Acorns
I have oak trees.
And lawns.
And acorns clear up to my rear end! (I counted them yesterday: 1,854,916 acorns)

I've been online trying to find out if I can just leave these things on the lawns without damaging the grass. I can find all kinds of opinions from people who don't really know much about it. I can't find any site that seems to be "authoritative".

Anyone here know about this stuff?

Sure would like some info.
Ali called Ernie Shavers an acorn. Does that help? Hogs like acorns, go buy one and let em go. I doubt he would hurt the lawn, too much.
Throw your acorns in the neighbors yard when the won't notice for a while and then check out their grass.
Go to the cemetery , pick a grave site and adorn it with a couple buckets acorns. They won't touch it thinking it has some meaning. Maybe toss a flower on top.
Take hammer and a 1/2 in. pipe. Drive each acorn in to the ground about an inch or two. More fun than raking and next year the acorns won't be your only problem.

Get a baseball bat and shag a few acorns at passing cars. Actually that sounds like fun, I'll be right over with my favo Louisiville slugger.
If you leave them you run the chance of having more trees that will in turn produce more acorns.
get a cobble stone path and you can have acorns on the cob.
(10-09-2014, 05:06 PM)chuck white Wrote: get a cobble stone path and you can have acorns on the cob.

Oh sure! You are about as much help as the two nut jobs you followed.

Hey, back in the day, when Oldsmobile was a great car, Ike was in the White House, and Elvis was not yet fat, when guys got really old (That would be ME!) the folks who loved and cherished him would come do the stuff he could not longer do. You know...like rake up billion acorns.

Oh. Embarrassed I got nailed on the "love an cherish" think, right?
(10-09-2014, 05:17 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 05:06 PM)chuck white Wrote: get a cobble stone path and you can have acorns on the cob.

Oh sure! You are about as much help as the two nut jobs you followed.

Hey, back in the day, when Oldsmobile was a great car, Ike was in the White House, and Elvis was not yet fat, when guys got really old (That would be ME!) the folks who loved and cherished him would come do the stuff he could not longer do. You know...like rake up billion acorns.

Oh. Embarrassed I got nailed on the "love an cherish" think, right?

Get a powerful leaf blower
Make an acorn gun and invite the neighbor kids over. Your problem will be in someone else's yard before you know.
(10-09-2014, 09:03 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Make an acorn gun and invite the neighbor kids over. Your problem will be in someone else's yard before you know.

Cool.
Please send plans for acorn gun.
(10-09-2014, 09:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 09:03 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Make an acorn gun and invite the neighbor kids over. Your problem will be in someone else's yard before you know.

Cool.

Cool.

Easy. Get something that looks like a barrel, prime it with powder, pack it with acorns, and get someone to touch it off!! Surprised

You should stand back so you can get the Big picture. Big Grin
(10-09-2014, 09:16 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Cool.

Easy. Get something that looks like a barrel, prime it with powder, pack it with acorns, and get someone to touch it off!! Surprised

You should stand back so you can get the Big picture. Big Grin

OMG! Great! Thanks.
So, I haven't built it yet but I'm thinking of maybe getting some nuclear material to use for firing. (But hey, I'm not stupid or nothin'....I'll wear a face mask)
we have an oak tree that is also an acorn dropping sunuvagun. Thankfully it's over the driveway, but it does get bad enough I do try to rake up what I can and of course we have to make sure the cars are pulled out of the way otherwise you get that nice loud metallic sound of acorns hitting your car.
(10-10-2014, 09:52 AM)GPnative Wrote: we have an oak tree that is also an acorn dropping sunuvagun. Thankfully it's over the driveway, but it does get bad enough I do try to rake up what I can and of course we have to make sure the cars are pulled out of the way otherwise you get that nice loud metallic sound of acorns hitting your car.

Lucky you! Raking them from grass requires real work!
I have a backpack gas blower that will move them, but it's time consuming and because I live in a residential neighborhood I don't like to run the thing for long periods and disturb those around me.

I'm thinking more and more about that pig someone suggested. Smiling
Raking leaves and acorns up is counter productive, bad for the environment and therefore a waste of time.
We need to put a stop to this. I'm gonna start a movement somehow. I could get some us funny looking masks and we could occupy the grange co-op or something similar.

Get T shirts printed up that say leeves is good.. Leave our leafs alone or whatever.

If raking leaves is such a great Idea how come no one goes out the forest picks a tree and rakes all around it?
(10-10-2014, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote: Raking leaves and acorns up is counter productive, bad for the environment and therefore a waste of time.
We need to put a stop to this. I'm gonna start a movement somehow. I could get some us funny looking masks and we could occupy the grange co-op or something similar.

Get T shirts printed up that say leeves is good.. Leave our leafs alone or whatever.

If raking leaves is such a great Idea how come no one goes out the forest picks a tree and rakes all around it?

Run for office. You have my vote.
Don't pigs like acorns? Get a pig.
Here you go Wonk, you can turn those acorns into some cash, might even make enough to buy yourself a slice of pie and coffee.

http://medford.craigslist.org/wan/4850463458.html

Cash for Acorns - $1 (Sams Valley)

I would like as many acorns as someone will pick. I will pay $1.00 per gallon and can supply 3 and 5 gallon buckets for picking. Great way for young ones to earn some money. Scouts and 4-H'ers can earn money for their clubs! I can pick them up in town if necessary. Please only this years brown acorns. No rotten or moldy ones. Many of them are now sprouting which is great. I'm feeding them to my goats who love them.
You can call, email or text to 541-89zero-386three. Thank You
(01-19-2015, 10:25 AM)GPnative Wrote: Here you go Wonk, you can turn those acorns into some cash, might even make enough to buy yourself a slice of pie and coffee.

http://medford.craigslist.org/wan/4850463458.html

Cash for Acorns - $1 (Sams Valley)

I would like as many acorns as someone will pick. I will pay $1.00 per gallon and can supply 3 and 5 gallon buckets for picking. Great way for young ones to earn some money. Scouts and 4-H'ers can earn money for their clubs! I can pick them up in town if necessary. Please only this years brown acorns. No rotten or moldy ones. Many of them are now sprouting which is great. I'm feeding them to my goats who love them.
You can call, email or text to 541-89zero-386three. Thank You

Thanks.
But, most of the acorns in my lawns have been beaten down into the turf or cracked and powdered. I may have a forest of little Oak trees in the spring. Sad