Electrical Advice Needed
Quote:Valuesize Wrote: It says 120 volts, 1.2 amps. Laughing It shows no sign of struggle the three times I've used it. It only takes 20 minutes per batch which I think is about the same as making ice cream. I'm fairly certain turning the drum is easier than the final stages of ice cream making.

That's what I was thinkingWink I once read that a sewing machine motor could pull a freight train with the proper gears.
But I bet a trip from Medford to Portland would take about 9 thousand yearsRazz
You should be proud of my use of tape. (TV) Big Grin

[Image: DSCF3455_zpsaead0efd.jpg]

And some beans I JUST roasted.

[Image: DSCF3460_zpsdd6248eb.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3462_zpsca5a70de.jpg]
Those are some nice looking beans
Quote: 'Valuesize' pid='346063' dateline='1411065569']
You should be proud of my use of tape. (TV) Big Grin

Well played sir. Well played.Big Grin
I have another stupid question for you all. Embarrassed Is there anything inside this motor that would be harmed by spraying WD-40 inside without opening it up? Laughing I fear if I open it, something may fall out or otherwise happen and I won't get it back together properly. Big Grin
(09-18-2014, 11:56 AM)GPnative Wrote: Those are some nice looking beans

Thanks. Big Grin

I'm just home for a moment now but I'll post a truly impressive Pacamara bean I roasted yesterday when I return.
Appointment canceled. Smiling

Both these beans are from Nicaragua. The Pacamara is impressive looking isn't it? I will taste it tomorrow when it will be 72 hours post roast. It already smells like no other bean I've roasted, remarkable.

[Image: DSCF3471_zps5be600d4.jpg]
(09-18-2014, 03:49 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I have another stupid question for you all. Embarrassed Is there anything inside this motor that would be harmed by spraying WD-40 inside without opening it up? Laughing I fear if I open it, something may fall out or otherwise happen and I won't get it back together properly. Big Grin

What do you think?
(09-19-2014, 03:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 03:49 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I have another stupid question for you all. Embarrassed Is there anything inside this motor that would be harmed by spraying WD-40 inside without opening it up? Laughing I fear if I open it, something may fall out or otherwise happen and I won't get it back together properly. Big Grin

What do you think?

Not REGULAR WD-40. They make a CONTACT CLEANER that would work, but there are lots of brands that specialize in this stuff. Most of it is spendy.

And example:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D...fgodLz0AwQ

What do you think?

Use the WD. I've done it a million times. The only reason not to use WD is that it's flammable. That is why electricians buy a similar product that is not (CRC) who makes a contact cleaner and also a similar product to WD.

Just don't spray it in to a running motor.

I've used WD to get lots of smaller motors to try and get to run that were just clogged with dirt or grease. Very often it will work.
BUT WD isn't really a very good lubricant for the long run. It's almost more of a cleaner.

Why do you need to spray it with something? Does it squeak?

BTW you can even spray WD 40 inside the distribute cap on your car. That's a good thing to know if your distributor ever gets wet.

The "WD" part stands for water displacement.
(09-19-2014, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What do you think?

Use the WD. I've done it a million times. The only reason not to use WD is that it's flammable. That is why electricians buy a similar product that is not (CRC) who makes a contact cleaner and also a similar product to WD.

Just don't spray it in to a running motor.

I've used WD to get lots of smaller motors to try and get to run that were just clogged with dirt or grease. Very often it will work.
BUT WD isn't really a very good lubricant for the long run. It's almost more of a cleaner.

Why do you need to spray it with something? Does it squeak?

BTW you can even spray WD 40 inside the distribute cap on your car. That's a good thing to know if your distributor ever gets wet.

Routine maintenance. Laughing

It's noisier than I think it should be. If a little WD will quite it a little, I can hear the cracking of the beans better. (which is important)
(09-19-2014, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What do you think?

<Snip>
You dummy. WD stands for Wild Dandelions, everybody knows that. The stuff is made from weeds and costs 2 cents a can to make.
But, it's great for removing acrylic paint from your hands after a paint job.

Valuesize, I think he's right: Just don't spray it on anything powered up. Proving TVg is right twice a year. (He already caught my error about the Amp thing. I HATE that)
WD-40 didn't help a bit. With a BBQ roaster you need sight, sound and smell to know where the beans are at . Maybe I'll use one of these until I find a better motor. Smiling

[Image: Ear-Trumpet-Vintage-Image-Graphics-Fairy-580x320.jpg]
WD will dry out a barring. you need silicon spray
(09-21-2014, 09:27 PM)chuck white Wrote: WD will dry out a barring. you need silicon spray

Yep. And I use white lithium. And of course, one never wants to oil a ball bearing race.

(I learned all this from TVg. If's it's bull, blame him)
(09-21-2014, 09:27 PM)chuck white Wrote: WD will dry out a barring. you need silicon spray

Absolutely maybeBlink
Most bearings are all sealed now anyway. I think that every single time I used WD to get a small motor going was because I had nothing to lose, the motor didn't workRazz

I wouldn't use silicon spray it might give me man boobsRazz
(09-21-2014, 11:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Absolutely maybeBlink
Most bearings are all sealed now anyway. I think that every single time I used WD to get a small motor going was because I had nothing to lose, the motor didn't workRazz

I wouldn't use silicon spray it might give me man boobsRazz

Too much beer will do that.
What do you think of this bad boy? I don't see specs for it though. I thought Amazon always provided specs. Sad

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-11M33-Prof...+and+motor

[Image: 717J9oPiyML._SL1500_.jpg]