Still Summer
We all understand we remain socially acceptable as long as we read "mind candy" in the summer months (Beach reading).

Holy autumnal equinox Bat Man, autumn starts on or about September 22.

Bearing down on us. Read while the light is good.

I've enjoyed some good fun stuff this summer. A small list if you might be looking for that one thing to read before you again tackle that book about the founding fathers.

And hope you might share a couple too.

Midnight - Keven Egan
Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King (No, I'm not a King fan---Like this)
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Rosie Project - Simsion
The Martian - Andy Weir

Come winter, the season of serious study, I might just tackle the entire Nancy Drew series.

PS: Have time of only one? I'd recommend "The Martian".
(09-13-2014, 12:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We all understand we remain socially acceptable as long as we read "mind candy" in the summer months (Beach reading).

I've enjoyed some good fun stuff this summer. A small list if you might be looking for that one thing to read before you again tackle that book about the founding fathers.

Midnight - Keven Egan
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Martian - Andy Weir

Come winter, the season of serious study, I might just tackle the entire Nancy Drew series.

I can't read at the beach. The sun makes the white pages to reflective and it blinds me. I have tried reading under a beach umbrella, but that just makes me want to drink, and when I do I read the same paragraph over and over and still don't know what it said. No sir, I have discovered that the only thing to do on a sunny beach is to look at the babes.

So Wonk, tell me about The Martian without spoiling it. Is it about a Martian?
(09-13-2014, 01:49 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-13-2014, 12:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We all understand we remain socially acceptable as long as we read "mind candy" in the summer months (Beach reading).

Midnight - Keven Egan
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Martian - Andy Weir

I can't read at the beach. The sun makes the white pages to reflective and it blinds me. I have tried reading under a beach umbrella, but that just makes me want to drink, and when I do I read the same paragraph over and over and still don't know what it said. No sir, I have discovered that the only thing to do on a sunny beach is to look at the babes.

I can tell you without spoiling it. The Martian is about this guy, who goes to this place. And runs in to these things and he doesn't know if it's real or not. And he meets this girl. Of coarse she's as hot as a peppercorn but only wants to use him for her own devices. Things blow up. People get made dead except for the Martian. The end Fini.

Come on Wonky, You know I didn't read it but I bet I'm pretty phreaking close anyway.
If U red won book U red em allRazzRazz
(09-13-2014, 02:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Midnight - Keven Egan
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Martian - Andy Weir

I can tell you without spoiling it. The Martian is about this guy, who goes to this place. And runs in to these things and he doesn't know if it's real or not. And he meets this girl. Of coarse she's as hot as a peppercorn but only wants to use him for her own devices. Things blow up. People get made dead except for the Martian. The end Fini.

Come on Wonky, You know I didn't read it but I bet I'm pretty phreaking close anyway.
If U red won book U red em allRazzRazz

It's really about a guy from Mart and not very exciting. I like your description better.
[Image: books?id=cMdJFO2dIZQC&printsec=frontcove...rpEvmUy2dE]

What I Lived For by Joyce Carol Oates
One of her great novels. It reminds me of We Were The Mulvaneys, American Appetites, and Wonderland (which are all GREAT novels). These four are complex, subtle, hilarious, and horrifying in a variety of ways. Completely immersive reading. Joyce Carol Oates is a genius, a genius, she's a total genius.
(09-13-2014, 05:42 PM)Big Rock Wrote: [Image: books?id=cMdJFO2dIZQC&printsec=frontcove...rpEvmUy2dE]

What I Lived For by Joyce Carol Oates
One of her great novels. It reminds me of We Were The Mulvaneys, American Appetites, and Wonderland (which are all GREAT novels). These four are complex, subtle, hilarious, and horrifying in a variety of ways. Completely immersive reading. Joyce Carol Oates is a genius, a genius, she's a total genius.

Well Rock, your incredible review got me interested so I read a couple of more in depth reviews and now I suspect that this is a man bashing book. Talk me down.
(09-13-2014, 07:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Well Rock, your incredible review got me interested so I read a couple of more in depth reviews and now I suspect that this is a man bashing book. Talk me down.

Based on my impression of you, I don't think this novel would be accessible to you. I don't think you'd like it.

Midnight - Keven Egan
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Martian - Andy Weir

Lots of trash talk above about this, so I'm sure to get more flack by responding Cete, but here goes:

First all all, how can you not like a book with the first sentence, "I'm fucked!"

So here is a review by Goodreads:

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.

It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. But will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
(09-13-2014, 07:25 PM)Big Rock Wrote:
(09-13-2014, 07:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Well Rock, your incredible review got me interested so I read a couple of more in depth reviews and now I suspect that this is a man bashing book. Talk me down.

Based on my impression of you, I don't think this novel would be accessible to you. I don't think you'd like it.

Your impression of me might be based on your own biases or my online persona. I am tempted to read the book just to see. I have however found that I have little patience for authors trying to lead me to a conclusion I know I can't except as reality based. It is why I can't read the Bible.
(09-14-2014, 09:22 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Midnight - Keven Egan
The Drop - Dennis LeHane
The Martian - Andy Weir

Lots of trash talk above about this, so I'm sure to get more flack by responding Cete, but here goes:

First all all, how can you not like a book with the first sentence, "I'm fucked!"

So here is a review by Goodreads:

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.

It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. But will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?

This might be a good read. It is not sci fi, which I loved as a teenager, but this drama might keep my attention.