This thread is for the birds.Watching,feeding, photography
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Because I drugged the little guy, shaved his chest feathers and tattooed himRazz

Actually only one Towhee shows up every year, in the winter. He has a mate too. So I figure it must be the same one.

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.
Of course I tore down damn near everything and burned it all winter long.

Then in the spring I started noticing the damn birds. There were a few who seemed to be not afraid of me and would hang around VERY close to me.
Being a sharp guy and all after a few months it dawned on me one day.
That guy made pets out of them and these birds and all thought I was himBig Grin
I have lots of mosquitoes on my property located on a creek, next to a swamp. I also have lots of Oregon Ash trees with tree swallow holes in them. The swallows thrive on mosquito larvae and adults.

What you destroyed was habitat for mosquito eaters. You can build cheap boxes which are the best size for swallows, but will also be shared by western bluebirds, another insect eater.

It sounds like you have nice property.
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

I think birds stay in their territories. I have a blue jay that I'm convinced is the same blue jay every year. No reason to think it other than I'm sure it is. I think they stake out territories fairly easily. Although it's funny, I have my bird feeders. If I put out average bird food, I get a few birds. But if I put out bird crack (special mix from the grange) I get like twenty birds at a time. So, where did they come from and where were they when they were being finicky and not wanting to eat the average bird feed?
(12-30-2014, 03:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I think birds stay in their territories. I have a blue jay that I'm convinced is the same blue jay every year. No reason to think it other than I'm sure it is. I think they stake out territories fairly easily. Although it's funny, I have my bird feeders. If I put out average bird food, I get a few birds. But if I put out bird crack (special mix from the grange) I get like twenty birds at a time. So, where did they come from and where were they when they were being finicky and not wanting to eat the average bird feed?
Even though I can't see the jay of which you speak, it could be only one of two jay family members, which are members of the crow family, which are very territorial.

The most prolific blue colored jay in the Rogue Valley is the scrub jay. The scrub jays are found in very few places other than southern Oregon. Southern Cal. and Florida are two other locations you'll find them.
Here is one.
[Image: scrub%2Bjay.jpg]
Another Oregon jay is the stellar's.
[Image: c7f2c64abf9a9e9e93026b2d6c0dc02d.jpg]

Here is the common blue jay, found only east of the Rockies.
[Image: th?id=HN.608022856759968835&pid=1.7]

Kind of like trick-or-treaters maybe.
(12-30-2014, 06:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Kind of like trick-or-treaters maybe.

sometimes I think that birds notice other birds. Because when I have lots of birds at my feeders, lots of other types seem to show up who are just around but not at the feeders. Like they see the party and have to stop and check it out.
(12-30-2014, 04:56 PM)tornado Wrote:

Even though I can't see the jay of which you speak, it could be only one of two jay family members, which are members of the crow family, which are very territorial.

The most prolific blue colored jay in the Rogue Valley is the scrub jay. The scrub jays are found in very few places other than southern Oregon. Southern Cal. and Florida are two other locations you'll find them.
Here is one.

Oh, it was a scrub. I never see the Stellars in Medford. I know they are related to crows. Did you know there is such a thing as a gray jay?

[Image: gray_jay.jpg]
(12-30-2014, 07:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, it was a scrub. I never see the Stellars in Medford. I know they are related to crows. Did you know there is such a thing as a gray jay?

I used to see these (or a bird that looks like these) on Mt Hood all the time. We called them Camp Robbers and they would literally eat food offered right out of your hand. They were fast, not lingering in your hand but still it was kind of cool.
I don't use a camera.

Yesterday there was a California Condor feeding in my back yard. He (guess it was a he...how do you tell) had to chase the duck bill platapus away from the feeder.

Actually I do have a camera. Just hard to get film for it.
(12-30-2014, 07:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Here is one.

Oh, it was a scrub. I never see the Stellars in Medford. I know they are related to crows. Did you know there is such a thing as a gray jay?

Nope. I didn't know there was a Grey jaySmiling.

It's kind of funny how many people call our scrub Jays "blue Jays. I like to confuse then and tell them.. Yes thay are indeed a jay and they are blue. But they aren't a "blue Jay"Laughing
It's obvious to people who grew up back east because that's where Blue jays live.....

[Image: blue-jay-wallpaper-4-705988.jpg]

As far as the stellar's jay I usually see them in the mountains although I have a friend right on the Rogue in Rogue river who feeds one peanuts. I need to go over their with my camera because he has a lot of entirely different birds than I do where I live.
(12-31-2014, 12:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 07:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Here is one.

Nope. I didn't know there was a Grey jaySmiling.

It's kind of funny how many people call our scrub Jays "blue Jays. I like to confuse then and tell them.. Yes thay are indeed a jay and they are blue. But they aren't a "blue Jay"Laughing
It's obvious to people who grew up back east because that's where Blue jays live.....

[Image: blue-jay-wallpaper-4-705988.jpg]

As far as the stellar's jay I usually see them in the mountains although I have a friend right on the Rogue in Rogue river who feeds one peanuts. I need to go over their with my camera because he has a lot of entirely different birds than I do where I live.

Ashland mostly has Stellar Jays. And not being from back east, I'll have to settle for what I get out west.
(12-31-2014, 02:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: And not being from back east, I'll have to settle for what I get out west.

Doesn't that go without saying?
Thanks TVG, and all who have posted these great photos.

A real pleasure to see them!
(12-31-2014, 05:09 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks TVG, and all who have posted these great photos.

A real pleasure to see them!

Hey. you said earlier that the MMT photos were not as good. So I thought maybe they would be in on their internet site. I thought they could post higer res pics.

They don't. The pictures while being awesome really lack in resolution.

The photos ( some) are probably very good until the MMT dumbs them down for their paper or the online version.
(12-31-2014, 03:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 02:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: And not being from back east, I'll have to settle for what I get out west.

Just standing up for the lowly scrub jay. Though I'd love to see that little eastern blue jay.
(12-31-2014, 07:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Just standing up for the lowly scrub jay. Though I'd love to see that little eastern blue jay.

My neighbor hated scrub jays.They are obnoxious and loud. Plus they are aggressive and steal eggs. I like them a lotBig Grin They fit in to the grand scheme.
The Stellars Jays are much the same up in the forest. If you camp out drink 58 beers and the thing wakes you up at 5 am you WILL want to kill themWink
(12-31-2014, 07:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 07:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

My neighbor hated scrub jays.They are obnoxious and loud. Plus they are aggressive and steal eggs. I like them a lotBig Grin They fit in to the grand scheme.
The Stellars Jays are much the same up in the forest. If you camp out drink 58 beers and the thing wakes you up at 5 am you WILL want to kill themWink

They seem to be universally hated. They do raid nests and eat the eggs or even the babies. They land at my feeder and the entire flock (or charm as it is for finches) flees. It rules the feeder alone. They are smart. They are loud. I too like them. Not sure what that says for me or you.
Sort of a bird equivalent of TV. Always screeching. Got it.
(01-01-2015, 08:49 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Sort of a bird equivalent of TV. Always screeching. Got it.

And so goes our hopes for a more tolerant friendly New Year.

It's about birds, photos of birds, and if there is one Topic where we should be able to keep the peace this should be it.

Barbie, I'm going to guess you are still dealing with health issues and I can understand how that might effect your attitude. I hope you recover fully, and that your life in general is good, and filled with optimistic events. Because, otherwise your comment here would simply suggest you are an unpleasant person.

Back to all things birds.
Pointing out unpleasant folks makes me unpleasant? Cool. Does your wife read your scolding and admonishments and shake her head? I would imagine she's grateful for the time you waste on here, as that means you can't be telling her how to behave at the same time. Has my disease caused me to be less tolerant of sanctimonious assholes? No doubt. I have no one to please or be true to except myself.
Happy New Years.
(01-01-2015, 09:07 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 08:49 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Sort of a bird equivalent of TV. Always screeching. Got it.

And so goes our hopes for a more tolerant friendly New Year.

It's about birds, photos of birds, and if there is one Topic where we should be able to keep the peace this should be it.

Barbie, I'm going to guess you are still dealing with health issues and I can understand how that might effect your attitude. I hope you recover fully, and that your life in general is good, and filled with optimistic events. Because, otherwise your comment here would simply suggest you are an unpleasant person.

Back to all things birds.

Oh, dear. For once I agree. Let's not start out picking at each other.