A policeman shot in Ferguson MO
Beyond sad.
This piece says there is a video on "social media". I'm not sure I even want to see it.
This madness has to stop.
We know there are "bad cops" out there.
We know there are some bad folks in "the community"
We understand the history of inequality and social injustice in our country.
We understand. We do.
But this madness has to stop.

From the NYT:
BREAKING NEWS Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:56 PM EDT
A Police Officer Is Shot in Ferguson
A police officer in Ferguson, Mo., was shot on Saturday night, the local authorities said, as protests continued over the death of an unarmed teenager who was shot by a police officer last month.
The shooting happened around 9:20 p.m., said Brian Schellman, a spokesman for the St. Louis County Police Department. Officials did not immediately release the officer’s condition or the circumstances of the shooting.
In a video that was posted on social media, Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol, told protesters that the officer was the only person who was shot.
READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/us/a-p...a_20140927
(09-28-2014, 12:09 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Beyond sad.
This piece says there is a video on "social media". I'm not sure I even want to see it.
We understand. We do.

What the hell are you talking about? This shooting didn't have anything to do with the Michael Brown incident.
It's simply what happens all over the country and especially in crime ridden areas full of black thugs.
This madness has to stop? Well crime is down at it's lowest point in many years. All we can do is put these people in jail and that's what we have been doing. It will NEVER stop. This has little to do with a history of inequality and social injustice in our country any more than why the cop shot brown. It has to do with a culture of people who embrace crime and have no problem committing these crimes... even on each other.
(09-28-2014, 12:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 12:09 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Beyond sad.
We understand. We do.

What the hell are you talking about? This shooting didn't have anything to do with the Michael Brown incident.

This madness has to stop? Well crime is down at it's lowest point in many years. All we can do is put these people in jail and that's what we have been doing. It will NEVER stop. This has little to do with a any more than why the cop shot brown. It has to do with a culture of people who embrace crime and have no problem committing these crimes... even on each other.

I have real respect for many of your views on social issues.

But if can so easily dismiss the "history of inequality and social injustice in our country" you may have lived a sheltered life.

You say, "It's simply what happens all over the country and especially in crime ridden areas full of black thugs". True, crime is rampant in these areas. Historically in our cities, the Irish, Italians, Jews, Slavs, and other ethnic groups have been crime ridden communities. But, they did not have black faces, were never slaves, and were able to move into our middle classes. Many blacks too, have become middle class and are not part of the groups to which you refer. For reasons far too complex and detailed to review here, our neighborhoods that are primarly black are "stuck" in a cycle of poverty that they see as hopeless. Is it any wonder that rage and violence becomes epidemic? Yes, many become "black thugs" and the rest of the neigborhood is too often held captive by the actions of these thugs.

But...we; you and I are never going to come to any reasonable way of discussing this. And that, too, is part of the "history of ...." well, you know.

The policeman is dead, shot (most likely) by black thugs. We really must understand the complexities of everything that lead to this event. To see it in simple terms without history is to be blind to history.
Quote:Wonky But if can so easily dismiss the "history of inequality and social injustice in our country" you may have lived a sheltered life.

I don't dismiss it at all Wonky. I have said on numerous post over and over that we need to clean up our drug and crime infested cities and provide jobs for the mostly minorities who live there.
Perhaps you don't remember me saying that a few DOZEN times.

I'm just sick and tired of the totally lopsided amount of crime committed byblacks and the apologists who make excuses for them. Like YOU are doing now.

I don't care if theses thug criminals have ancestors that were slaves or even if the cops look harder at them than whites.
They have earned a reason for cops to look harder at them.

What you posted is nothing more than a cop interrupting a crime being committed. And the criminals he was chasing shot him. It just happened to be in Ferguson. Other than the location it's just some thugs with guns running from the police.

Making it about slavery is a crock of shit. Just like pretending Michael Brown had his rights violates was a crock.

Quote:The policeman is dead, shot (most likely) by black thugs. We really must understand the complexities of everything that lead to this event. To see it in simple terms without history is to be blind to history.

This another CROCK, the cop isn't dead. He got shot in the arm.

It's time to stop making excuses for criminals just because they happen to be black.
Quote:But if can so easily dismiss the "history of inequality and social injustice in our country" you may have lived a sheltered life.

This part about me.. "sheltered life." I know for a fact that I have done and seen more people places and whatever that the vast majority of people in this valley of whom a great many have never done a damn thing but go to school, get a job , buy a house.

Right or wrong my opinions or insights come from a life with REAL experiences that few here can match. I've lived with black people in the military and cities.I've seen first hand what makes some of them tic and it's really not a lot different that hundreds of lowlife whites I've known. I've been nearly beaten to death, shot at and still manged to get away from some bad choice friends who were later either imprisoned or executed.
Quite Franky I've seen a lot and I don't care if that sounds arrogant , it's just the truth.
I worked my way through and out of what a lot of people fell victim to. I did it because I'm not lazy. I don't and never felt entitled.
I don't rationalize that it's OK to break the law. I don't hate the government or feel like I was cheated and that some how the government owes me.

Not like the 90 percent of the assholes who fill our prisons and keep the gimme gimme welfare lines long. I could have been, easily. I went in to the military as a fatherless teenager and was trained to carry a radio with a long antenna in a pointless war.
I never went home, I lived in a traveled all over this country and I learned that MOST people are the same and want the same things. And most WORK for that goal.
The ones who don't, who have a shitload of whiney excuses? Screw em. I have VERY little sympathy.
Because form what I have seen... they usually make their own bed.
(09-28-2014, 02:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:But if can so easily dismiss the "history of inequality and social injustice in our country" you may have lived a sheltered life.

This part about me.. "sheltered life." I know for a fact that I have done and seen more people places and whatever that the vast majority of people in this valley of whom a great many have never done a damn thing but go to school, get a job , buy a house.

Right or wrong my opinions or insights come from a life with REAL experiences that few here can match. I've lived with black people in the military and cities.I've seen first hand what makes some of them tic and it's really not a lot different that hundreds of lowlife whites I've known. I've been nearly beaten to death, shot at and still manged to get away from some bad choice friends who were later either imprisoned or executed.
Quite Franky I've seen a lot and I don't care if that sounds arrogant , it's just the truth.
I worked my way through and out of what a lot of people fell victim to. I did it because I'm not lazy. I don't and never felt entitled.
I don't rationalize that it's OK to break the law. I don't hate the government or feel like I was cheated and that some how the government owes me.

Not like the 90 percent of the assholes who fill our prisons and keep the gimme gimme welfare lines long. I could have been, easily. I went in to the military as a fatherless teenager and was trained to carry a radio with a long antenna in a pointless war.
I never went home, I lived in a traveled all over this country and I learned that MOST people are the same and want the same things. And most WORK for that goal.
The ones who don't, who have a shitload of whiney excuses? Screw em. I have VERY little sympathy.
Because form what I have seen... they usually make their own bed.

Your'e right about it all.
You would also be right if you said Bill and Melinda Gates are worth millions.
You would be right, but you would have totally ignored the real amount of their wealth.

My point was (and is) the complexity of things. YOUR Experiences are important but your life is, by it's very nature, one of limited exposure.
I learned a lot reading "The Red Badge of Courage", but contrary to rumors here I am not a veteran of the Civil War.

What I don't know would fill volumes, but I've learned that there is seldom anything about human nature, or behavior, that is simple and easy to explain.

PS: Sorry I posted the Policeman was killed. I confess I did not read the piece carefully, only that the officer was shot. I'm glad it was only a wound and hope his recovery is speedy and complete.
I got a chuckle when police spokesman said the officer blocked the shot with his arm. Big Grin
(09-28-2014, 04:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I got a chuckle when police spokesman said the officer blocked the shot with his arm. Big Grin

Maybe. But if he took the round in the arm rather than the face, I'd call that a good block.

I've decided not to move to Ferguson. Rents are too high.
Self defense, shoot the cops first, before they shoot you.
(09-28-2014, 10:14 PM)chuck white Wrote: Self defense, shoot the cops first, before they shoot you.

The amazing thing is that cities (anywhere) can find people who will take the job. "Protect and serve" seems so far in the past that it can hardly be remembered.