Ebola Ebola outbreak news
(09-30-2014, 05:17 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 04:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 02:44 PM)GPnative Wrote: CDC confirmed a case of Ebola has hit Dallas.

And they will isolate it and hopefully cure the person. If not, one person dies. Sad, that.

But sometime Google the number of people who die each day on our highways. Or of heart decease, cancer, diabetes, ugliness (like TVg Razz) or embarrassment (like me when I try to get cute. )

The Ebola thing is sad, for sure. And scary. But from things I read we don't need to fear a spread of it here in the US (or Europe). We need to be SO thankful we live in a place on this blue planet where we have good living conditions.

PS: Trivia. Heard the other day why Ebola is capitalized and cancer is not. Ebola, the decease, was named after a river in Africa near where the first know case was known to have been discovered.

Now isn't that special, as the Church Lady might say.

I take it cancer was NOT discovered near the Tropic of Cancer then?

Actually it was. But, the Center for Disease Control... hereafter known as the (CDC) made a mistake. They do that sometimes. Lots of times of the lunch orders.
(09-30-2014, 02:44 PM)GPnative Wrote: CDC confirmed a case of Ebola has hit Dallas.

And they will isolate it and hopefully cure the person. If not, one person dies. Sad, that.

But sometime Google the number of people who die each day on our highways. Or of heart decease, cancer, diabetes, ugliness (like TVg Razz) or embarrassment (like me when I try to get cute. )

The Ebola thing is sad, for sure. And scary. But from things I read we don't need to fear a spread of it here in the US (or Europe). We need to be SO thankful we live in a place on this blue planet where we have good living conditions.

PS: Trivia. Heard the other day why Ebola is capitalized and cancer is not. Ebola, the decease, was named after a river in Africa near where the first know case was known to have been discovered.

I am not overly concerned about it, but it is newsworthy. More to it than just isolating the person infected, they need to to track down and monitor people he came in contact with since arriving in the US.

What's crazy to me is that the CDC et al, will allow open travel from a place like Liberia to Dallas during an outbreak, it would seem to me that a quarantine process should be in place for anyone traveling into the country from a location with a known outbreak. If the people who enter the country don't like well tough shit, then stay in Liberia.
(10-01-2014, 07:12 AM)GPnative Wrote:

I am not overly concerned about it, but it is newsworthy. More to it than just isolating the person infected, they need to to track down and monitor people he came in contact with since arriving in the US.

What's crazy to me is that the CDC et al, will allow open travel from a place like Liberia to Dallas during an outbreak, it would seem to me that a quarantine process should be in place for anyone traveling into the country from a location with a known outbreak. If the people who enter the country don't like well tough shit, then stay in Liberia.

This excerpt from a Fox News article makes Obama look short sighted. This time however, Obama's statement has been proven to indeed be short sighted.

I heard that the 3,000 military personnel being sent to Liberia would be doing airport screenings. I assume they would be done at Liberia's airport to keep infected people from boarding planes to the US. This infected traveller certainly demonstrates the need for that now.

Here is the excerpt from the Fox News article:

The president said the possibility of an outbreak in the United States is “extremely low.” However, he said officials are taking extra precautions including advanced airport screenings and preparing hospital personnel “in the unlikely event” the virus reaches this country.
(10-01-2014, 08:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

This excerpt from a Fox News article makes Obama look short sighted. This time however, Obama's statement has been proven to indeed be short sighted.

I heard that the 3,000 military personnel being sent to Liberia would be doing airport screenings. I assume they would be done at Liberia's airport to keep infected people from boarding planes to the US. This infected traveller certainly demonstrates the need for that now.

The president said the possibility of an outbreak in the United States is “extremely low.” However, he said officials are taking extra precautions including advanced airport screenings and preparing hospital personnel “in the unlikely event” the virus reaches this country.

I guess with current developments I am not at all optimistic in regards to airport screenings, The person in Dallas supposedly did not show any signs of the disease until after he arrived here asymptomatic, so what good are airport screenings if an asymptomatic infected person easily hops a plane to the US?

If the CDC is serious about control then it is time to start talking about limiting air travel between countries with a known outbreak.

Well, Clete, when he made that statement he (and we) already knew that 2 Doctors Without Borders had contacted the virus and were back in the US for treatment. (Both are alive and recovering by the way).
So he knew that the "virus had reached this country".

I suspect he meant it in the more broad term, that the virus would become epidemic and spread in this country.

Nit-picking? Maybe. The stuff I read suggest we don't need to fear an "outbreak" of Ebola in the U.S.
(10-01-2014, 08:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well, Clete, when he made that statement he (and we) already knew that 2 Doctors Without Borders had contacted the virus and were back in the US for treatment. (Both are alive and recovering by the way).

I suspect he meant it in the more broad term, that the virus would become epidemic and spread in this country.

Nit-picking? Maybe. The stuff I read suggest we don't need to fear an "outbreak" of Ebola in the U.S.
I agree with both of you. A disease that can be asymptomatic and undetectable at any point after infection requires a more intense effort at quarantining people possibly infected.

Yeah Wonk, I also think Obama was referring to an epidemic. I am throwing out stuff to talk about and hoping to bring in some people that are not posting here very much. So the next time I set a trap would you please not step in it. jk Big Grin
(10-01-2014, 09:26 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 08:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 04:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: And they will isolate it and hopefully cure the person. If not, one person dies. Sad, that.

I agree with both of you. A disease that can be asymptomatic and undetectable at any point after infection requires a more intense effort at quarantining people possibly infected.

Yeah Wonk, I also think Obama was referring to an epidemic. I am throwing out stuff to talk about and hoping to bring in some people that are not posting here very much. So the next time I set a trap would you please not step in it. jk Big Grin

I've stepped in every trap you have set so far, so doubt things will change.
I'm not very bright, but happy as a puppy!
This kind of incompetence sure doesn't help matters.

Quote:The Associated Press ?@AP
BREAKING: Sister of US Ebola patient: He told hospital he was from Liberia on 1st visit, was sent home.
(10-01-2014, 10:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: This kind of incompetence sure doesn't help matters.

BREAKING: Sister of US Ebola patient: He told hospital he was from Liberia on 1st visit, was sent home.

That's a fact
(10-01-2014, 12:20 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 10:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: This kind of incompetence sure doesn't help matters.

That's a fact

Well, it was in Texas. They have their own way of doin' things. Just ask 'em.

One sick traveler does not make an "outbreak". What they do about the sick traveler could though.
(10-01-2014, 12:35 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

One sick traveler does not make an "outbreak". What they do about the sick traveler could though.

Spot on! Hope they keep him from leaving to go out for a Big Mac.

And old age is much more deadly than Ebola. Some of us know it more keenly than others.
Here is Oregon's "Isolation and Quarantine Bench Book" that explains procedures of quarantine and your rights and lack thereof. I didn't read all of it, but it seems quite well thought out.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/Diseases...chbook.pdf
Quote:The Liberian authorities say they will prosecute the man diagnosed with Ebola in the US, accusing him of lying over his contact with an infected relative.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29467489

Quote:A leading charity has warned that a rate of five new Ebola cases an hour in Sierra Leone means healthcare demands are far outstripping supply.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29453755
What if: the 3,000 troops sent to fight ebola in Africa, return to the USA, yet not exhibiting any symptoms....
People that have died from Ebola are also still contagious. Authorities in Liberia are trying to keep relatives from kissing and touching the body at funerals.

How the hell do you bury someone without touching the body? I'm thinking an extended reach backhoe and lots of Lysol.
(10-02-2014, 02:27 PM)tornado Wrote: What if: the 3,000 troops sent to fight ebola in Africa, return to the USA, yet not exhibiting any symptoms....
Quarantine them all.
I'm planning ahead, I think one of these should do the trick.

[Image: IMG_2106_full.jpeg]
(10-03-2014, 08:21 AM)GPnative Wrote: I'm planning ahead, I think one of these should do the trick.

[Image: IMG_2106_full.jpeg]

I already have one. I wear it every time I go to meetings at City Hall. Wink
(10-01-2014, 08:36 AM)GPnative Wrote:

I guess with current developments I am not at all optimistic in regards to airport screenings, The person in Dallas supposedly did not show any signs of the disease until after he arrived here asymptomatic, so what good are airport screenings if an asymptomatic infected person easily hops a plane to the US?

If the CDC is serious about control then it is time to start talking about limiting air travel between countries with a known outbreak.

Limit? They should flat shut it down. Any country with a large incidence of Ebola should be quarantined (sealed off completely).