This thread is for the birds.Watching,feeding, photography
(01-07-2015, 02:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well hells bells, that don't make no sense.
That tool is used to pull dents out of pickup truck doors and such and wouldn't be worth a nickel if full of bird crap.

I have the real tool you describe and out of a total of one hundred and 39 dents in cars and trucks I've had.
It has worked for me a total of Zero timesRazz
(01-07-2015, 03:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-07-2015, 02:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well hells bells, that don't make no sense.
That tool is used to pull dents out of pickup truck doors and such and wouldn't be worth a nickel if full of bird crap.

I have the real tool you describe and out of a total of one hundred and 39 dents in cars and trucks I've had.
It has worked for me a total of Zero timesRazz

Yeah I know. The telling thing is that you still tried it 139 times. Me too. Embarrassed
I guess I need to buy some bird seed. All I have are sparrowsSad

[Image: 24mfcqe.jpg]
[Image: sg3dab.jpg]
My Towhee is still hanging around.

[Image: aziiht.jpg]
(01-24-2015, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: I guess I need to buy some bird seed. All I have are sparrowsSad

YEAH! 'Cause I like your photos!Big Grin
(01-24-2015, 09:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: I guess I need to buy some bird seed. All I have are sparrowsSad

ThanksSmiling
I bought chic scratch, I think that's what it's called. It's just corn but it's really cheap at the grange compared to regular bird food.
But I don't thin it attracts as many different birds so I'll just have to get some good stuff.
(01-24-2015, 09:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 09:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

ThanksSmiling
I bought chic scratch, I think that's what it's called. It's just corn but it's really cheap at the grange compared to regular bird food.
But I don't thin it attracts as many different birds so I'll just have to get some good stuff.

Well, the finches are pretty finicky. I only get a small spectrum of birds where I am. About 3 or 4 different kinds of finches. Juncos, sparrows, mourning doves, scrub jays and an occasional Scrub Jay. I think the Scrub Jays must be pretty territorial with each Jay staking out it's own area, because I only seem to have one or two or those. I imagine a lot of other birds just eat something other than seeds. I wonder what I will get if I set out those dried meal worms I see at the grange?
This guy was sitting in a tree about 100 yards admiring all of the birds at my feeder when I started taking pictures of him.
He didn't like it and took off screaming. I'm not sure what kind of hawk this is but He's big and bad that's for sure. My neighbor saw him try and kill a squirrel.

[Image: e0oaxh.jpg]

I took these as he flew off....

[Image: 2ue4d3n.jpg]
(01-24-2015, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: My Towhee is still hanging around.

Earlier in this thread I called it a "rufous-sided Towee" I am not even sure how I came about the info, that is just what I have always called them as far back as I can remember, Anyway the following was a little snip-it that was in the Courier the other day, sounds as though the Towee species out here in the west is up for debate, go figure....

Birdwatcher Walt Sonner snapped this spotted towhee
(Pipilo maculatus) on a “very cold morning” recently.
Ornithologists continue to debate this bird with most
considering all West Coast towhees to be spotted
towhees, while Oregon’s especially bright orange
towhees are held by many to be a special subspecies,
the Oregon towhee. Most western towhees are
“rufous-sided,” meaning they have rust-colored
sides. They like life close to the ground, even nesting
just a few feet up in dense cover. A member of the
sparrow family, they are small, but bright.

This is the photo taken by the birdwatcher mentioned above.
[Image: news02.jpg]
(01-26-2015, 01:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: This guy was sitting in a tree about 100 yards admiring all of the birds at my feeder when I started taking pictures of him.
He didn't like it and took off screaming. I'm not sure what kind of hawk this is but He's big and bad that's for sure. My neighbor saw him try and kill a squirrel.

My daughter the ornithologist in the family says it's a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. Keep in mind she is 13. Smiling
(01-26-2015, 04:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 01:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: This guy was sitting in a tree about 100 yards admiring all of the birds at my feeder when I started taking pictures of him.

My daughter the ornithologist in the family says it's a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. Keep in mind she is 13. Smiling

It could be. A lot of birds look different until they are fully grown.Too bad you can't see anything for comparison but I think this one is pretty big to be a juvenile.

I looked at Oregon hawk google images for a while and I gave upSmiling

I forgot about this picture it might help put the hawk in perspective.

[Image: 21n4qau.jpg]
OK, these birds have got me. Or the grange does. Picky little *****!
(01-27-2015, 10:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, these birds have got me. Or the grange does. Picky little *****!

PUI?
(01-28-2015, 10:01 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, these birds have got me. Or the grange does. Picky little *****!

PUI?

No...why?Unsure
(01-28-2015, 10:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

PUI?

No...why?Unsure

Because your normal enigma wrapped in a puzzle shrouded in mystery comment is more mysterious than usual. Razz In other words..say what? I got nothinSad
Hey look what I can do!

[Image: 2ewccvk.jpg]
(01-28-2015, 11:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 10:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

PUI?

No...why?Unsure

Because your normal enigma wrapped in a puzzle shrouded in mystery comment is more mysterious than usual. Razz In other words..say what? I got nothinSad

So, what you're saying is that I've exceeded my own standards!Smiling
(01-28-2015, 11:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey look what I can do!

You sure that bird is not stuck on a wad of chewing gum?
(01-29-2015, 10:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 11:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey look what I can do!

You sure that bird is not stuck on a wad of chewing gum?

Yes I'm positive that bird is not stuck on a wad of chewing gum.

I used a staple gunRazz