For Book Lovers
(07-18-2015, 11:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 09:43 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Any thoughts about Harper Lee's new book?  
I going to read it. I have some reservations about her reluctance to have it published and the whole hype surrounding it, but I'll read it. Hope you read it first and give us your opinion. 

I'm not sure I will read it. And I'm not convinced Lee is really reluctant or willing or even capable of understanding what is going on.  I've read conflicting things about that.
(07-18-2015, 11:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
I going to read it. I have some reservations about her reluctance to have it published and the whole hype surrounding it, but I'll read it. Hope you read it first and give us your opinion. 

I'm not sure I will read it. And I'm not convinced Lee is really reluctant or willing or even capable of understanding what is going on.  I've read conflicting things about that.
Yes, there are rumors that she has been suffering for dementia for some time. However, she wrote this years ago.. I'll still probably read it. "To Kill A Mockingbird" was such a great read, and maybe this too will be a display of her talent. 
WITH APOLOGIES TO ALL, a note to Cuzz.

Hey Cuzz, you have private messages disabled but wanted to share this with you. 

Thanks for pointing me to "Shantyboat Journal". Sounds like something I'd like. I got sidetracked recently by 'The Oregon Trail" by Rinker Buck. Two brothers buy a wagon and three mules and ride what's left of the Oregon Trail. Really well done! The guy slips in some easy to read history along with the everyday events of their travels from Kansas to Oregon. Next on my list is "Astoria", and then hope to get to Shantyboat. 
(07-18-2015, 11:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yes, there are rumors that she has been suffering for dementia for some time. However, she wrote this years ago.. I'll still probably read it. "To Kill A Mockingbird" was such a great read, and maybe this too will be a display of her talent. 

I'm suspicious nonetheless.  From what I've been able to discern from the subject matter and events, it's hard to believe this is actually her "first" manuscript. It's poignancy and relevance seem to stem from a readers knowledge of having read Mockingbird.  I smell a rat.
(07-18-2015, 11:57 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 11:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'm suspicious nonetheless.  From what I've been able to discern from the subject matter and events, it's hard to believe this is actually her "first" manuscript. It's poignancy and relevance seem to stem from a readers knowledge of having read Mockingbird.  I smell a rat.

Time will tell, and you may be right. Lot's of others share you rat smelling.  Wink
(07-18-2015, 11:50 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: WITH APOLOGIES TO ALL, a note to Cuzz.

Thanks for pointing me to "Shantyboat Journal". Sounds like something I'd like. I got sidetracked recently by 'The Oregon Trail" by Rinker Buck. Two brothers buy a wagon and three mules and ride what's left of the Oregon Trail. Really well done! The guy slips in some easy to read history along with the everyday events of their travels from Kansas to Oregon. Next on my list is "Astoria", and then hope to get to Shantyboat. 

I hope you enjoy it, I did. I bought it in the hardback edition and plan to read it again. My memory isn't the best, or even average at times, so I can read a book multiple times and enjoy it equally each time. Saves me a fortune in book buying!   Big Grin
(07-18-2015, 01:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I hope you enjoy it, I did. I bought it in the hardback edition and plan to read it again. My memory isn't the best, or even average at times, so I can read a book multiple times and enjoy it equally each time. Saves me a fortune in book buying!   Big Grin

Do you remember the beginning when you reach the end? OK I guess you can rewind a book anyway. But you can't fast foreword.
Wait a tic... Yes you can. I've done it. If a book is too slow I used to skip ahead a few chapters and see if it was EVER going somewhere Razz
(07-18-2015, 06:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 01:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Do you remember the beginning when you reach the end? OK I guess you can rewind a book anyway. But you can't fast foreword.
Wait a tic... Yes you can. I've done it. If a book is too slow I used to skip ahead a few chapters and see if it was EVER going somewhere Razz
That can be a book killer. Jump past where the "butler did it" and you will be confused forever. Oh wait...we alway find the butler did it in the last chapter. Never mind. (I swear, if I ever get rich, I'll live WITHOUT a butler. Murderin' SOBs!)
Now you've gone and insulted
Alfred. Batman is po'ed
I flipped thru a People magazine this morning. LOL
I read a trashy romance book last night Big Grin I'm not a critical thinker so I'll pass on People magazine but you go girl! Big Grin

(07-19-2015, 10:13 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I flipped thru a People magazine this morning.  LOL
I didn't know there still was a People magazine.
I learned today, that Stieg Larsson's characters Blomquist and Salander have been resurrected with a new writer in book 4 of the Millenium series.  Thinking of Salander's character in some other authors hand is a bit jarring to me. Not sure if I will read it.
(09-13-2015, 10:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I learned today, that Stieg Larsson's characters Blomquist and Salander have been resurrected with a new writer in book 4 of the Millenium series.  Thinking of Salander's character in some other authors hand is a bit jarring to me. Not sure if I will read it.

I started "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" and got about 75 pages into it and lost interest. Everybody else I know (including Mrs. Wonky) thought it was a great read and continued with the series. I wonder who did the translation? (Too lazy to Google it). But Tia, if you enjoyed the series, why not give it a shot. Many times (or at least some times) writers who pickup the "format" do good work. Tom Clancy's books are now being written by someone else ....I think his editor. 
(09-14-2015, 05:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-13-2015, 10:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I learned today, that Stieg Larsson's characters Blomquist and Salander have been resurrected with a new writer in book 4 of the Millenium series.  Thinking of Salander's character in some other authors hand is a bit jarring to me. Not sure if I will read it.

I started "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" and got about 75 pages into it and lost interest. Everybody else I know (including Mrs. Wonky) thought it was a great read and continued with the series. I wonder who did the translation? (Too lazy to Google it). But Tia, if you enjoyed the series, why not give it a shot. Many times (or at least some times) writers who pickup the "format" do good work. Tom Clancy's books are now being written by someone else ....I think his editor. 

Oh, I may.    I have a feeling that you didn't finish the story, because you were reading it as a story and little else.  As a story, it is average. It's signature character is what captured me and I suspect many who love these books. Without that character, the story would have been just a mystery/detective story and not much more.  Not a genre I am super attracted to. For me it was character driven. So electric, so compelling that if the girl is not on the page you're just chewing your cheek waiting for her to arrive on the seen. Larsson did something very interesting with his feminist theme and character, making her simultaneously a victim and avenger/crusader and vulnerable misfit that she is irresistible. So, this writer will have to do one thing over anything else to attract my interest. Channel Lisbeth flawlessly.
(09-14-2015, 07:54 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 05:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Oh, I may.    I have a feeling that you didn't finish the story, because you were reading it as a story and little else.  As a story, it is average. It's signature character is what captured me and I suspect many who love these books. Without that character, the story would have been just a mystery/detective story and not much more.  Not a genre I am super attracted to. For me it was character driven. So electric, so compelling that if the girl is not on the page you're just chewing your cheek waiting for her to arrive on the seen. Larsson did something very interesting with his feminist theme and character, making her simultaneously a victim and avenger/crusader and vulnerable misfit that she is irresistible. So, this writer will have to do one thing over anything else to attract my interest. Channel Lisbeth flawlessly.
Thanks for that. I "may" give it another look because I think I WAS seeing it mainly as a plot. Now that you mention it Mrs. Wonky said about the same thing as you, that Lisberth was central to the story and without her character it would be just another mystery plot. First, I think I want to read "The Wright Brothers", but may come back to this. 
Well, hell. Only Wonky would reply to anything about reading books. Oh well. So, as I have said before I have books stashed all around.  Car, room, living room, trunk of the car....all about. And usually something I picked up for free.  I just wanted to tell you Wonky that I happened to be reading a Phillipa Gregory book about Katherine of Aragon (Tudor Queen).  I thought it might be a tawdry bodice ripper but was surprised to find it well written and learning scads about Katherine. That was an amazing woman. Her story gets shuttled to the side with the more morbid fascination of Ann Boeyln.  I'm impressed.
Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected and Better At What You Do. Wallace J. Nichols, Back Bay Books 2014.

Came across a reference to this book, which must win the longest subtitle award. I think I'll read it, if I can find it in the library. You didn't think I'd actually spend money on it did you??   Razz
(02-14-2016, 06:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected and Better At What You Do. Wallace J. Nichols, Back Bay Books 2014.

Came across a reference to this book, which must win the longest subtitle award. I think I'll read it, if I can find it in the library. You didn't think I'd actually spend money on it did you??   Razz

Kind of wonder "what science"? Seem to be a SINGLE REPORT of Wallace J. Nichols. No peer reviews. 

But, could be great...what do I know. I'm just a bit curios about suprising "science". 

I guess the trick is to try it an see.
(01-26-2016, 12:06 AM)Juniper Wrote: Well, hell. Only Wonky would reply to anything about reading books. Oh well. So, as I have said before I have books stashed all around.  Car, room, living room, trunk of the car....all about. And usually something I picked up for free.  I just wanted to tell you Wonky that I happened to be reading a Phillipa Gregory book about Katherine of Aragon (Tudor Queen).  I thought it might be a tawdry bodice ripper but was surprised to find it well written and learning scads about Katherine. That was an amazing woman. Her story gets shuttled to the side with the more morbid fascination of Ann Boeyln.  I'm impressed.

Happened on this while going back to our "Book" Topic. Been awhile. 

I always thought I'd get around to reading about the histoy of our English cousins. Somehow never did. My wife reads lots  of this, and enjoys it and feels we are conntected by history and tradition and values it, at least in part, because of that. 

I confess I know nothing of Katherine of Aragon. And, should I start to read the History of the English nobility I don't know where I'd start. 

Maybe Margaret Thatcher?  Laughing