$10,000 an acre?????
Last summer ODF presided over the waste of a billion dollars fighting 100,000 acres of fires that threatened absolutely nothing of real value. I can buy level, irrigated pasture, for less money an acre. Should Kitzhaber be impeached for this? Or for the theft of health care dollars? Or, for the biggest drug deal in history? He and his merry pranksters declared a drug war on us pot smokers. And lost. And now, the losers are writing a bill to support sending storm troopers into our communities. Paid for by taxes on marijuana. Kitzhaber is as much of a Dem as my own mother. And, just as much in the pocket of The Ford Family.
(06-08-2014, 05:02 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Last summer ODF presided over the waste of a billion dollars fighting 100,000 acres of fires that threatened absolutely nothing of real value. I can buy level, irrigated pasture, for less money an acre. Should Kitzhaber be impeached for this? Or for the theft of health care dollars? Or, for the biggest drug deal in history? He and his merry pranksters declared a drug war on us pot smokers. And lost. And now, the losers are writing a bill to support sending storm troopers into our communities. Paid for by taxes on marijuana. Kitzhaber is as much of a Dem as my own mother. And, just as much in the pocket of The Ford Family.

Still with the conspiracy crap ehLaughing Welcome back.

Last year was the most severe season in more than half a century.

More than 80 fires started on lands protected by
ODF and the Douglas Forest Protective Association.
Most were stopped while still small. But five became
major incidents, all involving rough terrain and areas of
heavy fuels, and some threatening homes.
When more lightning struck Eastern Oregon in following
days, even with many staff away in Southwestern Oregon,
crews caught hundreds of small fires. However, two fires
grew large, initially threatening John Day and The Dalles.

Timber losses
are roughly estimated at triple suppression
costs, about $370 million.

ODF’s estimated suppression cost
Gross large
-
fire cost: $122 million
Net cost: $75 million (reflects estimated federal
reimbursements and other adjustments).

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/AGENCY_AFFAIRS...n_2013.pdf
The ODF has changed the numbers. The Courier gave them to us correctly. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS AN ACRE.
When the only fire in the state was close to where I pick huckleberries, I watched the smoke rise for days. And I drove past an army at The Prospect Ranger Station. An employee of the Forest Service commented on the difference between themselves and ODF. "We fight fires. They manage them". Last summers fires were finally ended by rain, and nothing else. Much to the dismay of The ODF.
That's what they should do. Let them burn themselves out as long as they don't threaten communities. Heavily forested lands are biological deserts. We need the fires to create open pastures for the deer, elk other animals. It's part of the natural process. The Native Americans understood that and they even started fires just for that reason, to improve the habitat for species that they hunted.
We dump fortunes on thinning. The hunters (Poachers?) have nightmares that wolves will be allowed to compete. But the elk and deer are grazers. The ODF knows we are starving them out. God knows where he wants to send his thinning projects. Paying Grayback to thin, is money thrown to the wind, (An ill wind). No one but God knows where he will be working this summer. Were we to end entirely, The ODF, The BLM, and The National Forest Service, our forests would begin their long journey back. The bars would suffer. Our governor might be one of the physicians in that E.R. in Roseburg, where I had to babysit them, long ago. That's where they discovered him. In the second lowest position in all of medicine (Thanks to the The Roseburg VA). He's groomed more than a show Pomeranian. He's the shill of the timber industry. His failed health plan was just money thrown to the connected. To the nonprofit octopus of The Ford Family. They're hope is that when, we are free to stagger the streets with our growlers in hand, we might begin to think a swastika is better than Old Glory. Their plan is to tax our pot for their storm troopers. These are the children of Hitler. I'm surprised that I see no one who looks like their soul is a little tried?
(06-10-2014, 04:31 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: That's what they should do. Let them burn themselves out as long as they don't threaten communities. Heavily forested lands are biological deserts. We need the fires to create open pastures for the deer, elk other animals. It's part of the natural process. The Native Americans understood that and they even started fires just for that reason, to improve the habitat for species that they hunted.

Or maybe they just were pyro's.

True be told , you don't count the cost against the number of acres that burned, but by the number that didn't.
(06-10-2014, 04:31 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: That's what they should do. Let them burn themselves out as long as they don't threaten communities. Heavily forested lands are biological deserts. We need the fires to create open pastures for the deer, elk other animals. It's part of the natural process. The Native Americans understood that and they even started fires just for that reason, to improve the habitat for species that they hunted.

The forests we had in the past where nothing like we have now. Back then there were huge trees that fires simply burned around. The think bark on those old guys was like fireproofingSmiling
Now our forests are made up of pecker poles that burn like kindling. Basically fires in old forests are beneficial. But in the logged over forests we have now sometimes everything burns to the ground. Not beneficial. The fires we have now and the result is not a natural process.

Quote: Heavily forested lands are biological deserts.

Where on earth did you get that idea?
Besides, until they put the fire out, the air was hazardous to breath.