Poll: What moderation style should the site have?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep the rules as they are. Try again to find additional moderators.
31.03%
9 31.03%
Remove most moderation. Some things remain off-limits due to legal/usability concerns.
51.72%
15 51.72%
Scrap the whole thing. Let people argue on Facebook, Twitter, craigslist.
6.90%
2 6.90%
Do something else altogether (please reply with suggestions).
10.34%
3 10.34%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Moderation options
OK Kam, looks like we have three mods all lined up. GPnative, Jeep & Someones Dad. Laughing
Who's dad?
(06-23-2014, 08:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Who's dad?

(06-23-2014, 08:19 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 07:58 PM)csrowan Wrote: Reasonably? He acts like a martyr even before anyone says anything to him.

A little overly dramatic tonight? Razz

"Martyr: a person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs."

I think he has proved himself reasonable just by sticking around under a heap of ridicule.

"2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice."
(06-23-2014, 08:21 PM)Valuesize Wrote: OK Kam, looks like we have three mods all lined up. GPnative, Jeep & Someones Dad. Laughing

Hold your horses, Partner. It sure sounds like good old Chuck wants it bad. Real Bad. He may even give up conspiracy theories and chickens for this mighty fine job. Chuck, How about it?
(06-23-2014, 01:56 PM)csrowan Wrote: I think that the rules themselves aren't that bad. The problem is that enforcement is so lax that they may as well not exist for all intents and purposes.

And then, when it's patently obvious that someone is continuing in the exact same behavior that got them banned multiple times before, I don't see how merely a slightly longer ban is appropriate.

If the rules have teeth, they won't need to be enforced very often. In my experience, at least. Not once people learn that, anyway.

And moderation should be visible. We should see it when it happens. If posts get deleted, there should be something left behind to let us know that posts were deleted and why. Or the speficially offending remarks get taken out and a note left in the post saying it has been moderated for content with a warning.

I can also see that going badly, when people complain about the moderation, though... but I still think it's better than everyone fighting and people leaving because they can't stand the hate and trolls.

I know, some other people like the concept of a free-for-all. Personally, I like the idea of being able to hold conversations on all sorts of topics with a bunch of different people with a bunch of different feelings on the subject who can all discuss things without it turning into a brawl.

In my opinion, this would require a moderator or moderators to review all posts made each day. Not just to review the reported posts. But the forum is already broken into sections. If you find a couple of moderators, they may be able to quickly review the posts daily. It might not be an immediate response, but it would be reasonable to expect most posts to be seen by one of them within a day or two. That's better than what we have now. And reports could be addressed more quickly.

And two moderators would mean that they could discuss problem posters with each other and then contact you with information and a proposal once they came to an agreement.

I agree with this.
(06-23-2014, 08:19 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 07:58 PM)csrowan Wrote: Reasonably? He acts like a martyr even before anyone says anything to him.

A little overly dramatic tonight? Razz

"Martyr: a person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs."

I think he has proved himself reasonable just by sticking around under a heap of ridicule.

but rowan disagrees with his views
I also disagreed with GCG's views. But I enjoyed talking with him.
(06-23-2014, 05:15 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 05:03 PM)Hugo Wrote: Does anyone seriously think that cletus, or scrapper for that matter, will allow someone like Someones Dad to moderate??? LOL
"will allow"? How's that happen? Perhaps Cletus has leverage with the owner of RVF... but I do not.

And just for the record... I have never felt the need to report Someones Dad. You, on the other hand? I definitely can not say the same.
I find it interesting that we have 22 votes. It certainly doesn't seem like we have that many people here most of the time.

I wonder what the votes would be like if the people who have already up and left in frustration were to come back to participate in the poll?
I winder who voted to scrap the whole thing? Kam??
I just don't see the purpose of a "discussion" forum that's filled with hatred, trolls, yelling matches, name-calling, and general animosity. If you want that, go to Facebook.
(06-24-2014, 02:56 PM)Hugo Wrote: I winder who voted to scrap the whole thing? Kam??

Probably the Debbie Downers, the ones always predicting the fall of this Forum. I remember one guy who was always getting pissed off and taking his ball home. Poor Sport.Rolling Eyes
I'm not around enough to be worthy of a vote. Regardless, I did vote. I'm sure my opinion on this means nothing, but I will add my two cents nonetheless. I would like to see the rules stay as well as proper moderation. There are less than a handful of posters that ruin it for everyone. If there was true moderation those posters would learn quite quick to follow the rules or leave. What I have noticed in my time as a lurker and a member is that rules are not enforced. When the rules are not enforced this is what happens. The few ruin the entire forum.
(06-24-2014, 03:47 PM)Cohort Wrote: I'm not around enough to be worthy of a vote. Regardless, I did vote. I'm sure my opinion on this means nothing, but I will add my two cents nonetheless. I would like to see the rules stay as well as proper moderation. There are less than a handful of posters that ruin it for everyone. If there was true moderation those posters would learn quite quick to follow the rules or leave. What I have noticed in my time as a lurker and a member is that rules are not enforced. When the rules are not enforced this is what happens. The few ruin the entire forum.

I'm sure Kam will be happy to receive an email from you regarding you volunteering. Thanks for stepping up! Big Grin
Argue on Facebook? Who the hell does that? Most people just post dumb memes.
(06-24-2014, 04:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-24-2014, 03:47 PM)Cohort Wrote: I'm not around enough to be worthy of a vote. Regardless, I did vote. I'm sure my opinion on this means nothing, but I will add my two cents nonetheless. I would like to see the rules stay as well as proper moderation. There are less than a handful of posters that ruin it for everyone. If there was true moderation those posters would learn quite quick to follow the rules or leave. What I have noticed in my time as a lurker and a member is that rules are not enforced. When the rules are not enforced this is what happens. The few ruin the entire forum.

I'm sure Kam will be happy to receive an email from you regarding you volunteering. Thanks for stepping up! Big Grin

Are we looking for volunteers?
(06-25-2014, 10:02 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

This is the first choice in the poll. I read it as we should/could be.

"Keep the rules as they are. Try again to find additional moderators."
(06-25-2014, 10:15 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

This is the first choice in the poll. I read it as we should/could be.

"Keep the rules as they are. Try again to find additional moderators."

Hmmm. I didn't see the word volunteer. Didn't read it that way.

No.