Ponder This
Does anyone know the details of Ponder This's death? I used to be his girlfriend but cannot travel to Oregon. His house is off grid.
(12-24-2014, 02:44 PM)cafe-o-lait Wrote: Does anyone know the details of Ponder This's death? I used to be his girlfriend but cannot travel to Oregon. His house is off grid.

Have you contacted his family? Yes I know they did not speak, but they would know more than anyone here would. Check your PM's.
This thread makes me ill.
(12-25-2014, 08:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote: This thread makes me ill.

Curious: Posted Christmas morning.

I'm guess the person who posted this may have a specific reason for asking. Maybe nothing morbid about it. For instance, if he may have passed due to the worst case of clap every recorded this person just MIGHT want to know about it. Embarrassed
(12-28-2014, 05:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'm guess the person who posted this may have a specific reason for asking. Maybe nothing morbid about it. For instance, if he may have passed due to the worst case of clap every recorded this person just MIGHT want to know about it. Embarrassed

I was curious also, but afraid to ask.
(12-28-2014, 06:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Okay,.
Seriously.
Very seriously...
I "Heard" that he got "caught in the bite of the line" in a construction accident involving some heavy machinery.
If that's not a fact I'm sure someone here can correct it.

I miss Ponders posts.
We often locked horns, but he was at this site a long time and became a part of "RVF family" and was an interesting guy.

A sad loss.
(12-28-2014, 06:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Okay,.
Seriously.
Very seriously...
I "Heard" that he got "caught in the bite of the line" in a construction accident involving some heavy machinery.

I miss Ponders posts.
We often locked horns, but he was at this site a long time and became a part of "RVF family" and was an interesting guy.

A sad loss.

What does caught in the bite of a line mean? Reminds me of the grass mower on his tractor. Sometimes it would get caught in twine or hoses. But word is he was in a chair for 4 hours. So that is a contradiction. Yes, for sure I am feeling very sad now. He had such big dreams and plans, even though he was older. I always wanted to take him onto my property where he could retire with comfort. He loved his home, his dream. I know he's in heaven now. And I feel soo soo sad for his dog Oscar.
(12-28-2014, 06:32 PM)cafe-o-lait Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 06:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Okay,.
Seriously.
Very seriously...

I miss Ponders posts.

A sad loss.

What does caught in the bite of a line mean? Reminds me of the grass mower on his tractor. Sometimes it would get caught in twine or hoses. But word is he was in a chair for 4 hours. So that is a contradiction. Yes, for sure I am feeling very sad now. He had such big dreams and plans, even though he was older. I always wanted to take him onto my property where he could retire with comfort. He loved his home, his dream. I know he's in heaven now. And I feel soo soo sad for his dog Oscar.

With absolutely no disrespect intended, heaven? Really? Don't you actually have to believe in it first? That's what I heard, anyway.
This isn't the other person who was on here a while back tearing the forum up in the name of ponder, is it?
BTW, I googled "caught in the bite of the line" and got nothing. What is that phrase? Not a common one.
(12-28-2014, 06:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote: BTW, I googled "caught in the bite of the line" and got nothing. What is that phrase? Not a common one.

It refers to a situation of getting caught in a loop of a slack line (rope) and sudden tension on the line catches you and drags you into a dangerous predicament. Like, a crewmember on a fishing boat "getting caught in the bight of a line" and getting dragged overboard and underwater.
(12-28-2014, 06:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: This isn't the other person who was on here a while back tearing the forum up in the name of ponder, is it?

NO.
(12-28-2014, 07:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 06:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote: BTW, I googled "caught in the bite of the line" and got nothing. What is that phrase? Not a common one.

It refers to a situation of getting caught in a loop of a slack line (rope) and sudden tension on the line catches you and drags you into a dangerous predicament. Like, a crewmember on a fishing boat "getting caught in the bight of a line" and getting dragged overboard and underwater.

For what it's worth. (Not much)
I grew up in a logging family here in Oregon. Logs are removed from the woods in a couple of ways, but it almost always included some kind of machine pulling like hell using a steel cable. Sometimes the cable breaks, under extreme tension of course, and when that happens it whips around like an angry snake. It can literally cut a man in half. Loggers call it being "in the bight of the line".

From what I heard Ponder was not literally "caught in the bite of the line" but lost his life to an unfortunate encounter with some kind of heavy machinery.
(12-29-2014, 08:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I grew up in a logging family here in Oregon. Logs are removed from the woods in a couple of ways, but it almost always included some kind of machine pulling like hell using a steel cable. Sometimes the cable breaks, under extreme tension of course, and when that happens it whips around like an angry snake. It can literally cut a man in half. Loggers call it being "in the bight of the line".

From what I heard Ponder was not literally "caught in the bite of the line" but lost his life to an unfortunate encounter with some kind of heavy machinery.
Ponder always told me when I was driving the tractor that I should never pull a heavy load from behind because it will make the front end to a wheely and go upside down killing the driver. He said to pull everything from the front of the tractor. Thus going backwards. He mentioned this to me because there was a house for sale down away from his where this very tragic thing happened to the owner.

The meaning of this phrase has expanded over time. Your logging example is one indication. I believe it's now used too as a safety warning in some industries. As in, "Don't get caught in the bight", meaning to keep situational awareness and don't let yourself get unexpectedly caught in a dangerous situation.

Sorry for the diversion, now back to the real thread. I have no knowledge of Ponders accident but I am sorry it happened.
(12-29-2014, 07:15 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

The meaning of this phrase has expanded over time. Your logging example is one indication. I believe it's now used too as a safety warning in some industries. As in, "Don't get caught in the bight", meaning to keep situational awareness and don't let yourself get unexpectedly caught in a dangerous situation.

Sorry for the diversion, now back to the real thread. I have no knowledge of Ponders accident but I am sorry it happened.

As long as we've strayed from the subjectRazz. I was a logger on cable yarder crew at one time.
I heard more than once to watch out for flying cables that could cut a man in half.
It's a myth. I saw it on mythbusters, after all I am TV guySmiling

They took a hog's dead carcass and they tried EVERTHING to simulate an accident that would cut the pig in half and they couldn't do it.
No doubt a cable at high speed can and does kill people. But about the only way it could cut you in half would be if a loop or half hitch somehow got around your body and then was pulled with a lot of force.
But then I guess that IS being "in the bite" but not like being struck by a cable whipping around.
(12-24-2014, 02:44 PM)cafe-o-lait Wrote: Does anyone know the details of Ponder This's death? I used to be his girlfriend but cannot travel to Oregon. His house is off grid.

Off the grid? He had electricity and the internet.

His obituary was in the Medford mail tribune. But it didn't give any details about the accident. The Obituary was Pmed to me and I don't think I should post it here.
I tried to find who said what But from all I've heard he was injured from a tractor or something rolling on him.
Apparently he didn't realize his injury was as serious as it was.

He had some radical opinions about some things but I know he was a very kind and giving person and it's too bad and very sad to see anyone suddenly pass.
I believe that it came from the old sailing ships. I don't have google prof but I was in the Coast Guard and that saying was used a lot. Not only used for line(rope) but also cable and chaine
(12-30-2014, 09:19 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote: I believe that it came from the old sailing ships. I don't have google prof but I was in the Coast Guard and that saying was used a lot. Not only used for line(rope) but also cable and chaine

I bet you are right. It makes sense, there must have been a lot of sailors who were injured by ropes.
If you have ever watched The "deadliest catch"? I've seen guys injured on that show and apparently there has been more than one guy pulled overboard by a 1000 pound crab pot when they got caught in "the bite" of the line.