Officer Not Indicted in Ferguson
(12-09-2014, 11:05 AM)Big Rock Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 09:59 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: That's why we need cops. We need to take care in selecting them, training them, paying them, and respecting their service.

Your conceit (3a: a fanciful idea) that "we" have such granular control of the ethical behavior and performance of other people is part of the root of your mistaken (in my opinion) assumption that government can solve all of the problems you want to entrust it to solve. Like all human systems, government is made up of petty, incompetent, greedy, unethical, and in some cases dangerously psychotic assholes. That's why LIMITED government is such an important and radical concept. You will vote for people who you assume are trustworthy and then they will become part of a system that they have very little control over. Dangerous people will be hired and put in positions of real power no matter who you vote for or which team you align with. The only hope is to limit their power and limit their budgets. By the way, pretending that group Internet discussions are going to lead to any kind of real solutions to anything is another one of your conceits. In my opinion.

"Like all human systems, government is made up of petty, incompetent, greedy, unethical, and in some cases dangerously psychotic assholes."

Right you are. With that view of the world there is no advantage in exchanging views on this forum or anyplace else.
Conceit indeed: Laughing
(12-09-2014, 11:05 AM)Big Rock Wrote: Like all human systems, government is made up of petty, incompetent, greedy, unethical, and in some cases dangerously psychotic assholes. That's why LIMITED government is such an important and radical concept.

Holy crap are you Mr Negative or what? That's a screwed up assessment and IMO definitely not true.

Who stomped your puppy? Sheesh.
This entire conversation reminded me (loosely) of this video.

Quote:Your local violent criminals work hard, and put their lives on the line every time they attempt to murder, rape, abduct or assault a member of the citizenry.

They desperately need your help.

With your support, there may finally come a day when a violent criminal can have his way with you, or someone you love, without the fear, anxiety and stress caused by knowing there's a possibility his victim might be armed.

Please show your support by voting for stronger anti-gun legislation--

because criminals prefer unarmed citizens.
(12-09-2014, 07:15 PM)Hugo Wrote: This entire conversation reminded me (loosely) of this video.

Quote:Your local violent criminals work hard, and put their lives on the line every time they attempt to murder, rape, abduct or assault a member of the citizenry.

With your support, there may finally come a day when a violent criminal can have his way with you, or someone you love, without the fear, anxiety and stress caused by knowing there's a possibility his victim might be armed.

Not profound. Not funny. Not very interesting.
(12-09-2014, 09:05 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 07:15 PM)Hugo Wrote: This entire conversation reminded me (loosely) of this video.

EXTREMELY accurate assessment on the effects of gun control in this country, given the current climate of ACCEPTANCE of looting and rioting, as a legitimate response of dissent.

When you defend the lawless, and give them legitimacy, you green light criminal behavior. I am just saying that if you combine that with gun control, removing defense weapons from citizens, you WILL create more crime against the innocent. And the criminals will rejoice.

Maybe not interesting to YOU Wonky. Perhaps it is to me. Do you accept my right to think differently than you do?
HappyDryDryDryDryDryHappy
(12-09-2014, 10:31 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 09:05 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

EXTREMELY accurate assessment on the effects of gun control in this country, given the current climate of ACCEPTANCE of looting and rioting, as a legitimate response of dissent.

When you defend the lawless, and give them legitimacy, you green light criminal behavior. I am just saying that if you combine that with gun control, removing defense weapons from citizens, you WILL create more crime against the innocent. And the criminals will rejoice.

Maybe not interesting to YOU Wonky. Perhaps it is to me. Do you accept my right to think differently than you do?

Of course I respect your right and ability to think differently from me!
We disagree about fundamental issues here, and while I agree with you about rioting and lawlessness I really think it's a joke to suggest that everyday citizens should somehow replace the police in dealing with that. Or even augment the police.

And the reason I said it was not very interesting is that this has been debated for so long, often here, that it really fails to gain any serious traction.

But I didn't mean to be offensive, and if that's how it looked I'm sorry.
(12-10-2014, 10:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I really think it's a joke to suggest that everyday citizens should somehow replace the police in dealing with that. Or even augment the police.

I see nothing wrong with everyday citizens augmenting the police. Isn't that what people are doing in Josephine county?
Isn't that what neighborhood watch programs are all about?
The police constantly tell us to keep our eyes and ears open, watch for suspicious activity and so on.
(12-10-2014, 11:17 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 10:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I really think it's a joke to suggest that everyday citizens should somehow replace the police in dealing with that. Or even augment the police.

I see nothing wrong with everyday citizens augmenting the police. Isn't that what people are doing in Josephine county?
The police constantly tell us to keep our eyes and ears open, watch for suspicious activity and so on.

TGv, God help the first guy you see jay-walking when you are armed and on a ride-along! One jay-walker with his knees shot out from under him. And I'm sure you will shoot dead anyone you catch tearing the labels off mattresses. Razz

No. I don't want you out there "helping" the cops. (You wouldn't last anyway cause the cops gets really pissed when folks play with the lights and sirens)
(12-10-2014, 01:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

TGv, God help the first guy you see jay-walking when you are armed and on a ride-along! One jay-walker with his knees shot out from under him.

Don't be ridiculous. I always shoot at center mass. Especially ladies cuz you never know what they might have in their purse.
And black guys with hoodies... I try and get a few shots off BEFORE they get to the street. Same with mesicans and Methodists.
(12-10-2014, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 01:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

TGv, God help the first guy you see jay-walking when you are armed and on a ride-along! One jay-walker with his knees shot out from under him.

Don't be ridiculous. I always shoot at center mass. Especially ladies cuz you never know what they might have in their purse.
And black guys with hoodies... I try and get a few shots off BEFORE they get to the street. Same with mesicans and Methodists.

Seriously Dude, it's just one of the many things I admire about you. You are "Equal Opportunity" down to the bone.
Scares me a little bit however, because I'm a 6th generation hillbilly and I guess that means I'm not safe either.
Come to think about it, maybe the only thing safe from you are dogs. Except Pit Bulls of course...we know the Pit Bull is dead even before the 1st bark.

Any chance you could post a note here when your are going to be out and about? Laughing