Winter Solstice 2014
Its been winter for 2 days now. It sure doesn't feel wintery with the mild temperatures, but I know that will change. Anyway, here is a nice photo and some information about the winter Solstice. Smiling

Winter Solstice 2014: What is it – and why are mornings still getting darker?
EMMA FINAMORE Sunday 21 December 2014

[Image: Winter-sunset-1024x768.jpg&w=1484]

What is it?

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year. It occurs when the sun's daily maximum height in the sky is at its lowest, and the North Pole is tilted furthest away from the sun. This results in the least number of daylight hours and the longest night of the year.

The Solstice is celebrated by druids and pagans as the ‘re-birth’ of the sun for the New Year. In the UK, thousands gather each year to mark the occasion at Stonehenge in Somerset.

When is it?

The Winter Solstice occurs in December in the Northern Hemisphere, and in June in the Southern Hemisphere.

The date itself is not fixed: the phenomenon doesn't always occur on 21 December in the Northern Hemisphere. Sometimes it arrives in the early hours of 22 December, which will happen next year. The hour also fluctuates: last year's Solstice arrived at 17:11, whereas next year's is predicted to be at 04:38.

Why will mornings still get darker after the Solstice?

A solar day is rarely 24 hours exactly. The sun therefore lags behind the clock for part of the year, and speeds ahead of it for another.

The length of a solar day varies because the axis of the Earth's rotation is tilted - 23.5 degrees from vertical - and because its speed fluctuates as it orbits the sun, accelerating when it is closer to the star's gravitational pull and decelerating when further away.

It takes a while for the clock and the solar days to align: evenings draw in towards their earliest sunset a couple of weeks before the shortest day, and mornings continue to get darker until a couple of weeks after.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...38160.html
It's good that the days will get longer, OK I mean the dayLIGHT.
I think from now on we gain one minute of light every day.

It beats me why but I can work and do things in the summer until 9 or even 10 oclock.
But in the winter at 6 PM I'm tired? just because it's dark?
The sunlight must recharge my batteries or something.
(12-23-2014, 09:40 AM)tvguy Wrote: It's good that the days will get longer, OK I mean the dayLIGHT.

It beats me why but I can work and do things in the summer until 9 or even 10 oclock.

Me too. My bed starts calling me around 7:30 PM, but I resist until at least 8:30 PM. Maybe that has something to do with why I get up so early.
(12-23-2014, 09:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 09:40 AM)tvguy Wrote: It's good that the days will get longer, OK I mean the dayLIGHT.

Me too. My bed starts calling me around 7:30 PM, but I resist until at least 8:30 PM. Maybe that has something to do with why I get up so early.

Dear God! No wonder you are always tired. Staying up until 8:30PM even once in a while will sap the very sap right outta of your bark, so to speak. I haven't been up that late since the day the Japs surrendered.

And remember to nap! Very important the napping thing.

Another hint: Don't take your stool softener with vodka. A little wine maybe, but never vodka.

The 6:00 news, some prune juice, maybe listen to some Doris Day and try to make it though the night with only 14 trips to the bathroom.

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.
(12-23-2014, 07:29 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Dear God! No wonder you are always tired. Staying up until 8:30PM even once in a while will sap the very sap right outta of your bark, so to speak. I haven't been up that late since the day the Japs surrendered.

Another hint: Don't take your stool softener with vodka. A little wine maybe, but never vodka.

The 6:00 news, some prune juice, maybe listen to some Doris Day and try to make it though the night with only 14 trips to the bathroom.

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.

Wonk, I don't do prune juice; I do All Bran cereal. So I got that end covered.

However, I cannot nap because it takes me way to long to fall asleep, no kidding.

When you see late night posts from me, it is because I could not beat the 7:30 call from my bed, went to sleep and woke up later that night and thats the truth. Smiling
Somebody surrendered?
(12-23-2014, 08:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Somebody surrendered?

We all surrender in the end Cuzz, we all do.

As Clete suggests, there is no such thing as too much fiber. And yes, the "i went to bed at 8:00 and here I am posting at 1:00Am is all to common to some of us.

But, it ain't all bad. It's only another adjustment, like dealing with all that those hormones when they kicked in, or the midlife crises when we realized we were not going to become _____(fill in the blank), or suddenly becoming aware that things are starting to sag.

"Passages" someone called it.

The trick it to accept these things with as much grace as is possible.

Pass the prune juice.

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.

the Japs
Razz
(12-23-2014, 07:47 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.

However, I cannot nap because it takes me way to long to fall asleep, no kidding.

When you see late night posts from me, it is because I could not beat the 7:30 call from my bed, went to sleep and woke up later that night and thats the truth. Smiling

A nap at about 2:00 in the afternoon is great when I can. I learned that trick when I was working in the hot summers and I would get off a little early.

Soon I was hoping to get off early longing for my couch, the dogRazz and that air conditioning.
I could always sleep just about when ever. I actually learned to sleep standing up when I was in the army.Big Grin

But even when I do have a chance for some reason lately I can never sleep very long because the phone rings.
But that's OK because it should be a short nap anyway so you CAN sleep at night.
(12-24-2014, 09:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.

A nap at about 2:00 in the afternoon is great when I can. I learned that trick when I was working in the hot summers and I would get off a little early.

Soon I was hoping to get off early longing for my couch, the dogRazz and that air conditioning.
I could always sleep just about when ever. I actually learned to sleep standing up when I was in the army.Big Grin

But even when I do have a chance for some reason lately I can never sleep very long because the phone rings.
But that's OK because it should be a short nap anyway so you CAN sleep at night.

See that Clete?
TVg giving me grief for using the word "Jap".
Hey, in the summer of 1945 it was fine and dandy. I know: I was there.
I think his real problem is lack of fiber and too few naps.

But it's the eve of Christmas, my sprints are bright and I'm feeling good will toward all men. And Women. And gays and cross dressers and, ....well you know.

So each day gets a little longer Clete, just as you predicted. You some kind of scientist or something? Next thing you know it will be August and we will be pissing and moaning about the long hot dog days of summer.

Merry Christmas. 'Tis the season, and this agnostic atheist heathen is not going to get all bogged down in trivial definitions. Merry Christmas works for me, wishing everyone all the best.
Quote: Wonky...TVg giving me grief for using the word "Jap".

I guess you don't know the history.

When I used the term "Jap" instead of Japanese I was called a bigot and was given crap over it for ever. From a certain forum Member.
To me it was an abbreviation. Probably you too, right?
(12-24-2014, 10:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:

When I used the term "Jap" instead of Japanese I was called a bigot and was given crap over it for ever. From a certain forum Member.

NO.
See, I'm pure of heart and when I use the word it's in context and perfectly okay because I'm special.
When you use it, it only proves you are mean sprinted, bigoted, out of touch, and want to shoot people.

Clear? LaughingLaughingLaughing
(12-24-2014, 10:22 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

NO.
See, I'm pure of heart and when I use the word it's in context and perfectly okay because I'm special.
When you use it, it only proves you are mean sprinted, bigoted, out of touch, and want to shoot people.

Quote:it only proves you are mean sprinted, bigoted, out of touch, and want to shoot people.

I'm NOT out of touchRazz
(12-24-2014, 10:50 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 10:22 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

NO.

Quote:it only proves you are mean sprinted, bigoted, out of touch, and want to shoot people.

I'm NOT out of touchRazz

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Proving one again you have been "enlightened".
Who was the philosopher who said "know thy self"?
You nailed it. Big Grin
(12-24-2014, 09:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Hey it could be worse.

It will be.

Last night was a perfect example of my weird sleeping habits. I went to sleep early, woke up around 2:00 am, did some stuff on the computer including posting here a bit then went back to bed at 6:00 am, then got up at 9:30.

I think I am going to have to deal with this sleep issue like I did with my cars maintenance light. The mechanic that I use said he could not change the computer programming to make the light come on after 6000 miles had elapsed, so I got another oil change when the light told me to even though it was not needed. Can you follow that? Now when it comes on I really do need an oil change. That means I plan to stay up late till 11:00 PM to break the cycle. Smiling

See ya later, I got to go buy a tea pot.

Merry Christmas everyone.