Absolute Abuse Of Power By A Police Officer
(09-03-2017, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:04 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: Perhaps.  I still think there is a point cops get to where they can't dial it back anymore.  They (the ones pictured in the outrageous videos of cop behavior posted everywhere) seem to be incapable of stopping after a certain point. That's why I made the Robo cop remark.  Because a Robo cop would not be instigated. Emotions and hormones like adrenaline would not be involved.  I think if this crusade against police behavior continues it will become a reality.
Wow are you serious? IMO here's no way in hell a robot could ever replace a cop.

"the ones pictured in the outrageous videos of cop behavior posted everywhere"

Are a TINY fraction of how cops behave. And the more it's proven some cops are assholes the more police departments are striving to train police better and use body cams and tools that are less than lethal.

There are something like 800'000 full time cops so of course some will be "bad" cops.
But a lot of the time they are not bad and not racists. Sometimes they just make mistakes. Sometimes because they are afraid.
And many videos go viral of bad cops and later evidence comes out showing different.

If I'm to0 protective of cops then for everyone like me there are 10 times the amount of people who hate cops period.
Who will instantly see guilt before there is any proof.
This has become the attitude of a lot of our millennials .I see this on Facebook from the kids of my friends. Sad

A tiny fraction....Yes I know that, TV, and I agree with you, but it ends up not mattering in the end.  If municipalities feel it's safer to have AI cops to keep lawsuits and violence down, it might go that way. And I'm not saying I think it's better or worse, just making a prediction.  And it may not be a unilateral substitution. I doubt it would be, but I am willing to bet there is some kind of AI law enforcement on the streets in our lifetimes.
Phase One: Install cameras at traffic lights and issue citations electronically.
 That's a FAR FAR cry from some robot cop going to a domestic disturbance. Or a fight. Or a robbery in progress or a drunk driver. Or nine million other things that a machine will never be able to do.

I don't know....
(09-03-2017, 05:13 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wow are you serious? IMO here's no way in hell a robot could ever replace a cop.

"the ones pictured in the outrageous videos of cop behavior posted everywhere"

Are a TINY fraction of how cops behave. And the more it's proven some cops are assholes the more police departments are striving to train police better and use body cams and tools that are less than lethal.

There are something like 800'000 full time cops so of course some will be "bad" cops.
But a lot of the time they are not bad and not racists. Sometimes they just make mistakes. Sometimes because they are afraid.
And many videos go viral of bad cops and later evidence comes out showing different.

If I'm to0 protective of cops then for everyone like me there are 10 times the amount of people who hate cops period.
Who will instantly see guilt before there is any proof.
This has become the attitude of a lot of our millennials .I see this on Facebook from the kids of my friends. Sad

A tiny fraction....Yes I know that, TV, and I agree with you, but it ends up not mattering in the end.  If municipalities feel it's safer to have AI cops to keep lawsuits and violence down, it might go that way. And I'm not saying I think it's better or worse, just making a prediction.  And it may not be a unilateral substitution. I doubt it would be, but I am willing to bet there is some kind of AI law enforcement on the streets in our lifetimes.
Phase One: Install cameras at traffic lights and issue citations electronically.
 That's a FAR FAR cry from some robot cop going to a domestic disturbance. Or a fight. Or a robbery in progress or a drunk driver. Or nine million other things that a machine will never be able to do.

In short using a camera has absolutely zero to do with using a robot.
So the camera is phase 1 and Robocop is phase 500. And it has everything to do with using a robot. It takes the human factor out and replaces it with a machine.
Sorry your logic does not work for me at all.

Claiming that using a camera is a step toward a robot cop is like me jumping and saying I will learn to fly now that I have made the first step.
(09-03-2017, 05:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:47 PM)Juniper Wrote: A tiny fraction....Yes I know that, TV, and I agree with you, but it ends up not mattering in the end.  If municipalities feel it's safer to have AI cops to keep lawsuits and violence down, it might go that way. And I'm not saying I think it's better or worse, just making a prediction.  And it may not be a unilateral substitution. I doubt it would be, but I am willing to bet there is some kind of AI law enforcement on the streets in our lifetimes.

So the camera is phase 1 and Robocop is phase 500. And it has everything to do with using a robot. It takes the human factor out and replaces it with a machine.

Claiming that using a camera is a step toward a robot cop is like me jumping and saying I will learn to fly now that I have made the first step.

I think it's just saying it's a form of mechanized or programed law enforcement.
(09-03-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:04 PM)GCG Wrote: Phase One: Install cameras at traffic lights and issue citations electronically.

I think it's just saying it's a form of mechanized or programed law enforcement.
Well yes I get that. And I'M just saying that even though it is that doesn't mean it's a step toward a robot cop.

Besides don't you think there are far more likely situation where a robot could actually replace a human?
Like a school teacher Laughing Laughing  Wink I mean Cops have to fight people sometimes, they have to kill people. They have to interrogate people on the spot and determine if they are lying.
There must be dozens of other jobs way more suitable for a robot.
(09-03-2017, 06:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:  That's a FAR FAR cry from some robot cop going to a domestic disturbance. Or a fight. Or a robbery in progress or a drunk driver. Or nine million other things that a machine will never be able to do.

Well yes I get that. And I'M just saying that even though it is that doesn't mean it's a step toward a robot cop.

Besides don't you think there are far more likely situation where a robot could actually replace a human?
Like a school teacher Laughing Laughing  Wink  I mean Cops have to fight people sometimes, they have to kill people. They have to interrogate people on the spot and determine if they are lying.

I don't know if it's a "step".  Maybe it is.  I understand what you mean.  I just think it will happen to a certain degree.
(09-03-2017, 06:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:13 PM)GCG Wrote: So the camera is phase 1 and Robocop is phase 500. And it has everything to do with using a robot. It takes the human factor out and replaces it with a machine.

Like a school teacher Laughing Laughing  Wink  I mean Cops have to fight people sometimes, they have to kill people. They have to interrogate people on the spot and determine if they are lying.

I don't know if it's a "step".  Maybe it is.  I understand what you mean.  I just think it will happen to a certain degree.
I do too. Like the Dubai robo cop. It's basically a walking question answering machine.
(09-03-2017, 06:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: Sorry your logic does not work for me at all.

I do too. Like the Dubai robo cop. It's basically a walking question answering machine.

I wonder though....might they be used in conjunction with real police for crowd or riot control?  Or just in conjunction period for certain situations?   It might just be used as a way to display intimidation and power...possibly the ability to detain or mobile surveillance in a crowd.Technology is growing at a phenomenal rate.
(09-03-2017, 06:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think it's just saying it's a form of mechanized or programed law enforcement.

(No TVguy, I'm not "trying to tell others what to do")

I wonder though....might they be used in conjunction with real police for crowd or riot control?

Or just in conjunction period for certain situations?   It might just be used as a way to display intimidation and power...possibly the ability to detain or mobile surveillance in a crowd.Technology is growing at a phenomenal rate.
They already use robots to enter buildings when there is a standoff. And the police have even used robots like that to kill people.
But a human being is controlling everything it does.

I wonder though....might they be used in conjunction with real police for crowd or riot control?

I'm sure they will some day but still controlled by a human being.
(09-03-2017, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well yes I get that. And I'M just saying that even though it is that doesn't mean it's a step toward a robot cop.

Or just in conjunction period for certain situations?   It might just be used as a way to display intimidation and power...possibly the ability to detain or mobile surveillance in a crowd.Technology is growing at a phenomenal rate.
They already use robots to enter buildings when there is a standoff. And the police have even used robots like that to kill people.

Yeah, I imagine. For now.
(09-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:29 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know if it's a "step".  Maybe it is.  I understand what you mean.  I just think it will happen to a certain degree.

To be honest, I think that mankind will be extinct before we get to "Robocop"... It's one thing to issue a traffic ticket via camera but it's different to shoot a guy. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.  However, I stand by my position that we would, eventually, get to Robocop and the first step would be those damn traffic light cams... I just don't think we have enough time. It's like saying that by going to the moon in 1969 that we stand a chance in hell of moving to another planet before it's too late. Sorry... not gonna happen.
(09-04-2017, 05:35 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: I do too. Like the Dubai robo cop. It's basically a walking question answering machine.

To be honest, I think that mankind will be extinct before we get to "Robocop"... It's one thing to issue a traffic ticket via camera but it's different to shoot a guy. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.  However, I stand by my position that we would, eventually, get to Robocop and the first step would be those damn traffic light cams... I just don't think we have enough time. It's like saying that by going to the moon in 1969 that we stand a chance in hell of moving to another planet before it's too late. Sorry... not gonna happen.
But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

My analogy was better that yours and my dog is bigger too.

Me....Claiming that using a camera is a step toward a robot cop is like me jumping and saying I will learn to fly now that I have made the first step.
(09-03-2017, 06:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: I do too. Like the Dubai robo cop. It's basically a walking question answering machine.

Well, not like the film exactly, but some kind of AI law enforcement. It might look quite different.
(09-04-2017, 06:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:38 PM)Juniper Wrote: (No TVguy, I'm not "trying to tell others what to do")

But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.

Me....Claiming that using a camera is a step toward a robot cop is like me jumping and saying I will learn to fly now that I have made the first step.

Actually, add some wheels or tracks and some software and it would surely blur the lines some. No one here has defined just what would qualify as an AI cop so disagreement is pretty easy.
(09-04-2017, 06:43 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: They already use robots to enter buildings when there is a standoff. And the police have even used robots like that to kill people.

Actually, add some wheels or tracks and some software and it would surely blur the lines some. No one here has defined just what would qualify as an AI cop so disagreement is pretty easy.
Actually Juniper spoke of AI cops replacing real cops because they don't have emotions and can't be instigated.
(09-05-2017, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, I imagine. For now.

Actually Juniper spoke of AI cops replacing real cops because they don't have emotions and can't be instigated.
And I think that's still going to be the case at some point.  It may not be the best thing to happen either.  But there does seem to be an awfully short fuse and very extreme reaction by a minority of law enforcement, but it could mean a change in attitude by administrations to some things.
(09-05-2017, 02:23 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 05:35 PM)GCG Wrote: To be honest, I think that mankind will be extinct before we get to "Robocop"... It's one thing to issue a traffic ticket via camera but it's different to shoot a guy. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.  However, I stand by my position that we would, eventually, get to Robocop and the first step would be those damn traffic light cams... I just don't think we have enough time. It's like saying that by going to the moon in 1969 that we stand a chance in hell of moving to another planet before it's too late. Sorry... not gonna happen.

And I think that's still going to be the case at some point.  It may not be the best thing to happen either.  But there does seem to be an awfully short fuse and very extreme reaction by a minority of law enforcement, but it could mean a change in attitude by administrations to some things.

The awful short fuse issue is just one reason cops make mistakes or over react. IMO body cams should for the most part solve that problem.

And I think that's still going to be the case at some point.

You mean robots..... I just don't see how that's even remotely possible. I know I'm repeating myself but we are a LONG way from a robotic cop who could access danger properly. Or question a suspect. Or use deadly force.
Or any other of many things human beings have to do to be a cop.
(09-05-2017, 04:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 06:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.

The awful short fuse issue is just one reason cops make mistakes or over react. IMO body cams should for the most part solve that problem.

You mean robots..... I just don't see how that's even remotely possible. I know I'm repeating myself but we are a LONG way from a robotic cop who could access danger properly. Or question a suspect. Or use deadly force.
Yeah, you're right. Big Grin
(09-05-2017, 05:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 06:43 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Actually, add some wheels or tracks and some software and it would surely blur the lines some. No one here has defined just what would qualify as an AI cop so disagreement is pretty easy.

Yeah, you're right. Big Grin
See how easy that was? More better to just agree!  Zipped
Would you believe a Catzooga?

(09-04-2017, 06:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: But I'll be damned if I'm going to rejoin this group and start agreeing with tvguy without an argument.

I could imagine a robocop taking over some traffic cop and other duties. Not that I'd welcome it. But you're right, I don't think they'll replace detectives and some other tasks in my lifetime.

Not that it compares directly to this discussion, but I wouldn't have guessed ten years ago that we'd be this close to self driving cars and trucks as we are today.