Pit Bulls. Again...
From the Oregonian:

A Pomeranian dog was killed after it was attacked by a pit bull Wednesday night on the Portland Streetcar, police said.

A witness, Cole Vliet-Sutten, 32, said he was riding the CL Line when a woman and her pit bull walked onto the streetcar at Northwest 13th Avenue and Lovejoy Street. Almost immediately, Vliet-Sutten said, the pit bull lunged at a black Pomeranian already on board.

"The pit bull put its mouth over the other dog's head," he said. "Everybody was screaming, and this happened for five to 10 minutes."

The streetcar passengers were urging the owner to do something, Vliet-Sutten said. Eventually, he said, the pit bull's owner put her hands in between the dog's teeth and pried its jaw open. The Pomeranian escaped, and the owner rushed the small dog to DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital.

"There was blood everywhere," he said. "It was a horror scene."

Vliet-Sutten said the pit bull and its owner left the scene.

Officers interviewed witnesses and investigated and said no apparent criminal behavior was exhibited by anyone involved.

This isn't the first dog fatality on public transportation. In October 2008, a 7-pound Pomeranian died after it was attacked by a 50-pound Rottweiler mix on a bus.

-- Kasia Hall
People should leave the snack dogs at home so the real dogs aren't tempted.
(09-25-2014, 08:36 AM)charger Wrote: People should leave the snack dogs at home so the real dogs aren't tempted.

Wink Not so funny to the owner of the small dog I would guess.

We've mauled this topic to death in prior posts, but I'll repeat what some of us thought about it then: That it's THE OWNER of the Pit Bull that must accept the blame. The dog is only responding to the genes breed into his brain.

Owning a Pit Bull, or any other animal known to be aggressive by nature requires the responsibility of the actions of the animal.
(09-25-2014, 08:36 AM)charger Wrote: People should leave the snack dogs at home so the real dogs aren't tempted.

Uh-oh, your Simon is showing. Eyebrows
(09-25-2014, 09:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

We've mauled this topic to death in prior posts, but I'll repeat what some of us thought about it then: That it's THE OWNER of the Pit Bull that must accept the blame. The dog is only responding to the genes breed into his brain.

Owning a Pit Bull, or any other animal known to be aggressive by nature requires the responsibility of the actions of the animal.
Blink Wgat?
I', not sure I'll EVER understand your point on this. you say....
That it's THE OWNER of the Pit Bull that must accept the blame. The dog is only responding to the genes breed into his brain.

Well yes dogs are merely property in the eyes of the law and the "blame" will be focused on the pit bull owner for not controlling their animal.

But why is it so hard for you and so many others to not see that these dogs are crap as far as pets and pose a danger to children, elderly and other pets like NO OTHER DOG.
I would like to think we all understand and get the fact that these animals were indeed bred to fight are are more aggressive than other dogs.
Too many won't admit that.
But why doesn't the dog get any of the blame? I don't give a rats ass whether it's his natural behavior to attack and kill small nearly defenseless dogs or our children.

Just the simple fact that pit bulls do that so often makes them a piece of shit dog that should NOT be anyone's PET.
We don't allow people to walk around with hyenas or leopards for a reason.
(09-25-2014, 09:28 AM)tvguy Wrote: a piece of shit dog that should NOT be anyone's PET.

TRUTH
(09-25-2014, 09:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-25-2014, 09:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Blink Wgat?
I', not sure I'll EVER understand your point on this. you say....
That it's THE OWNER of the Pit Bull that must accept the blame. The dog is only responding to the genes breed into his brain.

Well yes dogs are merely property in the eyes of the law and the "blame" will be focused on the pit bull owner for not controlling their animal.

But why is it so hard for you and so many others to not see that these dogs are crap as far as pets and pose a danger to children, elderly and other pets like NO OTHER DOG.
I would like to think we all understand and get the fact that these animals were indeed bred to fight are are more aggressive than other dogs.
Too many won't admit that.
But why doesn't the dog get any of the blame? I don't give a rats ass whether it's his natural behavior to attack and kill small nearly defenseless dogs or our children.

Just the simple fact that pit bulls do that so often makes them a piece of shit dog that should NOT be anyone's PET.
We don't allow people to walk around with hyenas or leopards for a reason.

We are never going to agree about this.
I'd agree with you IF these dogs were just running free without human control.
They are not.
So put a damn log chain around his neck and keep him from chewing on living things. Because, I don't ever see a day when "we" will outlaw owning dangerous dogs.

But we are not going to come to terms with this. Why don't you just admit your reasoning skills have been damaged by hitting yourself in the head too many times and tuning up the truck with the shop doors closed. Razz
Quote: Wonky..Because, I don't ever see a day when "we" will outlaw owning dangerous dogs.

Really? Try opening up your eyes and looking around

Breed-specific laws state-by-state

Over 700 U.S. cities have enacted breed-specific laws (BSL). Cities, such as Denver, that reside within a state containing an "anti-BSL clause" have effectively implemented them as well.
Municipalities with BSL

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky

Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio

Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths.

32 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2013. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 78% (25) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.

Hmmm. lets see here 32 people killed by dogs and almost 80% were killed by pit bulls.

And yet pits are only 6% of our dog population.

What does this fact tell a reasonable person about this breed of dog?
(09-25-2014, 10:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:

32 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2013. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 78% (25) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.

Hmmm. lets see here 32 people killed by dogs and almost 80% were killed by pit bulls.

Yep.
And still...
The poor little pooch in Portland got his head chewed up by a pit bull.
Guess we still have a long road ahead, even if your information is totally correct.
(09-25-2014, 10:29 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-25-2014, 10:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep.
And still...
The poor little pooch in Portland got his head chewed up by a pit bull.
Guess we still have a long road ahead, even if your information is totally correct.

The poor little pooch in Portland was killed. This is so common it's not even funny.
All you have to do is watch a few Judge Judy type shows to see the same thing going on over and over.
All you have to do is see the judges roll their eyes when the PB owners make the claim that bad owners make pits bad pets.

Maybe not all of the info is correct. Somethings may have changed but it should be obvious that breed specif laws are indeed in place in HUNDREDS of American cities and our military bases.
Not to mention a dozen entire countries who have PB bans.
This is a bit interesting or "telling" IMO. It's a Caesar Milan website where someone is TRYING to explain how PB's got a bad rap.

IMO it's bullshit but read the comment below the story Laughing You have the typical argument that PEOPLE are the problem and not the PBRolling Eyes

In 2013, over one-third, 38% (12), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred, up from 32% in 2012. Children 7-years and younger accounted for 83% (10) of these deaths.
Of this subset of 12 fatalities, 92% (11) were inflicted by pit bulls and 58% (7) involved a babysitter, including a relative or friend under the directive to watch a child 7-years or younger. All 7 of these child deaths were inflicted by pit bulls.

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/bas...-a-Bad-Rap
(09-25-2014, 10:46 AM)tvguy Wrote: Maybe not all of the info is correct. Somethings may have changed but it should be obvious that breed specif laws are indeed in place in HUNDREDS of American cities and our military bases.
Not to mention a dozen entire countries who have PB bans.

And some insurance companies refuse to issue homeowners/renters insurance to owners of specific breeds of dogs considered vicious.

Although I am sure that is of little impact to most vicious dog owners as they mostly spend their money on liquor and cigarettes, not insurance. Wink
I'm glad this moron got 15+ years.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...story.html

An Antelope Valley man whose pit bulls mauled a woman to death last year was sentenced Friday to 15 years to life in prison.

Alex Donald Jackson -- who had faced 24 years to life in prison -- was found guilty on Aug. 29 of second-degree murder for the death of 63-year-old Pamela Devitt.

On May 9, 2013, Devitt had set out for a walk alone near 115th Street and Avenue S in Littlerock when she encountered Jackson's pit bulls, which proceeded to brutally attack her.

Devitt initially survived the attack and was able to respond to paramedics, but just four minutes into the ambulance ride, she went into cardiac arrest and died.

An autopsy later revealed Devitt suffered between 150 and 200 puncture wounds.

During Jackson's trial, sheriff's Deputy Jason Brandenburg testified that one of the pit bulls continued to pick at Devitt's bloodied body as he approached.

Jackson had been warned about his violent pit bulls, which were involved in at least seven other altercations before the fatal attack, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. He was charged with second-degree murder after authorities determined nothing had been done to prevent another attack.

Authorities seized eight dogs, four of which had Devitt's DNA on their fur, prosecutors said.
<sarcasm> It's not the animals fault at all. It's the fault of the owner every single time.
Pit bulls are wonderful pets especially around children.
This is a proven fact because most PB owners don't ever have a problem.
PB's are like any other dog. The only kill and horribly maul children more than any other bred because of a few bad owners. <sarcasm/>