Have you turned on your heat yet?
Just started our second fire of the season. Basking in the heat.

T-stat been set to 65, its kicked on a few times in the wee hours of the morning.
(11-02-2017, 05:32 PM)GPnative Wrote: Just started our second fire of the season. Basking in the heat.

T-stat been set to 65, its kicked on a few times in the wee hours of the morning.

I don't know how you deal with 65 degrees. I don't know: Maybe years ago I could tolerate that. Not now. We keep it at 72 during the day (off at night) and even then my hands are often cold. Getting old is a bitch!  Smiling
(11-02-2017, 05:32 PM)GPnative Wrote: Just started our second fire of the season. Basking in the heat.

I had the gas company out last week for a free once a year check. Everything checked out fine and I got to ask a lot of questions as to best way to keep costs down, one was setting the T-stat. He said it's best not to have more than 4 degrees difference from the low to high setting on the t-stat, so for us that's 63 while sleeping to 67 when we get up. I don't think it comes on at night yet, but it's been pretty mild so far at night up here.
(11-02-2017, 06:14 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I had the gas company out last week for a free once a year check. Everything checked out fine and I got to ask a lot of questions as to best way to keep costs down, one was setting the T-stat. He said it's best not to have more than 4 degrees difference from the low to high setting on the t-stat, so for us that's 63 while sleeping to 67 when we get up. I don't think it comes on at night yet, but it's been pretty mild so far at night up here.

I have problems with that advice. I don't use any heat at night and even when we had electric heat I turned it OFF when I went to bed.
What I've always been told is it takes less energy to keep the home at an even temp than to have to warm it up in the morning.
That's simply not the case at my house. It does not take very long to bring the temp up when I get up in the morning.
There's no way in hell that having the heat going off and on for at least 8 hours is not using more  energy.
(11-03-2017, 01:08 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I have problems with that advice. I don't use any heat at night and even when we had electric heat I turned it OFF when I went to bed.
What I've always been told is it takes less energy to keep the home at an even temp than to have to warm it up in the morning.
That's simply not the case at my house. It does not take very long to bring the temp up when I get up in the morning.
There's no way in hell that having the heat going off and on for at least 8 hours is not using more  energy.

Do you think it depends on the system? 

The other thing is I'm not used to having a whole house heater. It doesn't make sense to heat half the house (kitchen, dining, living) when you don't intend to be out there.
(11-03-2017, 08:06 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

The other thing is I'm not used to having a whole house heater. It doesn't make sense to heat half the house (kitchen, dining, living) when you don't intend to be out there.

It DOES depend on "the system". In a modern well insulated house with an efficient heating system it takes less energy to maintain a "reasonable stable lower temperature" during the night than to raise a low temperature back to room temperature in the morning. (So said the utility company I worked for). 
But, Like you TV, I don't want ANY heat during the night. So there is that: It's not ALL about efficiency.
And too, as you said, a lot depends on the building being heated, the kind of device producing the heat, and lots of other factors.
Me? I'd do whatever suits me and be happy about it.
Love my new woodstove. I have several years worth of wood on my property (dead and down, and dead standing) and already have more than enough for this winter cut and split.
(11-03-2017, 11:26 AM)Hugo Wrote: Love my new woodstove.  I have several years worth of wood on my property (dead and down, and dead standing) and already have more than enough for this winter cut and split.

What did you get?
We bought one made by Pacific Energy, it is a fantastic stove.
(11-03-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

It DOES depend on "the system". In a modern well insulated house with an efficient heating system it takes less energy to maintain a "reasonable stable lower temperature" during the night than to raise a low temperature back to room temperature in the morning. (So said the utility company I worked for). 
But, Like you TV, I don't want ANY heat during the night. So there is that: It's not ALL about efficiency.
And too, as you said, a lot depends on the building being heated, the kind of device producing the heat, and lots of other factors.

It DOES depend on "the system". In a modern well insulated house with an efficient heating system it takes less energy to maintain a "reasonable stable lower temperature" during the night than to raise a low temperature back to room temperature in the morning.

Because THEY say so.
I had my fill of wood stoves. If my house was bigger I would like to have one in case of power outages.
But otherwise I've cut split and hauled enough wood for a lifetime.
And I don't like the way they heat.

It's often TOO hot and I hate that.
(11-03-2017, 12:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:14 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I had the gas company out last week for a free once a year check. Everything checked out fine and I got to ask a lot of questions as to best way to keep costs down, one was setting the T-stat. He said it's best not to have more than 4 degrees difference from the low to high setting on the t-stat, so for us that's 63 while sleeping to 67 when we get up. I don't think it comes on at night yet, but it's been pretty mild so far at night up here.

It DOES depend on "the system". In a modern well insulated house with an efficient heating system it takes less energy to maintain a "reasonable stable lower temperature" during the night than to raise a low temperature back to room temperature in the morning.

Because THEY say so.
Well I guess we can decide if you or "they" know most about this. 
I don't know. Never gave it a "test ride".
And don't have a great deal of faith in "They".
And don't care all that much. Just thought I'd offer it up.
(11-03-2017, 02:17 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:08 AM)tvguy Wrote:  I have problems with that advice. I don't use any heat at night and even when we had electric heat I turned it OFF when I went to bed.

Because THEY say so.
I care because I don't want to waste money.

As far as a test ride. I know exactly how many pellets I burn and how long they last until I need another 40 lb bag.

I use more pellets if I try and keep MY house at a constant temp instead of just turning it off at night. So yeah, lots of factors.
(11-03-2017, 02:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:06 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think it depends on the system? 

Because THEY say so.

As far as a test ride. I know exactly how many pellets I burn and how long they last until I need another 40 lb bag.

I use more pellets if I try and keep MY house at a constant temp instead of just turning it off at night. So yeah, lots of factors.
No one suggests you should keep the house at a constant temp. As I recall, the suggestion was to back-set the night time setting 15 degrees below the day setting. 
I don't. I turn it off at night. 
MOST nights. When the overnight temps are expected to get down to subzero, I leave the setting at around 45.
(11-03-2017, 08:03 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: It DOES depend on "the system". In a modern well insulated house with an efficient heating system it takes less energy to maintain a "reasonable stable lower temperature" during the night than to raise a low temperature back to room temperature in the morning. (So said the utility company I worked for). 

Because THEY say so.

No one suggests you should keep the house at a constant temp. As I recall, the suggestion was to back-set the night time setting 15 degrees below the day setting. 
MOST nights. When the overnight temps are expected to get down to subzero, I leave the setting at around 45.

No one suggests you should keep the house at a constant temp

That's true
 As I recall, the suggestion was to back-set the night time setting 15 degrees below the day setting.

I don't recall anyone saying that and If I did that it would be the same as turning my heat off for the night.

Unless it's much colder than a normal winter day the temp in my house never drops as much as 15 degrees.
(11-04-2017, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:03 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Because THEY say so.

No one suggests you should keep the house at a constant temp

That's true
 As I recall, the suggestion was to back-set the night time setting 15 degrees below the day setting.

I don't recall anyone saying that and If I did that it would be the same as turning my heat off for the night.

Unless it's much colder than a normal winter day the temp in my house never drops as much as 15 degrees.

I said no more than 4 degrees.
With no heat on all night it was 64 degrees this morning. So I had the heat on a little while.

I knew you were all wondering Razz
(11-05-2017, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: With no heat on all night it was 64 degrees this morning. So I had the heat on a little while.

I turned it down to 60 after dinner. When I first looked this morning the temp was 63. Setting t-stat at 67 the system took 33 min. to heat 1500sf.
(11-05-2017, 02:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: With no heat on all night it was 64 degrees this morning. So I had the heat on a little while.

I turned it down to 60 after dinner. When I first looked this morning the temp was 63. Setting t-stat at 67 the system took 33 min. to heat 1500sf.

Hmm. That's interesting. So I wonder how long the heat would have ran if you had set it at 67 after dinner?
(11-05-2017, 03:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 02:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Hmm. That's interesting. So I wonder how long the heat would have ran if you had set it at 67 after dinner?

I had been setting it at 64 and I think it was coming on about 3 times for ten minutes.  Big Grin In this scenario, assuming the temp was about the same, (39) the damn thing came one three times to get me one degree more heat which is a waste. 

They are calling for 33 tonight and 31 tomorrow night so we'll see if it comes on tonight at 60..... 
BTW the warmest we've ever set it was 68 and we all agreed it was too warm.