world cup
World Cup. This is the first time I've really seen a LOT of press about the World Cup. It seems the US is catching up to the rest of the world on this sport? There are advertisements, news stories and nearly every comedy stand up show has a thing on the world cup. Despite that fact that it seems to be increasing in popularity, each (entertainment) show I've seen has only done a piece on how boring soccer is or how mundane and silly it is. It's kind of funny, or strange to me. Like a phobia or something. Maybe it's grown so much because the US team (S) has been really doing well in the last years or because football celebs have given it a wider scope. Culturally it's interesting to me. The most popular sport internationally, and the US has seemed to dig in it's heels to not embrace it, but that seems to be changing.
(06-27-2014, 09:47 AM)Tiamat Wrote: World Cup. This is the first time I've really seen a LOT of press about the World Cup. It seems the US is catching up to the rest of the world on this sport? There are advertisements, news stories and nearly every comedy stand up show has a thing on the world cup. Despite that fact that it seems to be increasing in popularity, each (entertainment) show I've seen has only done a piece on how boring soccer is or how mundane and silly it is. It's kind of funny, or strange to me. Like a phobia or something. Maybe it's grown so much because the US team (S) has been really doing well in the last years or because football celebs have given it a wider scope. Culturally it's interesting to me. The most popular sport internationally, and the US has seemed to dig in it's heels to not embrace it, but that seems to be changing.

I hate any sport fans chant USA, USA.

I actually don't follow any sports. But I'm aware of soccer in a sense. I've been to pro games and known people who are involved in it or follow it. So I have a sense of it.

You don't like chants? How about Manchesters "you'll never walk alone?"
Soccer is the perfect sport for liberals. Individual achievement is not a big factor. Girls can play with boys. It's the only sport where can be no winner and after every game everyone gets a ribbon and a juice box.

[Image: soccer1.jpg]
It's probably catching on because youth soccer participation has been increasing the past few decades, while baseball(and football) has been declining. The MLS doesn't seem to be any more popular though, so maybe it's a patriotism thing(like the Olympics)
(06-27-2014, 03:58 PM)Asquared44 Wrote: It's probably catching on because youth soccer participation has been increasing the past few decades, while baseball(and football) has been declining. The MLS doesn't seem to be any more popular though, so maybe it's a patriotism thing(like the Olympics)

Youth Soccer has been huge for decades. I actually thought World Cup enthusiasm would have been more apparent 20 years ago when all the soccer league kiddos had grown up. I think that soccer leagues have something to do with it, but not all. I think some of it is more "global village" stuff. Everything around the world is closer, more accessible, less isolated. Plus increasing nationality numbers.
First ever water break.

The World Cup match featuring the USA and Portugal tonight in muggy Manaus, Brazil, got so heated that officials called for a water break -- the first in the tournament's history.

It's 84 degrees with 70 percent humidity in Manaus, a city smack in the middle of the Amazon rainforest. There was also an 80 percent chance of rain, according to ESPN, although it never did during the game.

The water break took place in the 40th minute and lasted about a minute when the U.S. was losing 1-0. The game ended 2-2.

FIFA had said prior to the start of the tournament that it would allow water breaks if it got too hot.

Players from both teams had soaked through their shirts just minutes into the match, but U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann was curiously wearing long sleeves. He changed into a blue polo-style shirt for the start of the second half.

The Associated Press reported that the breaks go into effect when temperatures reach 32 degrees Celsius (or 89.6 Fahrenheit) in the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature index, which takes into account the time of day, cloud cover, wind, humidity and location.

“Absolutely no breeze,” ESPN play-by-play announcer Ian Darke said at the start of the second half. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/2014-fifa-w...d=24255761
(06-27-2014, 04:24 PM)Tiamat Wrote: First ever water break.

The World Cup match featuring the USA and Portugal tonight in muggy Manaus, Brazil, got so heated that officials called for a water break -- the first in the tournament's history.

It's 84 degrees with 70 percent humidity in Manaus, a city smack in the middle of the Amazon rainforest. There was also an 80 percent chance of rain, according to ESPN, although it never did during the game.

The water break took place in the 40th minute and lasted about a minute when the U.S. was losing 1-0. The game ended 2-2.

FIFA had said prior to the start of the tournament that it would allow water breaks if it got too hot.

Players from both teams had soaked through their shirts just minutes into the match, but U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann was curiously wearing long sleeves. He changed into a blue polo-style shirt for the start of the second half.

The Associated Press reported that the breaks go into effect when temperatures reach 32 degrees Celsius (or 89.6 Fahrenheit) in the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature index, which takes into account the time of day, cloud cover, wind, humidity and location.

“Absolutely no breeze,” ESPN play-by-play announcer Ian Darke said at the start of the second half. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/2014-fifa-w...d=24255761

Was it water or a juice box?

Poor babies. What a bunch of sissies. Try putting real football and putting on helmet and pads and playing in 100 degree heat.

[Image: soccer.jpg]