This thread is for the birds.Watching,feeding, photography
(01-03-2015, 09:42 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 10:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.
Of course I tore down damn near everything and burned it all winter long.

You're a MONSTER!!

Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.
By back lot has a low area. It's actually a vernal pool and may have fairy shrimp. I've never really checked.
Anyway I planted poplars all along most of the 200 foot fence line. Thy grew like crazy and now for some reason the mourning doves live there.Big Grin
There are up to 30 of them that hang around.

I plan on building bat houses and planting milk weed for the Monarchs. I get the Swallowtails here also. I need to see what will attract them.

My friend just puts up swallow houses(a lot of them) around his property and he says that will attract them. Just face the houses to the East. If you have water that's even better because they like mosquitoes. Swallows keep the flying bug population down. If that is what you mean by Swallowtails

No this is what I meant , this is a swallowtail

[Image: Swallowtail_butterfly_2.JPG]

I did build one swallow house and it usually gets taken over by sparrows. But I made a house out of a gourd tied to a stick and the damned swallows loved itConfused

I have tree swallows. The photo's I posted in post # 4 were taken at my place.
I didn't know the houses were supposed to face to the east.
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.

You're a MONSTER!!

Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.
By back lot has a low area. It's actually a vernal pool and may have fairy shrimp. I've never really checked.
Anyway I planted poplars all along most of the 200 foot fence line. Thy grew like crazy and now for some reason the mourning doves live there.Big Grin

I plan on building bat houses and planting milk weed for the Monarchs. I get the Swallowtails here also. I need to see what will attract them.

My friend just puts up swallow houses(a lot of them) around his property and he says that will attract them. Just face the houses to the East. If you have water that's even better because they like mosquitoes. Swallows keep the flying bug population down. If that is what you mean by Swallowtails

Why East? So the houses don't get too warm?
(01-03-2015, 02:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz

You're a MONSTER!!

Beats me, maybe it's that fung swhay bullshit Razz speil Chuck was no helpRazz
(01-03-2015, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 10:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote: You're a MONSTER!!

Well, if that's how you roll, be carefull with how you place the mirrors in the little bird houses.Razz
(01-03-2015, 03:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote: Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.

Well, if that's how you roll, be carefull with how you place the mirrors in the little bird houses.Razz

Face them in any direction. Mine are situated with the hole facing NNW because it is the best orientation for viewing from my office.
My redneck bird house complete with a deck. Laughing

Yes I have officially became a Geezer who makes bird housesLaughing Walking sticks too and I've made some tables from pallets. I actually sold a couple too.

[Image: 2cgfnma.jpg]
(01-04-2015, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: My redneck bird house complete with a deck. Laughing

Yes I have officially became a Geezer who makes bird housesLaughing Walking sticks too and I've made some tables from pallets. I actually sold a couple too.

Okay, now listen.
Make birdhouse when you are NOT stoned. Laughing
LOL

What he said!
DER, if I wasn't stoned why the heck would I be building bird houses?Razz
(01-04-2015, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: My redneck bird house complete with a deck. Laughing

What the.........?Blink
(01-04-2015, 09:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

What the.........?Blink

Well phooey on you guys, I bet the redneck birds will like it. Plus it's environmentally friendly. The only thing store bought were the nails.
(01-05-2015, 11:15 AM)tvguy Wrote:

What the.........?Blink

Well phooey on you guys, I bet the redneck birds will like it. Plus it's environmentally friendly. The only thing store bought were the nails.

I'm positive the birds will love it.
(01-05-2015, 06:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

What the.........?Blink

Changing up the ridgeline is all the rage in housing now. I think it'll sell quick!
(01-05-2015, 06:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

What the.........?Blink

Changing up the ridgeline is all the rage in housing now. I think it'll sell quick!

Yep! (I'm sending you a PM) LaughingLaughingLaughingRazz

What the.........?Blink

I agree with Tia...the birds will love it. Hey, shelter is shelter.
And I think Cuzz is onto something: A new style all about form and function. I think you should just keep toking up and hammering away. You could get rich.
And be real happy while the money pours in. Big Grin
(01-05-2015, 11:21 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 09:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote: What the.........?Blink

And I think Cuzz is onto something: A new style all about form and function. I think you should just keep toking up and hammering away. You could get rich.

I never had any intention of selling bird houses.I just don't think there would be any profit.
People normally build "cute" bird houses. I hate "cute" stuff Razz Or they build really elaborate ones that no one would pay near what it cost to build.
I would be happy to give them awaySmiling

I made one with a bark roof and my wife pointed out how it wouldn't work and she pointed to a small crack in the roof where rain could enter.

It made me chuckle. Hello... birds build nests with no roof at all and do just fineRazz
(01-04-2015, 09:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote: What the.........?Blink

Overall, it is not a good design: the platform will allow birds like scrub jays the opportunity to stand outside the hole, stick their head inside and eat the contents, eggs and baby birds.
(01-06-2015, 11:49 AM)tornado Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 11:15 AM)tvguy Wrote: Well phooey on you guys, I bet the redneck birds will like it. Plus it's environmentally friendly. The only thing store bought were the nails.

Overall, it is not a good design: the platform will allow birds like scrub jays the opportunity to stand outside the hole, stick their head inside and eat the contents, eggs and baby birds.

Yeah I know, You are exactly right. Well according to what I've read anyway. I built the deck just for fun.
On the other hand if you look at many bird nests you will see plenty that have no defense and nothing stopping aggressive birds from stealing eggs or babies.

Besides this house is a hollowed out cedar log and a bird would have to have an awfully long neck to be able to reach through that hole and get to eggs or baby birds.Smiling

But normally I don't put a perch next to the entrance.
Laughing I did a search for redneck bird houses.

[Image: birdhouse_budlight.jpg]

[Image: Make-your-own-Birdhouse.jpg]

[Image: 248049891945880220wn1kWMjVb.jpg]

I love the bird feeder.....

[Image: GardenJunk003.jpg]
(01-06-2015, 12:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: Laughing I did a search for redneck bird houses.

[Image: birdhouse_budlight.jpg]

[Image: Make-your-own-Birdhouse.jpg]

[Image: 248049891945880220wn1kWMjVb.jpg]

I love the bird feeder.....

[Image: GardenJunk003.jpg]

Well hells bells, that don't make no sense.
That tool is used to pull dents out of pickup truck doors and such and wouldn't be worth a nickel if full of bird crap.