BEER
I felt a bit challenged by Homebrew's comment to me in another thread. So, well, I'm not a beer geek. I'd kinda like to be, but I geek out about so many things, that this one is rather anemic. As I said, I know what I like. Malty, smooth beers. So, lots of times I really don't know what I'm doing or looking for...I just kind of go by experience. But, hey! I'm open to more edumacation! I'd like to learn more about beer without being inundated with a 6 page list of things that overwhelms my information bank.

What say you?
I used to drink beer. This was my favorite:

[Image: beer_87.jpg]
BBQ turned me onto a beer called Old Chubs, that on tap was very good. Hasn't been that good since. But at the time it was quite good.
[Image: tumblr_n50pmlq97e1qc4febo1_500.jpg]
(10-27-2014, 08:32 PM)Big Rock Wrote: [Image: tumblr_n50pmlq97e1qc4febo1_500.jpg]

Yep. But it wasn't in a can.
We are all adults (I think). I'm open to a couple of beer sampling outings for purely scientific reasons, early evenings if anyone is strong enough for such thoughts. Keep it simple and limited. For old, and working folks....takers?
The growing growler craze is a nice way to sample a lot of different beers. Cartrights for example has a crazy amount of taps all of which are labeled on TV screens so you know what they are, alcohol %'s, etc. and of course you can sample before you buy. It is a nice way to try a variety of different beers and they also offer several growler sizes, the smallest being a 32oz. I believe.

My current favorite easy drinking brew is Caldera's Lawnmower Lager.
(10-28-2014, 06:56 AM)GPnative Wrote: The growing growler craze is a nice way to sample a lot of different beers. Cartrights for example has a crazy amount of taps all of which are labeled on TV screens so you know what they are, alcohol %'s, etc. and of course you can sample before you buy. It is a nice way to try a variety of different beers and they also offer several growler sizes, the smallest being a 32oz. I believe.

There are lots of breweries now that you can take growlers to.
(10-27-2014, 07:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I felt a bit challenged by Homebrew's comment to me in another thread. So, well, I'm not a beer geek. I'd kinda like to be, but I geek out about so many things, that this one is rather anemic. As I said, I know what I like. Malty, smooth beers. So, lots of times I really don't know what I'm doing or looking for...I just kind of go by experience. But, hey! I'm open to more edumacation! I'd like to learn more about beer without being inundated with a 6 page list of things that overwhelms my information bank.

What say you?

I sorry if I made you feel challenged I didn't mean to. So many folks say they don't like this beer or that because its an ale or lager. There are only 2 kinds of beer yeast Top fermenting (Ale ) and bottom fermenting (lager). So all beer's fall into one or the other, Larger's can be dark as October Fest, light as in Bud is Pilsner style but still a lager.
One other point larger's are fermented cold 40-45 deg, ales at higher temps mid 60's all the way to 80+ for Belgians. Ales are more fruty and Largers are a lot cleaner
So do you live in GP or Medford? I would like to go with you folks and drink a beer sometime and get you confused even moor about beer.
(10-28-2014, 08:14 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 07:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I felt a bit challenged by Homebrew's comment to me in another thread. So, well, I'm not a beer geek. I'd kinda like to be, but I geek out about so many things, that this one is rather anemic. As I said, I know what I like. Malty, smooth beers. So, lots of times I really don't know what I'm doing or looking for...I just kind of go by experience. But, hey! I'm open to more edumacation! I'd like to learn more about beer without being inundated with a 6 page list of things that overwhelms my information bank.

What say you?

I sorry if I made you feel challenged I didn't mean to. So many folks say they don't like this beer or that because its an ale or lager. There are only 2 kinds of beer yeast Top fermenting (Ale ) and bottom fermenting (lager). So all beer's fall into one or the other, Larger's can be dark as October Fest, light as in Bud is Pilsner style but still a lager.
One other point larger's are fermented cold 40-45 deg, ales at higher temps mid 60's all the way to 80+ for Belgians. Ales are more fruty and Largers are a lot cleaner
So do you live in GP or Medford? I would like to go with you folks and drink a beer sometime and get you confused even moor about beer.

Medford here. Yes, well that was ......illuminating! Thing is, I still just like what I like. If it so happens that I dislike more ales than lagers, I'm gonna start saying I don't like ales. I know I don't like IPA's but the world is set against me!Crying
Just get some keystone light. If you don't like it dump in some honey or maple syrup or Worcestershire sauce. Paste a label on there with a half naked woman or a Swiss alp or whatever
Pa pow now you have a fancy IPA beer ( I piss a lot) to tell all your friends about.
(10-28-2014, 06:56 AM)GPnative Wrote: The growing growler craze is a nice way to sample a lot of different beers. Cartrights for example has a crazy amount of taps all of which are labeled on TV screens so you know what they are, alcohol %'s, etc. and of course you can sample before you buy. It is a nice way to try a variety of different beers and they also offer several growler sizes, the smallest being a 32oz. I believe.

I'm glad to hear about good lagers. Because I am a retired landscaper, I must try the Lawnmower Lager. Currently, my favorite beer is the relatively new, Miller's Fortune Lager.

[Image: ADCO-01-master180.jpg]
(10-28-2014, 11:33 AM)tvguy Wrote: Just get some keystone light. If you don't like it dump in some honey or maple syrup or Worcestershire sauce. Paste a label on there with a half naked woman or a Swiss alp or whatever
Pa pow now you have a fancy IPA beer ( I piss a lot) to tell all your friends about.

Hardly
(10-28-2014, 02:29 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 11:33 AM)tvguy Wrote: Just get some keystone light. If you don't like it dump in some honey or maple syrup or Worcestershire sauce. Paste a label on there with a half naked woman or a Swiss alp or whatever

Hardly

Of coarse not but it feels that way sometimes when someone raves about their beer and I try it... and it tastes like stale goat piss and dishwaterRazz
Give me a Coors Light with V8 and a Lemon Slice... or just give me Tequila and OJ. I'm not really a fan of Beer. More for you all, I suppose! Razz
(10-28-2014, 06:28 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Give me a Coors Light with V8 and a Lemon Slice... or just give me Tequila and OJ. I'm not really a fan of Beer. More for you all, I suppose! Razz

Sometimes I really like beer with V8, but very occasionally. Tequila is good and rum with gingerale, but they are not beer, so I don't try and compare them.
(10-28-2014, 07:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 06:28 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Give me a Coors Light with V8 and a Lemon Slice... or just give me Tequila and OJ. I'm not really a fan of Beer. More for you all, I suppose! Razz

Sometimes I really like beer with V8, but very occasionally. Tequila is good and rum with gingerale, but they are not beer, so I don't try and compare them.

I like to have beer with tomato juice. I think they are called a redeye?
Anyway I ran out of tomato juice once and tried a V8 instead. I thought it was horribleRazz
Good way to get your veggies, and a LOT of salt.
(10-29-2014, 11:17 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyway I ran out of tomato juice once and tried a V8 instead. I thought it was horribleRazz

I've heard them called Red Beer... and if you use Beer and Bloody Mary Mix (which is pretty tasty) a Bloody Beer.
(10-29-2014, 11:17 AM)tvguy Wrote:

a LOT of salt.
(10-28-2014, 08:14 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:

What say you?

I still need a "date" (not romantically) for Trivia night at the Portal!