a Good Samaritan, animal authority (dog catcher), or anyone else, they will see the tag and go to the site and put in your profile name. After the site finds the profile, they can contact you safely and securely through the site. They will not see your contact info unless you provide it to them when you reply back. This is done for your personal safety and protection.

I created a profile so you can see how it looks. Just search for my name (Keith).

For those curious about the security of the site, you do not need to provide any information such as your address or phone number. The person who contacts you will not see your email address, only the information you put in. They will see your dog picture you put there which helps make a positive match if your dog is found. There is also no index of members so this helps prevent drive by spammers/scammers trying to get a hold of you.

So In order for your site to do me any good I need to have a collar on my lost dog with this tag that takes someone who finds the dog to your site.

So why don't I just have my telephone number on a tag on my dogs collar?
You can certainly put your phone number on the tag, that would work as well, but let's put into consideration the special medical issue that I talked about. You can take the time to call the phone number on the tag, but the owner is not answering their phone for any reason. It could include being on vacation/roaming, they do not answer calls from people they do not know, their phone battery has died or whatever reason. So, you then have to track down the owner a different way in spite of your calls and probably 10-15 texts saying you have their dog.

This is where having the ability to use the site, enter in the profile and getting information on the dog is important. You may ask, "So, if I send texts and make calls and they do not answer, how would they ever answer an email I send them?" Okay, that is a valid point they probably will not, BUT, they would see it came from the site and know it is important because it is an alert at that point. With the site, the vet's information is also there as long as the owner entered it in. The same would apply if the dog is afraid of men, women, not good with kids, other dogs, and so forth. Knowing this information is vital to the protection of not only you and your family, but the dog. Not being able to contact the owner will not tell you this.

Of course if you found a happy and healthy dog which is the picture of perfect health, that decided to dig under the fence and roam the neighborhood, is friendly to kids, pets, people, and is extremely loveable, you would want to probably return it to the heartbroken owner. As a good citizen of Jackson County, you look at the tags, and see the rabies, license tag, dog's name on a tag with owner address or phone number (or both), and the site on it. You choose to call the owner, and they get back to you or answer the phone. GREAT!!! You now have arranged a way to return the dog to it's happy owner.

The bottom line is - this is a complimentary type of service for people to use if they want. Smiling
(06-06-2014, 01:00 PM)medfordite Wrote: For those that can not afford to chip their dog, this is an alternative. I know that shelters have the readers to cross reference the animal to the national database.

My thought when building this is - let's say you are driving down the road, and see a dog walking alone limping or perhaps looking ill. You decide to check it out to make sure it is fine and look at it's tags for owner information. In the batch of rabies and dog registration tags, you have a link to the web site with the profile name. Looking up the profile, you see the dog has special needs med wise and this is why it is limping (arthritis and needs anti-inflamatories). On the site, you also have the ability to contact the owner, and/or the vet listed by the owner for immediate instruction.

Just chipping a dog alone is not worth it if the vet or shelter does not have the resources and as far as I know, the chipping system does not give special needs information for an animal (meds, conditions etc).

Chipping is cheap, about $30. When you consider how much you spend on a dog for shots and food, you have an investment you want protected. All vets can scan for a chip along with animal shelters. If someone takes your dog, a collar tag, won't do shit but a chip will flag him if he shows up at a vet.
(06-06-2014, 05:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-06-2014, 10:49 AM)medfordite Wrote: I just wanted to share my latest web site creation for those interested. I have developed a FREE dog tag service. You can register your dog(s) on the site, give some information about them, and then they are stored in our secure database.

So In order for your site to do me any good I need to have a collar on my lost dog with this tag that takes someone who finds the dog to your site.

God I wish Ponder would start posting again and keep you busy. Then you wouldn't have to spill your sourpuss attitude on everyone else.
(06-07-2014, 05:50 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-06-2014, 05:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:

God I wish Ponder would start posting again and keep you busy. Then you wouldn't have to spill your sourpuss attitude on everyone else.
Dry drunk? I stated my feelings what's it to YOU? BTW go f**k yourself Wonky.
Quote: 'medfordite' pid='341049' dateline='1402112065']
You can certainly put your phone number on the tag, that would work as well, but let's put into consideration the special medical issue that I talked about. You can take the time to call the phone number on the tag, but the owner is not answering their phone for any reason. It could include being on vacation/roaming, they do not answer calls from people they do not know, their phone battery has died or whatever reason. So, you then have to track down the owner a different way in spite of your calls and probably 10-15 texts saying you have their dog.

How many people have dogs a special medical issue that will likely run away?
If you don't think a telephone number is a good enough what about an email address?.
BTW your notion that someone who lost a dog won't accept calls from strangers, Is on vacation or their phone battery is dead seems like silly REACHING on your part to legitimize your idea.

Sorry if YOU think I'm a sourpuss but I assume you put this idea out to get peoples opinions. My opinion is that your idea won't interest too many people.
Good luck with it anyway.Smiling
(06-07-2014, 11:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:

If you don't think a telephone number is a good enough what about an email address?.
BTW your notion that someone who lost a dog won't accept calls from strangers, Is on vacation or their phone battery is dead seems like silly REACHING on your part to legitimize your idea.

Sorry if YOU think I'm a sourpuss but I assume you put this idea out to get peoples opinions. My opinion is that your idea won't interest too many people.

Cletus called you a sourpuss not Medfordite.
(06-07-2014, 12:34 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 11:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Cletus called you a sourpuss not Medfordite.

Yeah I know that VS. I was letting him know where I was coming from IN CASE his thinking was similar to Cetus.I said "IF" "YOU" think I'm a sourpuss.

If I thought it was good idea that a lot of people would embrace I would have said so.