That was different...
I saw something today that I've never seen before. Driving south on I5 between Yreka and Weed there was a turtle crossing the freeway!! Unsure I managed to avoid squashing it, as did the vehicle behind me. I couldn't see any other traffic but the little feller had a ways to go. I wished him well.

I didn't know there were wild turtles roaming around here. Now I do.
Is there anyplace turtles don't reside? Maybe one of our resident hunters can check in.
And what is the difference between turtles and tortoises anyway?
(08-19-2014, 08:11 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Is there anyplace turtles don't reside? Maybe one of our resident hunters can check in.

Turtles have fins and live in the water. Tortoises have legs and live on land. Right?
(08-19-2014, 09:33 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 08:11 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Is there anyplace turtles don't reside? Maybe one of our resident hunters can check in.

Turtles have fins and live in the water. Tortoises have legs and live on land. Right?

I think the turtles around here have webbed feet not fins like sea turtles. Once when I was fishing at Agate lake in a very dry summer ( like now) we were catching turtles instead of fishBlink They had legsRazz

Cuzz,, you probably saw a tortoise but with this weather it may have been a turtle who's pond dried up looking for some new digs.
Turtles used to be a prized delicacy. There always turtle soup recipes in old 19th century restaurant menus and cookbooks.
(08-20-2014, 12:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Turtles used to be a prized delicacy. There always turtle soup recipes in old 19th century restaurant menus and cookbooks.

They probably still are for many Asians. Of course the more endangered the more they will payRazz.
And especially if there is some idiotic mythology behind it. I can just imagine someone thinking eating turtles will give you longevity. Or maybe I have actually heard of that?
(08-20-2014, 01:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2014, 12:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Turtles used to be a prized delicacy. There always turtle soup recipes in old 19th century restaurant menus and cookbooks.

They probably still are for many Asians. Of course the more endangered the more they will payRazz.
And especially if there is some idiotic mythology behind it. I can just imagine someone thinking eating turtles will give you longevity. Or maybe I have actually heard of that?

If you want longevity, I think you want to use a pump.

Suddenly, I don't even recognize this thread anymore!!!! Twitch
A turtle on I-5? He must of been looking for a Shell station.
(08-21-2014, 08:00 AM)GPnative Wrote: A turtle on I-5? He must of been looking for a Shell station.

[Image: thumbs-up.gif]
(08-21-2014, 08:00 AM)GPnative Wrote: A turtle on I-5? He must of been looking for a Shell station.

Razz
A turtle was robbed by two slugs.
The cops arrived and asked the turtle if he got a good look at the suspects.
He replied.. "Oh No, It all happened so fast!"
(08-21-2014, 09:02 AM)tvguy Wrote: A turtle was robbed by two slugs.
The cops arrived and asked the turtle if he got a good look at the suspects.
He replied.. "Oh No, It all happened so fast!"

LaughingLaughing