Last Summer Read/ or Movie
Hmmm. You asked where was bob dole when we needed him. Putting aside the rather subjective question of whether we indeed do need bob dole, I'm pretty sure he and Elizabeth are not amongst the Amber waves of grain.
This summer I read Gone Girl. Waging Heavy peace, Behind the Veil and some others too. Oh yeah, Thunderstruck by Erik Larsen and In the Garden of beasts, and also unbroken and Seabiscuit.
(09-23-2014, 09:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote: This summer I read Gone Girl. Waging Heavy peace, Behind the Veil and some others too. Oh yeah, Thunderstruck by Erik Larsen and In the Garden of beasts, and also unbroken and Seabiscuit.

Ya gotta admit the lady who wrote "Gone Girl" knows how to keep our interest. Trash, but I couldn't put it down. Great escape.
I too read "Unbroken". I was in a funk for a week. Wink (Saw "Seabiscuit" movie, and know the lady who wrote "Unbroken" wrote it; just never got around to it. She is a very good writer.

My wife reads Erik Larsen. I haven't yet and not sure I want to. Your take?
I have read many Tom Clancy books through the years and love them. When he died last October I realized how many more books he wrote that I didn't get to. So I have been re-reading quite a few and now I am reading The Teeth of the Tiger which is the first one I haven't ever read.
(09-24-2014, 09:58 AM)Snowlover Wrote: I have read many Tom Clancy books through the years and love them. When he died last October I realized how many more books he wrote that I didn't get to. So I have been re-reading quite a few and now I am reading The Teeth of the Tiger which is the first one I haven't ever read.

Like everyone else on the planet, I read "The Hunt For Red October" and thought it was a great read. Then I read a couple more. I confess I got burned out on the sameness of his plots. But the man was a piece of work! His research is considered prodigious and he "got it right". He will be alive for a very long time because of his writing.

Have you ever read Robert Ludlum? Kind of in the same vein, (written some years before) but folks who enjoyed his stuff read it ALL!

If you might be in the mood for a complete change of subject, may I suggest "The Rosie Project", by Graeme Simsion. It's light, funny, and yet it it's own way says a lot about some important social stuff.
(09-24-2014, 11:03 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 09:58 AM)Snowlover Wrote: I have read many Tom Clancy books through the years and love them. When he died last October I realized how many more books he wrote that I didn't get to. So I have been re-reading quite a few and now I am reading The Teeth of the Tiger which is the first one I haven't ever read.

Like everyone else on the planet, I read "The Hunt For Red October" and thought it was a great read. Then I read a couple more. I confess I got burned out on the sameness of his plots. But the man was a piece of work! His research is considered prodigious and he "got it right". He will be alive for a very long time because of his writing.

Have you ever read Robert Ludlum? Kind of in the same vein, (written some years before) but folks who enjoyed his stuff read it ALL!

If you might be in the mood for a complete change of subject, may I suggest "The Rosie Project", by Graeme Simsion. It's light, funny, and yet it it's own way says a lot about some important social stuff.

I got burned out as well which is why I stopped reading them. It is amazing though his knowledge and I love the Jack Ryan character.

I have read some of Robert Ludlum and enjoy that as well.
(09-24-2014, 07:23 PM)Snowlover Wrote:

I got burned out as well which is why I stopped reading them. It is amazing though his knowledge and I love the Jack Ryan character.

Tia recently mentioned "Gone Girl" here. I bet you can't start that an not finish! (You might even call in sick to stay home an read a couple of chapters). Hey, it's not literature but the lady who wrote the thing is REALLY good at what she does! (Going to be movie soon). It's a thriller in a totally different way that Tom Clancy's kind of thriller.
(09-24-2014, 07:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Tia recently mentioned "Gone Girl" here. I bet you can't start that an not finish! (You might even call in sick to stay home an read a couple of chapters). Hey, it's not literature but the lady who wrote the thing is REALLY good at what she does! (Going to be movie soon). It's a thriller in a totally different way that Tom Clancy's kind of thriller.

I have heard from many family members that Gone Girl is excellent. I saw the movie trailer about a week ago and went on Amazon and thought it too pricey. But today I got an email from Amazon and got all three books by Gillian Flynn including Gone Girl for $12.79 so I bought them.
(09-24-2014, 07:37 PM)Snowlover Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 07:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I have heard from many family members that Gone Girl is excellent. I saw the movie trailer about a week ago and went on Amazon and thought it too pricey. But today I got an email from Amazon and got all three books by Gillian Flynn including Gone Girl for $12.79 so I bought them.

Good move!

Haven't read any Ludlum. Maybe I should. I did love Larson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, even though I thought there was some serious translation problems. I think that just speaks to a really good story, that it can survive that abuse and still be so riveting. I love Lisbeth's character. She's a very uniquely written female character. Very strong. Very compelling.
(09-24-2014, 08:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Haven't read any Ludlum. Maybe I should. I did love Larson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, even though I thought there was some serious translation problems. I think that just speaks to a really good story, that it can survive that abuse and still be so riveting. I love Lisbeth's character. She's a very uniquely written female character. Very strong. Very compelling.

Tia, I don't "see you" liking Ludlum a lot. Maybe....
My wife reads Larson's stuff and would agree with you about the Lisberth's character. She has told me about it (still don't know if I want to read him) and has said the character is very complex and ...all you said. I'm tempted, but it sounds REALLY dark. You may have talked me into to it.
(09-24-2014, 08:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

My wife reads Larson's stuff and would agree with you about the Lisberth's character. She has told me about it (still don't know if I want to read him) and has said the character is very complex and ...all you said. I'm tempted, but it sounds REALLY dark. You may have talked me into to it.

Dark? Well, sorta....personally I don't think any darker than "Gone Girl". The usual: Murder, intrigue sort of stuff. There's some sexual stuff, but really what's good is that it is intrinsic and not just gratuitous and builds on a incredibly complex character. I think, once you meet "Lisbeth", she will always be with you. You won't forget her.
(09-24-2014, 09:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Dark? Well, sorta....personally I don't think any darker than "Gone Girl". The usual: Murder, intrigue sort of stuff. There's some sexual stuff, but really what's good is that it is intrinsic and not just gratuitous and builds on a incredibly complex character. I think, once you meet "Lisbeth", she will always be with you. You won't forget her.

I going to have to add it to my list of stuff to read I think. I wonder: Is the translation done by one person, or are there other translations of it? (Too lazy to go to the Net and do my own research)
(09-25-2014, 08:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 09:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 11:03 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Like everyone else on the planet, I read "The Hunt For Red October" and thought it was a great read. Then I read a couple more. I confess I got burned out on the sameness of his plots. But the man was a piece of work! His research is considered prodigious and he "got it right". He will be alive for a very long time because of his writing.

I going to have to add it to my list of stuff to read I think. I wonder: Is the translation done by one person, or are there other translations of it? (Too lazy to go to the Net and do my own research)

I many be wrong, but I think there is only one translation. I don't think they knew what a hit the series would be or they would have put more money into a better translation and may even hired an editor. Laughing It's still one of my faves for all that.