Robin Williams . . .
Robin Williams was found dead today of an apparent suicide. How sad.
RIP
Sixty-three years old. Succumbed to a lifetime battle with depression. Very sad indeed.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
National population control hot line .....

1- 800 go forit
OK maybe a bad jokeSad? Was there anyone who didn't already know Williams was close to the edge?
If I remember correctly Jonathon Winters was a role model for Robin. He had mental issues also.
IMO There is something about comedians that makes them take the comedian route. I don't meant to imply all comedians have mental issues. Just that I bet more do than other chosen occupations.
I think trying to be funny is often learned early as a way to fit in, escape or make light of certain things.
Too bad he's gone. Robin Williams was one of the funniest men ever in my book. My heart goes out to his family.
(08-11-2014, 06:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: National population control hot line .....

1- 800 go forit

Mr. Sensitive you are.

Wait a day, will ya. Sad
(08-11-2014, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK maybe a bad jokeSad? Was there anyone who didn't already know Williams was close to the edge?
If I remember correctly Jonathon Winters was a role model for Robin. He had mental issues also.
IMO There is something about comedians that makes them take the comedian route. I don't meant to imply all comedians have mental issues. Just that I bet more do than other chosen occupations.
I think trying to be funny is often learned early as a way to fit in, escape or make light of certain things.
Too bad he's gone. Robin Williams was one of the funniest men ever in my book. My heart goes out to his family.

A back track post.

You should have just deleted the bad joke instead.
(08-11-2014, 06:09 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK maybe a bad jokeSad? Was there anyone who didn't already know Williams was close to the edge?

A back track post.

I didn't back track anything Larry. I just made one post that was a joke and another about what happened and maybe why.

It's not like Robins mom or kids will EVER see what I said. I don't know the guy and no one else here does either.
Plus I never claimed to be Mr. sensitive. The joke was more of a jab at Scrapper anyway who apparently thought someone here needed to know a suicide hotline number because a celebrity offed themselves.
(08-11-2014, 06:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

A back track post.

I didn't back track anything Larry. I just made one post that was a joke and another about what happened and maybe why.

It's not like Robins mom or kids will EVER see what I said. I don't know the guy and no one else here does either.
Plus I never claimed to be Mr. sensitive. The joke was more of a jab at Scrapper anyway who apparently thought someone here needed to know a suicide hotline number because a celebrity offed themselves.

You never know when someone may be in need of the Suicide Hotline.

I happen to agree with Larry... you should have just deleted the VERY bad joke rather than try to back track and explain it away.
That is sad news. He absolutely, without a doubt, gave me more laughs than anyone else on the planet. R.I.P.

He battled substance abuse for a very long time. I think he came here to Oregon (Newberg?) for treatment a few years back.... All in all, he had a great life. Cool
(08-11-2014, 06:32 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

A back track post.

You never know when someone may be in need of the Suicide Hotline.

I happen to agree with Larry... you should have just deleted the VERY bad joke rather than try to back track and explain it away.

Back track my ass. I made a joke. Then I noted it was not for everyone and I went on to explain the same feelings I had with or with out the joke.
Good grief people it wasn't your mom or dad.

Quote:You never know when someone may be in need of the Suicide Hotline.

Yeah OKEEDOKEYBig Grin
(08-11-2014, 06:34 PM)Valuesize Wrote: That is sad news. He absolutely, without a doubt, gave me more laughs than anyone else on the planet. R.I.P.

He battled substance abuse for a very long time. I think he came here to Oregon (Newberg?) for treatment a few years back.... All in all, he had a great life. Cool

I had him at number one funniest guy ever also. Until I saw Jim KareySmiling
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/20...8.facebook

Quote:Robin Williams, Bipolar Sufferer, Dead at 63 Due to Suicide
By JOHN M. GROHOL, PSY.D.

Robin Williams, Bipolar Sufferer, Dead at 63 Due to Suicide

When a person chooses suicide, it’s hard to accept that choice.

Comedian and award-winning actor Robin Williams apparently made that choice earlier this morning. Robin Williams has long been a sufferer of bipolar disorder, a mental illness where the person fluctuates between episodes of extreme energy, focus and productivity (mania) and severe depression. Apparently, he was in one of the episodes of depression when he took his own life.

We mourn his loss.

The coroner said that Williams’ death was “a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made.”

According to news accounts:

“Robin Williams passed away this morning,” said Mara Buxbaum, president of [Williams'] PR firm. “He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

His wife, Susan Schneider, issued a brief statement: “This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken,” she said.

Suicide is an insidious choice due to the lies that depression tells us. When a person is suffering from severe depression, as apparently Williams was, it can tell that person, “Hey, you’d be better off dead. Life isn’t going to get any better.”

And sadly, sometimes people listen. Even brilliant, accomplished individuals such as Robin Williams.

Williams is best known as a comedian who made his name first in stand-up, then in TV on the hit show Mork & Mindy, and later with movies such as Mrs. Doubtfire, Dead Poets Society, Awakenings, and Good Will Hunting, where he won an Oscar for his role as a therapist.

Bipolar disorder is a mental disorder that is most-commonly treated through a combination of psychotherapy and medications. People who limit their treatment or stop taking medications may be at higher risk for the symptoms associated with bipolar disorder, such as mania or depression. Most people with bipolar disorder need lifelong treatment for the concern, as there is no cure for it.

Some people with bipolar disorder feel that the medications commonly prescribed for the disorder make them feel like they’re “living in a fog,” or that all their emotions lack any sort of depth. For these kinds of reasons, some people choose not to keep taking medications to treat the disorder.

Suicide is a common symptom of severe, clinical depression. When properly treated, the feelings of suicide often remit as the depression lifts. But even under treatment, sometimes people choose to take their own life.

While we may never understand why someone who enjoyed so much family and success as Robin Williams did might take their own life, we can appreciate the body of work he left behind. He lit up many people’s lives with his humor, infectious energy, and poignant roles.

Robin Williams will be missed.
What was he living for? Having been sick for 8 months, I can readily see the appeal for ending the pain. Folks are upset at losing the joy he brought them, but what anguish was he wallowing in, unable to extract himself from the muck, the mire enveloping him.
(08-11-2014, 06:47 PM)bbqboy Wrote: What was he living for? Having been sick for 8 months, I can readily see the appeal for ending the pain. Folks are upset at losing the joy he brought them, but what anguish wasTobin wallowing in, unable to extract himself from the muck, the mire enveloping him.

What was he living for? His loved ones I would hope.

I'm not unlike you BBQ. My life could end a lot sooner than I ever expected. My concern is not about ME but about those who I would leave behind.
The man was mentally ill. I don't know the limits of his suffering. I can't argue with anyone ending their pain.
(08-11-2014, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:34 PM)Valuesize Wrote: That is sad news. He absolutely, without a doubt, gave me more laughs than anyone else on the planet. R.I.P.

I had him at number one funniest guy ever also. Until I saw Jim KareySmiling

Jim Carrey is Bipolar, also.

Crying

Jim Carrey also battles depression.
(08-11-2014, 06:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:47 PM)bbqboy Wrote: What was he living for? Having been sick for 8 months, I can readily see the appeal for ending the pain. Folks are upset at losing the joy he brought them, but what anguish wasTobin wallowing in, unable to extract himself from the muck, the mire enveloping him.

What was he living for? His loved ones I would hope.

I'm not unlike you BBQ. My life could end a lot sooner than I ever expected. My concern is not about ME but about those who I would leave behind.
The man was mentally ill. I don't know the limits of his suffering. I can't argue with anyone ending their pain.

It is, as you say, a mental illness. But when you are that ill, you don't always see yourself "living for your loved ones." One of the things about depression is that you aren't really rational in the way the non depressed are.

A back track post.

Why? Robin probably would have laughed. He would have got it. Bad taste or no.