Thanksgiving 2014
This Thursday is Thanksgiving. I plan on overeating and so do you. I will go my brothers house again this year for the dinner. This is becoming a tradition that I like.

My SIL will bake a Turkey just like God intended for us to do on this holy day of eating. People that prepare ham or prime rib for dinner are going against nature and God.

I will probably buy a berry and pumpkin pie because it's easier and there are some great bakeries out there with very good pies.

My motto for the holiday season is let's eat again real soon. I also plan to keep track of my meals. If I miss any, I plan to make them up later. Smiling

Go ahead and tell us what you are doing for Thanksgiving this year.
(11-23-2014, 09:40 AM)cletus1 Wrote: This Thursday is Thanksgiving. I plan on overeating and so do you. I will go my brothers house again this year for the dinner. This is becoming a tradition that I like.

My SIL will bake a Turkey just like God intended for us to do on this holy day of eating. People that prepare ham or prime rib for dinner are going against nature and God.

I will probably buy a berry and pumpkin pie because it's easier and there are some great bakeries out there with very good pies.

My motto for the holiday season is let's eat again real soon. I also plan to keep track of my meals. If I miss any, I plan to make them up later. Smiling

A berry and pumpkin pie ???? well. ok, guess it's worth a try. Razz

p.s. not sure if I'm doing anything yet.
(11-23-2014, 09:53 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 09:40 AM)cletus1 Wrote: This Thursday is Thanksgiving. I plan on overeating and so do you. I will go my brothers house again this year for the dinner. This is becoming a tradition that I like.

Laughing I don't think it is worth a try. How about a berry pie and a pumpkin pie? Smiling
(11-23-2014, 10:10 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 09:53 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Laughing I don't think it is worth a try. How about a berry pie and a pumpkin pie? Smiling

That's better.
Too bad about that thing where your brother charges you for the dinner. Razz

It's the best holiday of the year. If I have only hot dogs and chips, you can bet I'll be thankful for so many things!

How clever of us to be born in the USA (Thank you Boss Springsteen)! So much better than being born in some western African country that don't have no Dairy Queens's or Dollar Stores.
Here are some things I am thankful for this year.

I have relatively good Heath.
I have enough money to enjoy life.
I get to buy cheaper gas. Thanks Barack.
I have a sister from the south visiting for the week.
My leaf vacuum was repaired in time to suck up leaves before in rains.
I have some pretty good friends.
My family is doing good.
I am smarter than all conservative friends.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving
(11-26-2014, 07:37 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Here are some things I am thankful for this year.

I have relatively good Heath.
I have enough money to enjoy life.
I get to buy cheaper gas. Thanks Barack.
I have a sister from the south visiting for the week.
My leaf vacuum was repaired in time to suck up leaves before in rains.
I have some pretty good friends.
My family is doing good.
I am smarter than all conservative friends.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving

We are blessed!
I too have many things to be thankful for.
I like that we have set aside one day of the year to express our awareness of how blessed we are.
Friday morning I can start pissing and moaning per usual, knowing full well that I've satisfied my obligation to giving thanks. Wink
[Image: BN-FR721_PNS112_FR_20141123133248.jpg]
(11-26-2014, 12:01 PM)Big Rock Wrote: [Image: BN-FR721_PNS112_FR_20141123133248.jpg]

Or burning a witch or two.

We evolve.
To a point.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I hope you all enjoy your holiday.

Go Seahawks.
Because I'm, as usual, a day late and a dollar short, I posted the following on the "Good Morning" topic. I then realized it should have gone here (if anyplace). I hope it's okay that I cut and past it here, where it should have been in the first place.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

We know there are those in our little group who are dealing with things other than absolute pure joy, and we wish you the best hoping this Thanksgiving day offers a respite, if only for a day, from whatever misforurtune has broadsided you.

It's so easy today to fall into clichés : Thankful all around for everything, and all that. Yet clichés start as sincere expressions so I guess there is no reason we can't get back to that original thought.

We come here uninvited, without restriction, without paying a nickel for the privilege, and get to rant and rave at will about whatever is on our minds. How's that for something to be thankful for!

And, as open and unrestricted as this place is many of us have formed bonds of sorts, staying in touch over the years, and sharing little bits and pieces of our lives as well as ranting about our political and social attitudes. It's good to have this connection.

So, on this day of thanksgiving, I am thankful for all the things we traditionally make comments about, but also thankful for the space allowed us here at the 'ol RVF, a touchstone that has become a part of my life I enjoy.

Thank you, All, and I wish you a Thanksgiving day that includes some pleasant company, good food, and some killer desert to top it off.
(11-27-2014, 09:43 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Because I'm, as usual, a day late and a dollar short, I posted the following on the "Good Morning" topic. I then realized it should have gone here (if anyplace). I hope it's okay that I cut and past it here, where it should have been in the first place.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

We know there are those in our little group who are dealing with things other than absolute pure joy, and we wish you the best hoping this Thanksgiving day offers a respite, if only for a day, from whatever misforurtune has broadsided you.

It's so easy today to fall into clichés : Thankful all around for everything, and all that. Yet clichés start as sincere expressions so I guess there is no reason we can't get back to that original thought.

We come here uninvited, without restriction, without paying a nickel for the privilege, and get to rant and rave at will about whatever is on our minds. How's that for something to be thankful for!

And, as open and unrestricted as this place is many of us have formed bonds of sorts, staying in touch over the years, and sharing little bits and pieces of our lives as well as ranting about our political and social attitudes. It's good to have this connection.

So, on this day of thanksgiving, I am thankful for all the things we traditionally make comments about, but also thankful for the space allowed us here at the 'ol RVF, a touchstone that has become a part of my life I enjoy.

Thank you, All, and I wish you a Thanksgiving day that includes some pleasant company, good food, and some killer desert to top it off.

And BeerRazz
I'll be dining with the much maligned orygunlover, his wonderful wife and son, and my oldest son. I made cranberry relish with no sugar, substituting pureed dates, a dash of cinnamon and 1/2 braeburn apple.

More important than the food is the reason for the day, as spoken by the father of our country.

CNSNews.com) – On Oct. 3, 1789 George Washington, the first president of the United States, issued a proclamation to make the fourth Thursday of November as a day for “offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations."

Washington also declared that “it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor.”

Finally, Washington asked Americans to give "our sincere and humble thanks" to God "for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted."

George Washington began his proclamation by stating that God is at the center of thanksgiving and ended it by saying the United States should “promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue.”

Here is that proclamation in full, signed by George Washington in the City of New York:

“Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

“Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

“And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn [sic] kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease [sic] of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.”

Washington served two terms as president before retiring to his beloved farm, Mt. Vernon, in Virginia. He died three years later in 1799 of a throat infection.
(11-27-2014, 01:38 PM)tornado Wrote: I'll be dining with the much maligned orygunlover, his wonderful wife and son, and my oldest son. I made cranberry relish with no sugar, substituting pureed dates, a dash of cinnamon and 1/2 braeburn apple.

Tell OL I said Hi and that now I have a Sig 9 AND an XD9Razz

Hey Tornado . Are you trying to push your religion again? I don't care what George was thinking. I can and am thankful for lots of things and there isn't any God I'm going to thank.Smiling
Were it Christmas I could give you a resounding "Bah Humbug". But since it's just Thanksgiving what would be the phrase I would use?

Lacking the proper rejoinder, let me say Pffffftt!! Or if you prefer it in French Pfffftt!!

Eyebrows
(11-27-2014, 01:54 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Were it Christmas I could give you a resounding "Bah Humbug". But since it's just Thanksgiving what would be the phrase I would use?

Lacking the proper rejoinder, let me say Pffffftt!! Or if you prefer it in French Pfffftt!!

Eyebrows

It would help if I knew who you were responding too.
(11-27-2014, 02:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2014, 01:54 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Were it Christmas I could give you a resounding "Bah Humbug". But since it's just Thanksgiving what would be the phrase I would use?

Eyebrows

The "Thanksgiving 2014" thread.

I think I'm ready for that berry and pumpkin pie now. Doesn't sound too bad after all.
(11-27-2014, 02:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-27-2014, 02:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Eyebrows

The "Thanksgiving 2014" thread.

I think I'm ready for that berry and pumpkin pie now. Doesn't sound too bad after all.

Yes it doesLaughing
(11-27-2014, 01:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2014, 01:38 PM)tornado Wrote: I'll be dining with the much maligned orygunlover, his wonderful wife and son, and my oldest son. I made cranberry relish with no sugar, substituting pureed dates, a dash of cinnamon and 1/2 braeburn apple.

Hey Tornado . Are you trying to push your religion again? I don't care what George was thinking. I can and am thankful for lots of things and there isn't any God I'm going to thank.Smiling
I'm pushing Washington's religion.

I'll be sure to give OL your greetings and update him on your armament. I'm glad you have the stuff to protect you when the Christians take over the government. Smiling
(11-27-2014, 03:11 PM)tornado Wrote:
(11-27-2014, 01:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I'm pushing Washington's religion.

I'll be sure to give OL your greetings and update him on your armament. I'm glad you have the stuff to protect you when the Christians take over the government. Smiling

I forgot to say...
Quote:I made cranberry relish with no sugar, substituting pureed dates, a dash of cinnamon and 1/2 braeburn apple.

That sounds awesome.Smiling
I'm thankful that I have the best parents ever! That I have a brain... and I know how to use it! I'm thankful I picked the right guy all those years ago... and we raised awesome kids who are raising wonderful kiddos. And... that I have the most amazing friends!