US rethinks giving excess military gear to police
To me this is a lot of Horseshit. Because a bunch of idiots in Ferguson are rioting and looting now it follows that somehow this is because of the tactical protective gear the police are using?
Excuse me but I'm all for our police having the best protective gear thy can get and I don't care how it "LOOKS".

These people have a dangerous job. They put their lives on the line for YOU. And have every right to the best possible protection they can get and if it looks like Darth Vador on Steroids I don't care. Get over it and stop the whining.

By TAMI ABDOLLAH and ERIC TUCKER
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- After a decade of sending military equipment to civilian police departments across the country, federal officials are reconsidering the idea in light of the violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

The public has absorbed images of heavily armed police, snipers trained on protesters and tear gas plumes. Against that backdrop, Attorney General Eric Holder said that when police and citizens need to restore calm, "I am deeply concerned that the deployment of military equipment and vehicles sends a conflicting message."

To WHOM??? People already violating the law?

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said police responses like that in Ferguson have "become the problem instead of the solution." Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., said he will introduce legislation to curb the trend of police militarization.

Right like blacks using the Brown case for an excuse to steal aren't the problem? Like people ignoring the simple rules we must follow to protest are not the problem?

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said his committee will review the program to determine if the Defense Department's surplus equipment is being used as intended.

One night after the violence that accompanied the presence of military-style equipment in Ferguson, tensions eased when a police captain, unprotected and shaking hands, walked through a crowd in a gesture of reconciliation. The contrast added to the perception that the tanks and tear gas had done more harm than good.

As the country concludes its longest wartime period, the military has turned over thousands of surplus weapons and armored trucks to local police who often trained alongside the military.

A report by the American Civil Liberties Union in June said police agencies had become "excessively militarized," with officers using training and equipment designed for the battlefield on city streets. The report found the amount of goods transferred through the military surplus program rose in value from $1 million in 1990 to nearly $450 million in 2013.

"Every police force of any size in this country has access to those kinds of weapons now," said David Harris, a police expert at the University of Pittsburgh law school. "It makes it more likely to be used (and) is an escalation all by itself."

In Louisiana, masked police in full body armor carrying AR-15 assault rifles raided a nightclub without a warrant, looking not for terrorists but underage drinkers and fire-code violations. Officers in California train using the same counterinsurgency tactics as those used in Afghanistan.

"They're not coming in like we're innocent until proven guilty," said Quinn Eaker. SWAT teams last August raided his organic farm and community, the Garden of Eden, in Arlington, Texas. "They're coming in like: `We're gonna kill you if you move a finger.'"

Police found no drugs or weapons and filed no charges after their search, which authorities said followed standard procedure.

In 1990, Congress authorized the Pentagon to give surplus equipment to police to help fight drugs, which then gave way to the fight against terrorism. Though violent crime nationwide is at its lowest level in generations and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have largely concluded, the military transfers have increased.

Police say the equipment, which includes free body armor, night vision goggles and scopes, keeps officers safe and prepares them for the worst case.

"A lot evolved from the military, no question," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Chief Bill McSweeney, who heads the detective division. "Is it smart for them to use that stuff and perhaps look like soldiers from Iraq going into a place? Is that smart or over the top? I'd say generally that's smart. Now, if you use that every time a guy is writing bad checks, that's getting rather extreme."

The U.S. has provided 610 mine-resistant armored trucks, known as MRAPs, across the country, nearly all since August 2013, including at least nine in Los Angeles County, according to Michelle McCaskill, a spokeswoman for the Defense Logistics Agency.

In rural western Maine, the Oxford County Sheriff's Office asked for an MRAP. Cpl. George Cayer wrote in his request that Maine's western foothills face a "previously unimaginable threat from terrorist activities."

In Orange County, Florida, masked officers in tactical gear helped state inspectors raid barber shops in 2010 to find people cutting hair without a license. Using a mini battering ram and pry bar at times, police arrested dozens of people. Officials said they found illegal items such as drugs and a weapon.

McSweeney said it's hard to argue that police shouldn't use the best equipment available.

"It's tempting to say, `Shouldn't we wear these things? Shouldn't we approach this as if we could get shot?'" he said. "How do you say no to that question?"

Nick Gragnani, executive director of the St. Louis Area Regional Response System, said such supplies have proved essential in hurricane relief efforts and other disaster responses.

"The shame of it will be ... if somebody does a brushstroke and takes out all the funding and then we can no longer be prepared for that big incident," he said.

The LAPD's deputy chief, Michael Downing, who heads the department's counterterrorism and special operations bureau, said officers are dealing with "an adversary who is more sophisticated, more tactically trained."

Downing emphasized that though police might train with soldiers, they're not warriors with a mission to kill but public servants with no "enemies."

"In police work there are times we have to become soldiers and control through force and fear," Downing said. "But we have to come back to being a public servant as quick as we can to establish that normality and that ethical stature with communities, because they're the ones who give us the authority to do our police work."

---
If they don't know what to do with it, how to behave, or if they don't understand that using it will actually escalate most situations, then they shouldn't have it. They especially shouldn't bring it into a town of 21,000 people and start brandishing weapons and firing tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protesters and into residential neighborhoods.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5678407

Actual Military Veterans Say Cops In Ferguson Are Excessively Armed, Untrained Wannabes
Nick Wing The Huffington Post 08/14/14 12:46 PM ET

At Business Insider, Paul Szoldra, a former U.S. Marine, broke down some of the equipment he's seen law enforcement officials equipped with: short-barreled 5.56-mm rifles with high-powered scopes, six extra magazines, loaded with 30 rounds each, heavy body armor, military camouflage, and all of this riding around in armored trucks resembling mine-resistant vehicles used on the battlefield. Many combat veterans have since pointed out that the SWAT officers are more heavily armed and outfitted than they themselves were while patrolling the streets of Iraq or Afghanistan. The town of Ferguson, Missouri, has been flooded with heavily armed SWAT officers in the wake of the Aug. 9 killing of unarmed teen Michael Brown by a police officer. According to some reports, upwards of 70 officers decked out not just in riot gear, but in equipment suited for foreign battlefields, took to the streets Wednesday night in an attempt to disperse the largely peaceful demonstrations organized to protest Brown's death. If the nation needed a poster child for the militarization of its police forces, it just got one.

But while this police force may appear to be militarized, these same veterans have noted that the officers are not acting the way members of the military would. Pointing weapons at civilians, arresting people without reason and behaving generally like an occupying force on high alert are not effective tactics for crowd control or dispersing riots, the veterans say. Kelsey D. Atherton, a journalist for Popular Science, gathered a number of tweets on Storify for a project called "Veterans on Ferguson." His tagline says everything you need to know about how veterans view the mess the police force has made of this situation.

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Veterans on Ferguson

The general consensus here: if this is militarization, it's the shittiest, least-trained, least professional military in the world, using weapons far beyond what they need, or what the military would use when doing crowd control.

Selected tweets:

James Skylar Gerrond @JimmySky
In the USAF, we did crowd control and riot training every year. Lesson 1: Your mere presence has the potential to escalate the situation.

Jason Fritz @JasonFritz1
As someone who studies policing in conflict, what's going on Ferguson isn't just immoral and probably unconstitutional, it's ineffective.

jeffclement @jeffclement
A few people have pointed it out, but our ROE regarding who we could point weapons at in Afghanistan was more restrictive than cops in MO.

Alex Horton @AlexHortonTX
We've decided, as a society, that local police forces need greater armor capabilities than an invasion force in 2003.

Josh Prentice @Cardozorolled
@AdamWeinstein Also, we contained riots in Baghdad next to mosques with less violence than the police are employing.

@PaulSzoldra LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device), the last place I saw one of those was at the Iraqi detention facility.

Broken Handmic @13F2PL7
I leveled my weapon twice overseas. Leveled. Not fired. I had legit threats and went through proper EOF. Stop fucking up, Ferguson PD.

Nathan B. Bethea @inthesedeserts
It wouldn't matter if it was with the most altruistic of intentions. People see armed men in riot gear / death-stronaut gear and they react.

@RaiderFan42 @PatrickOsgood well, the first thing they told us when we got to Afghanistan was 'wearing your gear makes you look hostile'

Test For Echo @Techno_Scribe
4 years in the Army, including 2 spent staring down N. Korea and I never had as much sweet gear as the cops in Ferguson, Mo. pop. 21,000
(08-17-2014, 02:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: If they don't know what to do with it, how to behave, or if they don't understand that using it will actually escalate most situations, then they shouldn't have it. They especially shouldn't bring it into a town of 21,000 people and start brandishing weapons and firing tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protesters and into residential neighborhoods.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5678407

Actual Military Veterans Say Cops In Ferguson Are Excessively Armed, Untrained Wannabes
Nick Wing The Huffington Post 08/14/14 12:46 PM ET

At Business Insider, Paul Szoldra, a former U.S. Marine, broke down some of the equipment he's seen law enforcement officials equipped with: short-barreled 5.56-mm rifles with high-powered scopes, six extra magazines, loaded with 30 rounds each, heavy body armor, military camouflage, and all of this riding around in armored trucks resembling mine-resistant vehicles used on the battlefield. Many combat veterans have since pointed out that the SWAT officers are more heavily armed and outfitted than they themselves were while patrolling the streets of Iraq or Afghanistan. The town of Ferguson, Missouri, has been flooded with heavily armed SWAT officers in the wake of the Aug. 9 killing of unarmed teen Michael Brown by a police officer. According to some reports, upwards of 70 officers decked out not just in riot gear, but in equipment suited for foreign battlefields, took to the streets Wednesday night in an attempt to disperse the largely peaceful demonstrations organized to protest Brown's death. If the nation needed a poster child for the militarization of its police forces, it just got one.

But while this police force may appear to be militarized, these same veterans have noted that the officers are not acting the way members of the military would. Pointing weapons at civilians, arresting people without reason and behaving generally like an occupying force on high alert are not effective tactics for crowd control or dispersing riots, the veterans say. Kelsey D. Atherton, a journalist for Popular Science, gathered a number of tweets on Storify for a project called "Veterans on Ferguson." His tagline says everything you need to know about how veterans view the mess the police force has made of this situation.

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Veterans on Ferguson

The general consensus here: if this is militarization, it's the shittiest, least-trained, least professional military in the world, using weapons far beyond what they need, or what the military would use when doing crowd control.

Selected tweets:

In the USAF, we did crowd control and riot training every year. Lesson 1: Your mere presence has the potential to escalate the situation.

Jason Fritz @JasonFritz1
As someone who studies policing in conflict, what's going on Ferguson isn't just immoral and probably unconstitutional, it's ineffective.

jeffclement @jeffclement
A few people have pointed it out, but our ROE regarding who we could point weapons at in Afghanistan was more restrictive than cops in MO.

Alex Horton @AlexHortonTX
We've decided, as a society, that local police forces need greater armor capabilities than an invasion force in 2003.

Josh Prentice @Cardozorolled
@AdamWeinstein Also, we contained riots in Baghdad next to mosques with less violence than the police are employing.

@PaulSzoldra LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device), the last place I saw one of those was at the Iraqi detention facility.

Broken Handmic @13F2PL7
I leveled my weapon twice overseas. Leveled. Not fired. I had legit threats and went through proper EOF. Stop fucking up, Ferguson PD.

It wouldn't matter if it was with the most altruistic of intentions. People see armed men in riot gear / death-stronaut gear and they react.

@RaiderFan42 @PatrickOsgood well, the first thing they told us when we got to Afghanistan was 'wearing your gear makes you look hostile'

Test For Echo @Techno_Scribe
4 years in the Army, including 2 spent staring down N. Korea and I never had as much sweet gear as the cops in Ferguson, Mo. pop. 21,000

The article you quoted is very heavily slanted towards the idea that the police are the problem and not the so called peaceful demonstrators.

If the Fergusson police are really breaking up peaceful lawful demonstrations then who ordered then to do so?
Why are their not lawsuits up the ying yang for the Ferusson county city or whatever???

You are quoting what a couple of alleged veterans said who OF COURSE AGREE with this whole absurd nothing that the police are the problem. Sorry that's not convincing.

According to one genius your felt the need to quote.......People see armed men in riot gear / death-stronaut gear and they react.

REACT?? How so? By throwing malatov cocktails?? My reaction would be to head the other way. But then I'm not some asshole blame the man wanna be Occupy revolutionary just looking for an excuse to go postal.
People have as much of a right and the ability to protest in this country now than ever before.
In the vast majority of situations when they are ORDERED to our police disperse crowds non violently and when they face opposition they use new non lethal tools like pepper spray.
And some STILL bitch about that.Rolling Eyes
I don't know. From what I've read so far I think the Furguson, Mo. police chief has handled things pretty poorly. He seems like an old school "Do as I say or else" kind of guy. That ain't going to work with this crowd. He needs to be smarter then that. Maybe it's time they thought of replacing him. I don't blame his officers, they're taking their marching orders from their leadership after all.
With perpetual war winding done the military industrial complex is in a bind, they want it all. The Feds give city/county/states taxpayer money to buy war toys to point at taxpayers.
I take a dim view pointing weapons at citizens. The average Ferguson cap looks like he is wearing more protectipn than our people in Afghanistan enjoy. Sorry this was over the top. Remember during the Katrina aftermath when the officer yelled to point those weapons down....damn right.
the official police account of what happened has not yet come in. And news photos showed some young men in the crowd lighting Molotov cocktails.

Police said they responded with force only after the Molotov cocktails were thrown at them

In the video it said the police didn't bring out the big bad swat guys until just before dark.
I will agree it doesn't seem necessary to point the weapons directly at someone unless they do have some kind of weapon or if the police have a valid think they might.

http://kdvr.com/2014/08/14/military-vete...on-police/
Quote: ='Willie Krash' pid='344804' dateline='1408320017']
With perpetual war winding done the military industrial complex is in a bind, they want it all. The Feds give city/county/states taxpayer money to buy war toys to point at taxpayers.

Anyone here had war toys pointed at them? Have you Willie? Funny but I doubt TWO things.
One... that most of the troublemakers in Ferguson even care about Brown.
And two that VERY few if any pay taxes.

Quote:I take a dim view pointing weapons at citizens. The average Ferguson cap looks like he is wearing more protectipn than our people in Afghanistan enjoy.

Hey I'm with you guys about point REAL guns at demonstrators but why oh why is anyone complaining that the cops having too much protection? They deserve all they can get and if they have more than our soldiers than we need to help our soldiers.

Quote: Sorry this was over the top. Remember during the Katrina aftermath when the officer yelled to point those weapons down....damn right.
Smiling
Every member of law enforcement should have video and audio equipment in their vehicles and on themselves, not only for the protection of themselves regarding potential lawsuits, but also to protect the citizens from renegade above-the-law police forces. It keeps everyone in check.
(08-17-2014, 07:32 PM)claunde Wrote: Every member of law enforcement should have video and audio equipment in their vehicles and on themselves, not only for the protection of themselves regarding potential lawsuits, but also to protect the citizens from renegade above-the-law police forces. It keeps everyone in check.

I totally agree and I think they are moving that way. Police have been doing this very thing in many areas without anyone making them.
Video is crucial now and not just convenient. It's a powerful tool and technology has made it very affordable.
There are already millions of video surveillance cameras on private businesses.The police have used these videos to take countless bad people off the street.

I especially like the part where the town Keene, New Hampshire (pop. 23,409 as of the 2010 Census) put in a request for funding, getting a BearCat (see photo and link for reference). Said request used the explanation that: "the terrorism threat is far reaching and often unforeseen" and suggested that a possible target might be the town's annual pumpkin festival. Also pictured below.

[Image: iqf1qu.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenco_BearCat

[Image: 35meahh.jpg]
So forget terrorism. When some nut starts shooting everything that moves from his window is this what you want the cops driving? I mean after all it won't SCARE anyone. Isn't that the problem? Innocent people being scared of tactical vehicles or gear?

If you were the police chief I bet the cops would roll up in this wearing t-shirts shorts and sandals.

[Image: 1974_Ford_Country_Squire_2.jpg]
(08-18-2014, 05:01 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I especially like the part where the town Keene, New Hampshire (pop. 23,409 as of the 2010 Census) put in a request for funding, getting a BearCat (see photo and link for reference). Said request used the explanation that: "the terrorism threat is far reaching and often unforeseen" and suggested that a possible target might be the town's annual pumpkin festival. Also pictured below.

[Image: iqf1qu.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenco_BearCat

[Image: 35meahh.jpg]

You must not have seen the effects of a pumpkin cannon. And just look at all that ammo in the pic.
Mapping the Spread of the Military’s Surplus Gear

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/....html?_r=2

Interesting map, though i doubt some of the numbers.
(08-18-2014, 05:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: So forget terrorism. When some nut starts shooting everything that moves from his window is this what you want the cops driving? I mean after all it won't SCARE anyone. Isn't that the problem? Innocent people being scared of tactical vehicles or gear?

If you were the police chief I bet the cops would roll up in this wearing t-shirts shorts and sandals.

[Image: 1974_Ford_Country_Squire_2.jpg]

The fact that SWAT raids have increased by 1400% since 1980 is more terrifying than a BearCat for a town of 23,000. The idea that Homeland Security thinks that a town of 23,000 NEEDS a BearCat to protect itself from terrorism—that's pretty messed up, too.

Of course, it doesn't think that. You know that. I know that.

Heck, just an SUV or two should be enough. Maybe one armored car to share for the county. A few of those nice armored SWAT vests and a trained squad of five or so men who also get lots of volunteer work with kids and at-risk teens. That should do it.
(08-18-2014, 06:28 PM)charger Wrote: Mapping the Spread of the Military’s Surplus Gear

Given that the quoted source at the very bottom (past the additional articles to click on) is the Department of Defense, I'm inclined to think they're fairly accurate. At least, as accurate as the public records the Department of Defense has released are.
Quote:
Rowan.,...The fact that SWAT raids have increased by 1400% since 1980 is more terrifying than a BearCat for a town of 23,000.

LOL since 1980?? Yeah I think in 34 years Swat raids would increase DER!.

Swat teams are called out more than ever because it is simply the best and safest way to deal with many situations.
What does this increase mean in your ultra liberal fraidy cat world? You probably think they are going to huff and puff and blow down the screen door to your Yurt with a Bear cat armored vehicle?Laughing

Quote:The idea that Homeland Security thinks that a town of 23,000 NEEDS a BearCat to protect itself from terrorism—that's pretty messed up, too.

Maybe not so much.......

The application for the armored bearcat noted that Keene hosts several events that draw large crowds each year -- such as the annual Pumpkin Festival and Clarence DeMar Marathon -- lies on major corridor used by trucks carrying hazardous materials and is a designated evacuation area if there is a nuclear accident at Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant in Vernon, Vt. It also pointed out that the city is situated on two flood prone rivers, and Bearcats have proven useful for rescues and patrols during natural disasters.

Quote:Heck, just an SUV or two should be enough. Maybe one armored car to share for the county.

UM.. what they are trying to obtain IS an armored vehicle. What makes you think it wouldn't wouldn't be shared by the county?Rolling Eyes
(08-18-2014, 06:42 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(08-18-2014, 06:28 PM)charger Wrote: Mapping the Spread of the Military’s Surplus Gear

Given that the quoted source at the very bottom (past the additional articles to click on) is the Department of Defense, I'm inclined to think they're fairly accurate. At least, as accurate as the public records the Department of Defense has released are.

We lots of surplus military gear. I can't think of a single thing better to do with it than give it to law enforcement all over the country.
But then I don't consider Law enforcement the ENEMY.

I don't get it. What next strip down the national guard of scary tactical things so guys like Rowie won't be skeered??

I mean after all as we speak the national guard is rolling in to Ferguson, what the hell do you think they will be driving?