Have you turned on your heat yet?
(11-05-2017, 06:58 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 03:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 02:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: With no heat on all night it was 64 degrees this morning. So I had the heat on a little while.

I knew you were all wondering Razz

I turned it down to 60 after dinner. When I first looked this morning the temp was 63. Setting t-stat at 67 the system took 33 min. to heat 1500sf.

Hmm. That's interesting. So I wonder how long the heat would have ran if you had set it at 67 after dinner?

I had been setting it at 64 and I think it was coming on about 3 times for ten minutes.  Big Grin In this scenario, assuming the temp was about the same, (39) the damn thing came one three times to get me one degree more heat which is a waste. 

They are calling for 33 tonight and 31 tomorrow night so we'll see if it comes on tonight at 60..... 
BTW the warmest we've ever set it was 68 and we all agreed it was too warm.

I had been setting it at 64 and I think it was coming on about 3 times for ten minutes

How the heck do you know that LOL
(11-05-2017, 07:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: I had been setting it at 64 and I think it was coming on about 3 times for ten minutes

How the heck do you know that LOL

Observation. Big Grin I don't sleep well and when I do sleep it's light.
(11-03-2017, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: I had my fill of wood stoves. If my house was bigger I would like to have one in case of power outages.
But otherwise I've cut split and hauled enough wood for a lifetime.
And I don't like the way they heat.

It's often TOO hot and I hate that.

I'm sure I'll get to that point someday, when I'm old.
(11-05-2017, 07:26 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: I had my fill of wood stoves. If my house was bigger I would like to have one in case of power outages.

If you mean the "too hot" part I think you have it backwards. Old people have poor circulation and the warmer the better. Wood stoves are notorious for uneven heating with the temp by the stove being 1000 degrees and it's 60 in the other end of the house
I've always hated going in to peoples homes that were too hot.

As far as the work hauling the wood in, stacking, banking the stove, splitting kindling, starting fires.
I was sick of that 20 years ago.
(11-05-2017, 08:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

If you mean the "too hot" part I  think you have it backwards. Old people have poor circulation and the warmer the better. Wood stoves are notorious for uneven heating with the temp by the stove being 1000 degrees and it's 60 in the other end of the house

As far as the work hauling the wood in, stacking, banking the stove, splitting kindling, starting fires.

I meant the work part.  The too hot part in the one room is certainly something real, but I'm not bothered by it too much.
(11-06-2017, 07:52 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 08:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

If you mean the "too hot" part I  think you have it backwards. Old people have poor circulation and the warmer the better. Wood stoves are notorious for uneven heating with the temp by the stove being 1000 degrees and it's 60 in the other end of the house

I meant the work part.  The too hot part in the one room is certainly something real, but I'm not bothered by it too much.
I still get to enjoy all of the the things involving a wood stove because I have one in my shop LOL.
And If I had a great big house I would have one and put up with the work involved in keeping it going.

Part of it is enjoyable. Like coming home wet and cold and exhausted and sitting in front of a hot fire for a while.
I still get some of that with my silly but extremely efficient and inexpensive pellet stove.

So far this year I've used almost one 5 dollar bag of pellets.
The last few years, when the weather changes like this, I get SO cold. I used to be fine. Now I take a long time to adjust. Right now, I'm just freezing. My hands are cold, my feet are cold, my nose is cold!
(10-06-2018, 11:58 AM)Juniper Wrote: The last few years, when the weather changes like this, I get SO cold. I used to be fine. Now I take a long time to adjust.  Right now, I'm just freezing.  My hands are cold, my feet are cold, my nose is cold!

So turn the heat on? Maybe your circulation is not as good as it used to be. Mine isn't. I was out in my shop with no heat last night until one am.
I lift weights sometimes to warm up.

We haven't used our heat yet but yesterday my wife baked a cake to warm up the house. The house was kind of cold because I let the dog out at 6 am and just left the door open for a couple hours so I wouldn't have to get up and let her back in Razz
(10-06-2018, 02:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 11:58 AM)Juniper Wrote: The last few years, when the weather changes like this, I get SO cold. I used to be fine. Now I take a long time to adjust.  Right now, I'm just freezing.  My hands are cold, my feet are cold, my nose is cold!

So turn the heat on? Maybe your circulation is not as good as it used to be. Mine isn't. I was out in my shop with no heat last night until one am.

We haven't used our heat yet but yesterday my wife baked a cake to warm up the house. The house was kind of cold because I let the dog out at 6 am and just left the door open for a couple hours so I wouldn't have to get up and let her back in Razz

Well, I'm trying not to. I assuming it is my circulation because I never had this problem before (only the last few years).  Right after posting this, I went and did a little raking in the yard to warm up and that seemed to help.
(10-06-2018, 02:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, I'm trying not to. I assuming it is my circulation because I never had this problem before (only the last few years).  Right after posting this, I went and did a little raking in the yard to warm up and that seemed to help.
I bet it did Smiling  Raking is actually quite a work out. I used to rake leaves for a while when I would first go outside just to get warmed up.
But I bought a gas powered back pack leaf blower about a week ago LOL.
We turned the heat on 2 days ago. But we have a 7 pound baby with no fat on her. She loves to lay on the heater vent. I bought her a sweater too. [Image: 463e385f1863aef9f07b49cf0a0c4ab5.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(10-06-2018, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I bet it did Smiling  Raking is actually quite a work out. I used to rake leaves for a while when I would first go outside just to get warmed up.

I bought a leaf blower...electric, but I can't say I like it much.
(10-06-2018, 06:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I bought a leaf blower...electric, but I can't say I like it much.
 Ihave an electric one also. It beats a rake and I have rocks around my pond and other places and it's impossible to rake the leaves there .
I bought the gas one because it was only 40 bucks and has a lot more power. I think they're worth depends totally on how your house and yard are laid out.
We've had our furnace running twice this season. But just for a couple of hours in morning. We have enough firewood to last until Spring but I think it's more cost effective to run the heater than burn wood at this time of year.
I thought about it this morning. But the house was at 62F which is nothing long sleeves can't take care of.
(10-07-2018, 09:35 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I thought about it this morning. But the house was at 62F which is nothing long sleeves  can't take care of.

Well, it takes a bit more that that for me. When I get this way it's 3 tops, a beanie at all times and little fingerless mitts on my hands so I can still type, and do other things because I actually get quite cold. But for all of that, I'm not a real fan of the way forced air heat feels so I don't like to turn it on.
We turn the central heater set at 72 on once in the morning to take the chill off. Other than that, cooking in the kitchen keeps it comfortable for my household full of girls.  Smiling
Had a couple of fires in the last week.
(10-07-2018, 09:00 AM)GCG Wrote: We've had our furnace running twice this season. But just for a couple of hours in morning. We have enough firewood to last until Spring but I think it's more cost effective to run the heater than burn wood at this time of year.

Yeah depending on what you pay plus I'm sure your furnace probably heats the house up WAY quicker.

I bet you get a deal on firewood? Or do you cut your own?
(10-07-2018, 11:22 AM)Valuesize Wrote: We turn the central heater set at 72 on once in the morning to take the chill off. Other than that, cooking in the kitchen keeps it comfortable for my household full of girls.  Smiling

WE never run any heat at night either unless it's so cold I have to keep the pipes warm.. That's very rare