Pit Bulls. Yet again.
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index...._most-read

Annie Stark opened the front door to her Troutdale home just a smidge on Friday to see about the two strange pit bulls sniffing around outside. Her 8-year-old pug, Maggie, playfully put her front paws on the stoop.

Suddenly the visitors lunged at Maggie, sinking their powerful jaws into either side of the pug's neck. The next 10 minutes were terrifying.

"It was the most brutal, vicious thing I've ever seen in real life," said Stark, a 54-year-old former nurse whose eyesight is failing. Her 20-pound dog was very nearly devoured in front of her by the pit bulls, a male and female with a combined weight of 146 pounds.

Friday's attack was the third serious pit bull mauling reported in the Portland area in less than three weeks.

<snip>

Stark watched in horror Friday as the dogs dragged her little pug across her front yard.

"They saw her as prey," she said in a Sunday interview with The Oregonian.

Stark's 13-year-old son tried to pry the dogs off Maggie, but she called him away because she was afraid he'd be bitten in the face. Stark picked up a metal broomstick and began beating the pit bulls in front of her house. But they held on. So she began to gouge the dogs' ears and eyes. Still they wouldn't let go.

She sent her daughters into the house to call 911. She tried to tell her two sons to grab a shovel, but she was out of breath and couldn't produce the words. The broomstick was now broken in her hands, so she turned for another weapon to fight off the pit bulls.

"By the time I got to the front with the splitting maul, I watched them drag her out to the street," Stark said.

She saw a neighbor, a man well over 6 feet tall, heaving big rocks at the dogs. But still they wouldn't let go.

Only when her neighbor began to beat the dogs with the blunt end of the maul did the dogs break their grip on Maggie.

"Maggie lay lifeless in the street," Stark said. "I thought she was dead."

They got her emergency veterinary care and brought her home to heal. But Maggie died in Stark's bed.

"I woke up this morning. She was gone."

Stark said she intends to pursue legal action against the pit bulls' owner.

-- Bryan Denson

(end of article)

Reported by Bryan Denson. So, why didn't the reporter attempt to find the owner and publish the name? Maybe get a statement as to why the dogs were running loose.

So here we go: Blame the dogs, or the owners?
Both
The pit bulls and the owner of the pit bulls.
I don't know which I dislike more, pitbulls or owners of pitbulls.
Dogs or owners? Why is that such a big deal to you wonky?

The dog itself has proven to be a lousy dog to have as a pet because they are too often too aggressive.
They too often attack without provocation.
They too often kill or cause MAJOR harm to adults and just as often if not more to children.
They are aggressive powerful dogs who were CREATED that way on purpose by HUMANS.

So of course it's humans fault every time some child's bones are crushed and they are maimed for life. Or children slaughtered just like pits LOVE to slaughter small week animals.

it's OUR fault these animals are out in our society as pets. It's ourfault that people can't wake up and see the obvious fact that these animals should be banned or have heavy restrictions on their use.

I think common sense would have prevailed here like it has so many other places and countries if it were not for the IDIOT, MORON so called animal lovers that we have running and working at the humane society or the county animal control.
(10-13-2014, 10:58 AM)tvguy Wrote: Dogs or owners? Why is that such a big deal to you wonky?

The dog itself has proven to be a lousy dog to have as a pet because they are too often too aggressive.
They too often attack without provocation.
They too often kill or cause MAJOR harm to adults and just as often if not more to children.
They are aggressive powerful dogs who were CREATED that way on purpose by HUMANS.

So of course it's humans fault every time some child's bones are crushed and they are maimed for life. Or children slaughtered just like pits LOVE to slaughter small week animals.

it's OUR fault these animals are out in our society as pets. It's ourfault that people can't wake up and see the obvious fact that these animals should be banned or have heavy restrictions on their use.

I think common sense would have prevailed here like it has so many other places and countries if it were not for the IDIOT, MORON so called animal lovers that we have running and working at the humane society or the county animal control.

We have been here before. Too often.

Not ALL pit bulls are killers. So, if a responsible person who takes TOTAL responsibility for them keep them in control, why outlaw the many who cause no problem?

Dogs are just dogs and will behave as such depending on their breed.

But PEOPLE have choices about responsible conduct.

If we hit people hard who are not responsible, we should be able to prevent about 99% of these awful attacks.

Again, it's about the dog OWNERS.
(10-13-2014, 02:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Not ALL pit bulls are killers. So, if a responsible person who takes TOTAL responsibility for them keep them in control, why outlaw the many who cause no problem?

Simple, because the percent of them who do cause all the problems we constantly hear about should be banned and you can't have it YOUR way where some clairvoyant hired by the county tells us which pit bulls will later be the ones ripping someones face off.

Quote:Dogs are just dogs and will behave as such depending on their breed.

But PEOPLE have choices about responsible conduct.

If we hit people hard who are not responsible, we should be able to prevent about 99% of these awful attacks.

LaughingLaughing Yeah AFTER these vicious dogs tear off children's body parts or maim people for life. Sure punish the owners after the fact.
So tell me about that plan some more.That plan is working so well where? Where is this 99 reduction?

Quote:Again, it's about the dog OWNERS.

It's BOTH. There are people who love , care for and treat PB's like they should be treated.
And too often even those dogs will hurt someone very badly or worse.

And there are the jackass wanna be tough guys and girls who WANT a dog that people will be afraid of and the dogs will happily and naturally oblige.
I 've seen what pit bulls do by watching Judge Judy and at least 10 other similar type shows.
Almost always the pit bull owners are found at fault and the usually have to spend a LOT of cash for medical bills, personal suffering, replacement costs for the pets they kill. And often the PB's are put down.

Hey Wonky You get to hear these PD owners comments after the trials. They almost NEVER admit to their responsibility or learn a damn thing.
(10-13-2014, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: I 've seen what pit bulls do by watching Judge Judy and at least 10 other similar type shows.
Almost always the pit bull owners are found at fault and the usually have to spend a LOT of cash for medical bills, personal suffering, replacement costs for the pets they kill. And often the PB's are put down.

Hey Wonky You get to hear these PD owners comments after the trials. They almost NEVER admit to their responsibility or learn a damn thing.

Okay. Smiling
Yeah, makes sense to ban Pit Bulls. There's plenty of other dog species for people to choose from. IMO it seems a little irresponsible for people to own Pit Bulls.

Aw, ain't I cute, as soon as you turn your back I can't wait to rip your head off, because I'm a genetically psycopathic killer. Awww, I'm so cute though.
[Image: pitbull-story.jpg#pit%20bulls%20640x640]
[Image: Angry-bull-terrier.jpg]
(10-13-2014, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey Wonky You get to hear these PD owners comments after the trials. They almost NEVER admit to their responsibility or learn a damn thing.

Which reminds me of another thread in which Wonky asked whether people are basically good or evil. People are often, basically, scum in my opinion...but not everyone and not always.
(10-16-2014, 11:44 AM)Big Rock Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey Wonky You get to hear these PD owners comments after the trials. They almost NEVER admit to their responsibility or learn a damn thing.

Which reminds me of another thread in which Wonky asked whether people are basically good or evil. People are often, basically, scum in my opinion...but not everyone and not always.

Well...
The Topic to which you refer was a couple of guys (philosophers of sorts) who were asking the question about "Mankind". Of course individual conduct is not part of this argument. Granted, enough "individuals" make up "mankind", but what about our "nature", the thing that makes humans so different from all other primates? The awareness of "Self".

Right now, in the environs of Iraq there are evil people cutting off the heads of other humans and treating women and girls like cattle. In a world of 7 Billion people they are a tiny minority. Deadly, but still just a few nut jobs when see in the light of the entire population.

We have the ability to evolve. We have. We will. The "English Enlightenment" -- the age of reason-- gave us moral and intellectual tools to evolve to that "City on the hill". They explained the "social contract" that is a guide to better conduct. We are still struggling, but we have potential.

The secret of course is individual conduct. For instance, how we behave on this forum, or better yet, how we learn to behave here, is an example of how good and bad conduct is reflected in the wider society. Societies of course become "mankind".

Or something like that. What I don't know is almost everything. I'm not all that "good" but try not to do evil things.
(10-16-2014, 11:44 AM)Big Rock Wrote:

Well...
The Topic to which you refer was a couple of guys (philosophers of sorts) who were asking the question about "Mankind". Of course individual conduct is not part of this argument. Granted, enough "individuals" make up "mankind", but what about our "nature", the thing that makes humans so different from all other primates? The awareness of "Self".

Right now, in the environs of Iraq there are evil people cutting off the heads of other humans and treating women and girls like cattle. In a world of 7 Billion people they are a tiny minority. Deadly, but still just a few nut jobs when see in the light of the entire population.

We have the ability to evolve. We have. We will. The "English Enlightenment" -- the age of reason-- gave us moral and intellectual tools to evolve to that "City on the hill". They explained the "social contract" that is a guide to better conduct. We are still struggling, but we have potential.

The secret of course is individual conduct. For instance, how we behave on this forum, or better yet, how we learn to behave here, is an example of how good and bad conduct is reflected in the wider society. Societies of course become "mankind".

Or something like that. What I don't know is almost everything. I'm not all that "good" but try not to do evil things.
(10-16-2014, 12:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: The secret of course is individual conduct. For instance, how we behave on this forum, or better yet, how we learn to behave here, is an example of how good and bad conduct is reflected in the wider society. Societies of course become "mankind".

For the love of GodRolling EyesRolling Eyes how we behave on this forum or ANY internet forum doesn't have a damn thing to do with the "wider society" or "mankind".

WE are ANONYMOUS for the most part. people WILL and DO say things on forums like this because of that. Sheesh I can't even believe you don't get that and you EXPECT and CONSTANTLY try to get people to behave the way YOU want.

Quote:Wonky..... how we learn to behave here

From YOU? I can and have learned things here but that's not my motivation for coming here and I sincerely doubt anyone feels much different.

I love ya buddy but you really should stop with the the hall monitor nanny thing you do.Smiling
(10-15-2014, 03:50 PM)Thinker Wrote: Yeah, makes sense to ban Pit Bulls. There's plenty of other dog species for people to choose from. IMO it seems a little irresponsible for people to own Pit Bulls.

Aw, ain't I cute, as soon as you turn your back I can't wait to rip your head off, because I'm a genetically psycopathic killer. Awww, I'm so cute though.

Welcome to the forum Thinker dudeBig Grin I agree with you 100%
(10-16-2014, 12:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 03:50 PM)Thinker Wrote: Yeah, makes sense to ban Pit Bulls. There's plenty of other dog species for people to choose from. IMO it seems a little irresponsible for people to own Pit Bulls.

I agree too. Alway have. Would never own a pit bull.

But tell me, how far do you want to go with this? When we start outlawing breeds of dogs we approach that "slippery slope". What next? Cats that roam outside and threaten birds? Automobiles with so much more horsepower it will NVER be required for normal driving? Planting bushes with thorns that injure small children?

Let's make PEOPLE responsible. Want a law? Make one that says all pit bulls must be on a log chain 24/7 and chained to a steel post unless the owner has full and complete control when the dog is off "the post". Pit bull gets lose and bites? Kill the dog and put the owner in the slammer.

Or not. You know, I'm not so sure I care all that much.Wink
(10-16-2014, 01:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-16-2014, 12:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I agree too. Alway have. Would never own a pit bull.

But tell me, how far do you want to go with this? When we start outlawing breeds of dogs we approach that "slippery slope". What next? Cats that roam outside and threaten birds? Automobiles with so much more horsepower it will NVER be required for normal driving? Planting bushes with thorns that injure small children?

Let's make PEOPLE responsible. Want a law? Make one that says all pit bulls must be on a log chain 24/7 and chained to a steel post unless the owner has full and complete control when the dog is off "the post". Pit bull gets lose and bites? Kill the dog and put the owner in the slammer.

Or not. You know, I'm not so sure I care all that much.Wink

When people use the slippery slope defense I always cringe. That defense can be used to defend not making just about any law.

The law or ordinance that would ban PB ownership has ALREADY been implemented 700 U.S. cities not to mention entire countries who have bans. How many of those cities now have bans on bushes with thorns Or on letting the cat go outside??

Quote:Let's make PEOPLE responsible. Want a law? Make one that says all pit bulls must be on a log chain 24/7 and chained to a steel post unless the owner has full and complete control when the dog is off "the post". Pit bull gets lose and bites? Kill the dog and put the owner in the slammer.

If you could show me ANY city or country that can and has made the PEOPLE responsible I would love to see that.
It seems to me like if that was the answer at least one city somewhere would have gone that route.

BTW keeping a pet dog on a log chain 24/7 and chained to a steel post is considered animal abuse by a lot of people including me.
Some places want to make it illegal to chain up a dog for ANY length of time.

Also YOUR law that says the owner has full and complete control when the dog is loose

Is already the law. All of what you say is a way to make the owners responsible would be AFTER the fact.

So Sally STILL gets her arm maimed and mauled for life. OR she gets killed by a pit bull. And THEN the law comes in to affect?
(10-16-2014, 12:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: WE are ANONYMOUS for the most part.

Anonymous? I had no idea. I thought Wonky was his real name.