For Book Lovers
Curious about "White Trash". 

It's been getting a lot of attention and good reviews. Said to be well written. 

Anyone here read it?
(07-22-2016, 10:08 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Curious about "White Trash". 

Anyone here read it?

No, but there was a sailboat in a marina I frequented at one time named "White Trash" in big bold letters (sprayed on with a rattle can, of course).

oops, did I just change the thread? Wonky HATES that. 

uhmmm, never mind, just go back to what you were sayin'  Embarrassed
(07-22-2016, 10:16 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Anyone here read it?

No, but there was a sailboat in a marina I frequented at one time named "White Trash" in big bold letters (sprayed on with a rattle can, of course).

That was the OLD Wonky.  Big Grin
The NEW Wonky hates nothing. 

But yeah, I do enjoy books! 

Sidebar: Anyone do this (the following): I'm reading "Hamilton", a 800 page thing, and while I find it interesting I get burned out after a bit and take a break to read some "mind candy" and then return to it. Anyone else do this?
(07-22-2016, 10:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Anyone here read it?

Sidebar: Anyone do this (the following): I'm reading "Hamilton", a 800 page thing, and while I find it interesting I get burned out after a bit and take a break to read some "mind candy" and then return to it. Anyone else do this?

I have done that but I didn't really enjoy it as much. I need to read a book end to end, one at a time. Or drop it completely and read something else.
(07-22-2016, 10:06 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 12:06 AM)Juniper Wrote: Well, hell. Only Wonky would reply to anything about reading books. Oh well. So, as I have said before I have books stashed all around.  Car, room, living room, trunk of the car....all about. And usually something I picked up for free.  I just wanted to tell you Wonky that I happened to be reading a Phillipa Gregory book about Katherine of Aragon (Tudor Queen).  I thought it might be a tawdry bodice ripper but was surprised to find it well written and learning scads about Katherine. That was an amazing woman. Her story gets shuttled to the side with the more morbid fascination of Ann Boeyln.  I'm impressed.

Happened on this while going back to our "Book" Topic. Been awhile. 

I always thought I'd get around to reading about the histoy of our English cousins. Somehow never did. My wife reads lots  of this, and enjoys it and feels we are conntected by history and tradition and values it, at least in part, because of that. 

I confess I know nothing of Katherine of Aragon. And, should I start to read the History of the English nobility I don't know where I'd start. 

Maybe Margaret Thatcher?  Laughing

And, should I start to read the History of the English nobility I don't know where I'd start.

Game of thrones. It's all true.
(07-22-2016, 10:24 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Anyone here read it?

I have done that but I didn't really enjoy it as much. I need to read a book end to end, one at a time. Or drop it completely and read something else.

I do it quite often, but not for the reason Wonky cited.  My reason is that I usually have 2-3 books going at a time.  Weird, I know.  I always have one at work for break time, and I have the one on my headboard for insomnia laced bed time, and I sometimes have a third in my... bathroom (I read on the toilet... ).  I tend to keep all the details straight and don't get the books confused, but it takes a lot longer to finish any of them.
(07-22-2016, 11:51 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Anyone here read it?

I do it quite often, but not for the reason Wonky cited.  My reason is that I usually have 2-3 books going at a time.  Weird, I know.  I always have one at work for break time, and I have the one on my headboard for insomnia laced bed time, and I sometimes have a third in my... bathroom (I read on the toilet... ).  I tend to keep all the details straight and don't get the books confused, but it takes a lot longer to finish any of them.

I don't think it's weird. I do the same thing, except the bathroom part and work part, but I do have one in my car, so I could read at work if I wanted to. And sometimes it takes me months to read a book. But I've got one I've been reading for a couple of months and have fit two in during that time. So that's why the first one takes so long.
(07-22-2016, 11:54 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 10:16 AM)Cuzz Wrote: No, but there was a sailboat in a marina I frequented at one time named "White Trash" in big bold letters (sprayed on with a rattle can, of course).

I don't think it's weird. I do the same thing, except the bathroom part and work part, but I do have one in my car, so I could read at work if I wanted to. And sometimes it takes me months to read a book. But I've got one I've been reading for a couple of months and have fit two in during that time. So that's why the first one takes so long.

My impatience may be why I stopped reading books. When I start one I can't stop reading. I don't think I've ever took more than a week to read a book. Sometimes a couple of days.
My father used to send me to the drug store to buy him a paper back. As soon as I brought it home he would read  it and later that day have me return it claiming he didn't want that book and get another. I read the same way extremely fast.

As far as insomnia? I've never had that but when ever I used to read at night I would always stay up too late.So books give me insomnia, in a way.
(07-22-2016, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 10:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: That was the OLD Wonky.  Big Grin

My impatience may be why I stopped reading books. When I start one I can't stop reading. I don't think I've ever took more than a week to read a book. Sometimes a couple of days.
My father used to send me to the drug store to buy him a paper back. As soon as I brought it home he would read  it and later that day have me return it claiming he didn't want that book and get another. I read the same way extremely fast.

As far as insomnia? I've never had that but when ever I used to read at night I would always stay up too late.So books give me insomnia, in a way.

You are fortunate that you read fast. I wish I read faster than I do: I'm not even sure how fast I read. When I read "mind candy" (like, "Girl On The Train") I go through it in a couple of sittings. But that does not say a lot, because if I have one "talent" it's my ability to sit and read for long perioods. I've never actually timed it. I just read "Vinigar Girl", the new Anne Tyler title, and read it one sitting. But, it's only 237 pages. (Fun read) 

And very often when I read serious stuff, I am slow. Too slow. I envy people who can burn through well written history, science, or current affair titles and retain it. I have to slow down or I may as well not have read it at all. I'm reading Alexander Hamilton now, and the detail really bogs me down. So I take breaks. (But I am liking the book a lot) 

Curious TVguy: Have you always been a fast reader, or you think you developed it as you continued to read. (My guess is some people are just "naturally" fast readers...wonder why?)
(07-22-2016, 02:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 10:24 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I have done that but I didn't really enjoy it as much. I need to read a book end to end, one at a time. Or drop it completely and read something else.

You are fortunate that you read fast. I wish I read faster than I do: I'm not even sure how fast I read. When I read "mind candy" (like, "Girl On The Train") I go through it in a couple of sittings. But that does not say a lot, because if I have one "talent" it's my ability to sit and read for long perioods. I've never actually timed it. I just read "Vinigar Girl", the new Anne Tyler title, and read it one sitting. But, it's only 237 pages. (Fun read) 

And very often when I read serious stuff, I am slow. Too slow. I envy people who can burn through well written history, science, or current affair titles and retain it. I have to slow down or I may as well not have read it at all. I'm reading Alexander Hamilton now, and the detail really bogs me down. So I take breaks. (But I am liking the book a lot) 

Curious TVguy: Have you always been a fast reader, or you think you developed it as you continued to read. (My guess is some people are just "naturally" fast readers...wonder why?)

Who said I "retain" anything? I read Old man and the sea. I think it was about a retirement home on the coast? Right?
And "for whom the bell tolls" . Wasn't that was about the hunchback in the bell tower.
I have no idea how long I have or why I read fast. I just remember from way back people in my family saying.. you read that ALREADY?
I've even been quizzed about what happened in what chapter because it was in doubt that I actually read it all. LOL.
(07-22-2016, 03:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 02:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are fortunate that you read fast. I wish I read faster than I do: I'm not even sure how fast I read. When I read "mind candy" (like, "Girl On The Train") I go through it in a couple of sittings. But that does not say a lot, because if I have one "talent" it's my ability to sit and read for long perioods. I've never actually timed it. I just read "Vinigar Girl", the new Anne Tyler title, and read it one sitting. But, it's only 237 pages. (Fun read) 

Who said I "retain" anything? I read Old man and the sea. I think it was about a retirement home on the coast? Right?
And "for whom the bell tolls" . Wasn't that was about the hunchback in the bell tower.
I have no idea how long I have or why I read fast. I just remember from way back people in my family saying.. you read that ALREADY?
I've even been quizzed about what happened in what chapter because it was in doubt that I actually read it all. LOL.

I bet you eat fast and other things too.   Laughing Big Grin
(07-22-2016, 05:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 03:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 02:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are fortunate that you read fast. I wish I read faster than I do: I'm not even sure how fast I read. When I read "mind candy" (like, "Girl On The Train") I go through it in a couple of sittings. But that does not say a lot, because if I have one "talent" it's my ability to sit and read for long perioods. I've never actually timed it. I just read "Vinigar Girl", the new Anne Tyler title, and read it one sitting. But, it's only 237 pages. (Fun read) 

I bet you eat fast and other things too.   Laughing Big Grin

Well this is what I heard...He DON'T drink beer...He pops the tab, tips it up and just POURS it down his throat.  Laughing

About reading: Doesn't seem like such a great advantage if a person reads fast but does not retain it. But...it can have it's upside: My grandson who just graduated from U of O told me he reads VERY fast, is a "quick study" and got good grades. But he confessed that a month later he didn't know squat about the subject. He "learned" only those things that interested him. I think someday he will regret it. 

And what we read (or if) is so subjective. Things are changing and we have YOU TUBE, all kinds of video stuff, documentaries, and even some good stuff on Tee-Vee. Still, I (personally) I will always value books, magazines, and other printed stuff. (You can't believe how excited I was when books were invented! Those darn slate things were heavy!  Wink

PS: I am not THAT old! I was almost 20 years old when the printing press became common use.  Embarrassed