Duct Tape
Today I learned the definition of broke and this is it. If you can't fix it with duct tape, it really is broken. I am not talking about pretty fixes, but if duct tape don't hold the thing together then buy a new one. For example: My back porch flood lights have come apart; duct tape did not fix them Therefore, tomorrow I will buy new lights. Thank you for your attention. Burp. Wink
(10-02-2014, 07:45 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Today I learned the definition of broke and this is it. If you can't fix it with duct tape, it really is broken. I am not talking about pretty fixes, but if duct tape don't hold the thing together then buy a new one. For example: My back porch flood lights have come apart; duct tape did not fix them Therefore, tomorrow I will buy new lights. Thank you for your attention. Burp. Wink

The new duct tape is called hot glue sticks with a glue hot gun. I bet it would work. I can fix an airplane propeller with enough hot glue. I love the stuff.Big Grin
(10-02-2014, 07:45 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Today I learned the definition of broke and this is it. If you can't fix it with duct tape, it really is broken. I am not talking about pretty fixes, but if duct tape don't hold the thing together then buy a new one. For example: My back porch flood lights have come apart; duct tape did not fix them Therefore, tomorrow I will buy new lights. Thank you for your attention. Burp. Wink

My vote for the "best" post of the month!

(Of course it's only the 2nd day of the month) Razz
one of my favorites is crazy glue and baking soda.
put a little crazy glue on something then sprinkle baking soda on it.
It turns into instant plastic
(10-03-2014, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: one of my favorites is crazy glue and baking soda.

Sounds OK for a really small fix IF you don't have a glue gun. And if you don't it's like not having running water or a pocket knife RazzRazz

The hot glue sticks already are instant plastic.

I think I had glue sticks way before they were on the store shelves. A pipe fitter for the gas company gave me a whole handful.
They were industrial grade and I could and did fix damn near anything that was plastic.
No real need for the electric glue gun. I didn't have one for years. I just used a small butane torch.
(10-03-2014, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-03-2014, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: one of my favorites is crazy glue and baking soda.

Sounds OK for a really small fix IF you don't have a glue gun. And if you don't it's like not having running water or a pocket knife RazzRazz

I think I had glue sticks way before they were on the store shelves. A pipe fitter for the gas company gave me a whole handful.
They were industrial grade and I could and did fix damn near anything that was plastic.
No real need for the electric glue gun. I didn't have one for years. I just used a small butane torch.

"I just used a small butane torch."
OMG!

Knowing you are out there playing with fire in the valley where the rest of us lives scares the bejesus outta me!
(10-03-2014, 01:44 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

"I just used a small butane torch."
OMG!

Knowing you are out there playing with fire in the valley where the rest of us lives scares the bejesus outta me!

It shouldBig Grin

Glue gun glue is soft, crazy glue and baking soda make a hard plastic.
Worked great on my camera battery holder. the damn thing would pop open because the pressure from the batteries springs was more than the little plastic tabs could handle. They kept bending and wouldn't hold. I thicken them up by wetting them with crazy glue and sprinkling baking soda on it. Worked like a champ.
(10-03-2014, 05:17 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Glue gun glue is soft, crazy glue and baking soda make a hard plastic.
Worked great on my camera battery holder. the damn thing would pop open because the pressure from the batteries springs was more than the little plastic tabs could handle. They kept bending and wouldn't hold. I thicken them up by wetting them with crazy glue and sprinkling baking soda on it. Worked like a champ.

Hey that's makes sense and I'll remember your trick for smaller projects or problems.
They make different types of glue sticks, they are not all "soft" see the info I posted. I need to order some of the good stuff.Wink

I once created a WW2 army type howitzer on wheels for a memorial day parade almost entirely out of PVC pipe and part of the frame and wheels off of a power wheels toy Jeep.
It almost entirely put together with hot glueLaughing
Dang I wish I had a picture of that thing, It was actually pretty cool.

I bought a beat up 2002 Monte Carlo once and the outside mirror was duct taped on to the carRazz
I didn't even think it could be fixed but when I took it apart I realized that the outer painted housing was OK along with the mirror.
But the inside which was all plastic was shattered. No problem , I reassembled the thing piece by piece with hot glue making sure the two bolts that held it on were in place.
And then when upside down it was like a bowl. I filled the entire bowl with hot glue, put it on the car and it was like new.
Probably stronger than the original.

Hot melt glue comes in various grades, types and forms and varies greatly in price.

The least expensive General Purpose Clear Some of the hot melt glue sticks available from www.glu-stix.com is a great value and an outstanding hobby and light packaging glue. This type of glue stick is great for low demand applications, such as gluing eyes on dolls, floral display work, light duty assembly and repairs and is a great way to save money.

Be aware that many "frosty white" bargain style, ultra low cost glue sticks on the market are nothing more than melted polyethylene plastic which contains no actual adhesive. Although very inexpensive, this type of glue is such a low performance product, it's hardly worth buying. We do not sell this type of glue stick!

As the price goes up a bit, the performance goes up a lot! Our Fast Set and Dura-Tac glues offer outstanding value and uncompromising adhesion in porous to porous surface gluing applications such as carton sealing or woodworking. You pay a little more, use half as much and are guaranteed an outstanding result. Our Fast Set is specifically formulated for carton sealing and woodworking. Our Dura-Tac glue is the strongest non-polyamide glue on the market and is probably the best all around hot melt for the money.

When most other hot melt glues won't work, our Tuff-Tac hot melt glue product is simply outstanding. It offers unsurpassed adhesion to hard, shiny surfaces, like glass-to-metal or PVC-to-ceramics, etc.

For ultra high demand gluing projects such as high temperature environments, metal to metal, or any non-porous to non-porous requirement, Ultra-Tac polyamide glue is widely regarded as the best in all regards. There is no other glue on the market which is stronger over a wider range of conditions than Ultra-Tac. For more information about polyamide glues such as Ultra-Tac, read our Polyamide Glue Info Sheet.
[Image: ducktape.jpg]

Oh stop it. It's a joke! I really love listening to my wife talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk. Big Grin
[Image: Duct+Tape+Hair.jpg]

Matches the I Q.