My Visit to PonderThis Country
(06-15-2014, 05:42 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-15-2014, 05:24 PM)Jeep Wrote: Ponder, did you have to fumigate the straw before stuccoing the house? I was thinking that maybe rodents or bugs could move into the straw bales and weaken the structure.

No, that's one of the reasons straw is used for houses, and not, for example, hay. Hay has all the seed heads and the nutrition in it (and, thus, provides a handy ever present meal for rodents and insects), while straw is only the stiff stalks and stems that are left after the seed grain has been removed and taken away (and, represents no food enticement for critters). The other reason straw is used, rather than hay, is straw is more structural. I also opted for the most structural straw of all, which is rice straw, which I imported a truckload of from California special for this project. People that worked with the bales said they were the tightest bales and the toughest, most structural bales they had ever seen used on a straw house.

Most people build a framework of 2x4's on top of the foundation, that they stack the straw bales on, and that provides a handy space that can be covered with floor moulding and can run wiring in. While I can see the handiness of that, I opted not to do that because that continuous perimeter 4" high space looked like perfect harborage for rodents too, and after having lived in my travel trailer during construction which was infested with mice I was determined to never set myself up for that again.

I also used sandbags full of pumice for my foundation, I'm not sure how structural that is since the real weight of this house is carried by the log posts (setting on concrete) rather than the straw wall. Use of the pumice filled sandbags did give me a good insulated barrier all around the perimeter though to keep cold out in winter, and there's 15" of loose fill pumice under the mud floor for insulation similarly, too. Pumice has an "R" value of .6 per inch, for those I haven't bored with these facts previously.

I didn't realize that insualtion also has R value. I had to learn about that when we installed our wood stove.
How long have you been building your home?
You know, that's a good question, that I'm not really sure of. Smiling I think it first occurred to me to build this way about 2007 (when I was living at another property farther out I also own), but it took a while for me to run the road back to this new spot, run utilities, put in the new septic, etc., so the lines become blurred as to when exactly house construction began. I was also paying off bills from my partner dying at the time, so it was built out of petty cash more than anything, and certainly not with bank loans and deadlines. That's how I can get away with still not being totally done, too - there's nobody breathing down my back on this.
I have not been on in a couple days, so this is news for me this morning....welcome back Ponder.
(06-16-2014, 12:32 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You know, that's a good question, that I'm not really sure of. Smiling I think it first occurred to me to build this way about 2007 (when I was living at another property farther out I also own), but it took a while for me to run the road back to this new spot, run utilities, put in the new septic, etc., so the lines become blurred as to when exactly house construction began. I was also paying off bills from my partner dying at the time, so it was built out of petty cash more than anything, and certainly not with bank loans and deadlines. That's how I can get away with still not being totally done, too - there's nobody breathing down my back on this.

I was going to ask if you were "off grid", but you do have utilities.

You should be proud. It looks like a wonderful place to live!!
Thank you. I do hope to cut the electric cord before long, and I've got my electric use already minimized (with efficient appliances, instant on propane water heater, etc.) to the point no electric bill is over $25, of which $15 seems to be basic charges unrelated to consumption.
(06-16-2014, 07:58 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Thank you. I do hope to cut the electric cord before long, and I've got my electric use already minimized (with efficient appliances, instant on propane water heater, etc.) to the point no electric bill is over $25, of which $15 seems to be basic charges unrelated to consumption.

A lifetime ago....I lived without electricity (or generator). We had a propane water heater and an OLD Servel Propane fridge. I had a small black and white TV that ran off of a Sears Die Hard that we used to switch out every few days with the one charging in my old Dodge Power Wagon. Awwww......those were the days. Laughing

Now, I kinda like electricity. But, I wish we had gas for cooking.
I'm not planning on living without electricity, I'm planning on living without grid electricity. I've lived without grid electricity before, and it's not half bad with other sources. Not as easy, and not as cheap, but more satisfying somehow.
(06-16-2014, 08:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm not planning on living without electricity, I'm planning on living without grid electricity. I've lived without grid electricity before, and it's not half bad with other sources. Not as easy, and not as cheap, but more satisfying somehow.

Will you have a hand pump type of alternative for your well? We need to figure out a way to get water if we lose electricity for any prolonged length of time (not reliant on gasoline). When I lived without, we had a doughboy pool on the hillside above the kitchen/shower/garden area. We hauled water to fill it and it gravity fed down to our hose bibs etc. LOL Not the most practical or conventional set-up, but it worked.
OK, I've actually got two different properties I'm working on, one of which is truly off-grid, and in its case the well will be powered by a 5500 watt inverter from a battery bank charged with solar panels (indeed, I'm building the solar / battery building over the well, so it also will house the water pressure tank & associated controls, too). That property I keep going as sort of a social experiment, and I've been bringing in additional members who are working on this as condition for staying there. So far the foundation is dug, and they are starting on the earthbag foundation.

My own house (where the existing straw house is) is more problematic for water, as I'm getting water from the well on the house next door (which I also own). The neighbors pay the electricity to run that well, so in order to make my place water self sufficient I've got to make the neighbors house off-grid as well, and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go that far yet. Smiling That well also has a 2 h.p. pump, which would really suck down the juice for an off grid location, while my truly off-grid house has only a 1/2 h.p. pump.

There is a creek right out front, if things ever got truly desperate for water.
Ponder... All of this fun (and interesting!) talk about your place makes me think of Clone/Eva... She absolutely LOVED it out there. Smiling
Yes, she did. Her son came and worked on the wiring, too.
(06-16-2014, 09:09 AM)PonderThis Wrote: OK, I've actually got two different properties I'm working on, one of which is truly off-grid, and in its case the well will be powered by a 5500 watt inverter from a battery bank charged with solar panels (indeed, I'm building the solar / battery building over the well, so it also will house the water pressure tank & associated controls, too). That property I keep going as sort of a social experiment, and I've been bringing in additional members who are working on this as condition for staying there. So far the foundation is dug, and they are starting on the earthbag foundation.

My own house (where the existing straw house is) is more problematic for water, as I'm getting water from the well on the house next door (which I also own). The neighbors pay the electricity to run that well, so in order to make my place water self sufficient I've got to make the neighbors house off-grid as well, and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go that far yet. Smiling That well also has a 2 h.p. pump, which would really suck down the juice for an off grid location, while my truly off-grid house has only a 1/2 h.p. pump.

There is a creek right out front, if things ever got truly desperate for water.

Wow. You've got some mega projects going on!!
My only real concern is a back-up water plan, in case we ever lose "the grid". Generators are great as long as you have access to gas. Sounds like you've got it covered!
(06-16-2014, 06:44 AM)GPnative Wrote: I have not been on in a couple days, so this is news for me this morning....welcome back Ponder.

Thank you. I guess I didn't realize I was so beloved. OK, missed. Smiling
(06-16-2014, 09:23 AM)kadylady Wrote: Wow. You've got some mega projects going on!!

I find it very empowering to realize we can build things with just basic things we already have around here, like straw bales, mud, and pumice. As I've seen society basically collapse, I think it's good to get back to basic things like this. And there might be some keys to real societal change happening here.

I feel similarly about energy, that's why I find the subject so intriguing. I don't feel much hope for government to help us any more, or even work in our best interests, so I think we're going to have to be doing more of these things for ourselves. My hope is to engineer government out of our lives to the highest degree possible, frankly.

I suppose this is why I come by my "eccentric" label honestly, too. Smiling
(06-16-2014, 09:35 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I find it very empowering to realize we can build things with just basic things we already have around here, like straw bales, mud, and pumice.

Confusing.

No pumice "around here" and this;
Quote:I also opted for the most structural straw of all, which is rice straw, which I imported a truckload of from California special for this project.

It all sounds so self sufficient and "empowering" though!
Cool
(06-16-2014, 09:45 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 09:35 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I find it very empowering to realize we can build things with just basic things we already have around here, like straw bales, mud, and pumice.

Confusing.
No pumice "around here" and this,
Quote:I also opted for the most structural straw of all, which is rice straw, which I imported a truckload of from California special for this project.

It all sounds so self sufficient and empowering though!
Wink

Welcome back. The place was starting lack double speak.
Cool

The worlds biggest pumice mine is in Chemult, Oregon, which is less than 200 miles from me. I can get 60 yards delivered for about $1,500. That's practically as cheap as 3/4 minus rock, sourced locally, yet it's lightweight and insulative.

Rice is grown this side of Sacramento, about 300 miles away. OK, I could have used wheat straw, sourced locally. It wouldn't be as good though.

The mud came from my back yard. I suppose you don't like that either.
(06-16-2014, 09:49 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 09:45 AM)gapper Wrote:

Confusing.
No pumice "around here" and this,

It all sounds so self sufficient and empowering though!
Wink

Welcome back. The place was starting lack double speak.
Cool

The worlds biggest pumice mine is in Chemult, Oregon, which is less than 200 miles from me. I can get 60 yards delivered for about $1,500. That's practically as cheap as 3/4 minus rock, sourced locally, yet it's lightweight and insulative.

Rice is grown this side of Sacramento, about 300 miles away. OK, I could have used wheat straw, sourced locally. It wouldn't be as good though.

The mud came from my back yard. I suppose you don't like that either.

No worries. It's just confusing when in my mind Chemult and Sacramento are not "around here".
I left the mud out on purpose.

Some things never change.
Wink
I consider within 300 miles to be close by. You are arguing semantics. You are right, some things never change.
(06-16-2014, 10:03 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I consider within 300 miles to be close by. You are arguing semantics. You are right, some things never change.

No, I'm arguing common sense. You didn't say "close by", you said "around here".
Yup, some things never change.
It all sounds SO hip, though.
Cool
I'm sorry you don't feel you're getting the attention you deserve.