This thread is for the birds.Watching,feeding, photography
I don't know a lot about birds other that many are beautiful and that I like to feed them and photograph them.
I didn't feed them much last summer but lately I've been feeding them a lot of our food scraps.
I can't believe how fast my birds can eat. I would say they can finish off a half a loaf of bread in 30 minutes.
I feed then leftover eggs, toast, ham, stuffing. You name it.

I used to have tons of pics but my PC crashed and I lost most of them.
(12-28-2014, 12:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know a lot about birds other that many are beautiful and that I like to feed them and photograph them.
I didn't feed them much last summer but lately I've been feeding them a lot of our food scraps.
I can't believe how fast my birds can eat. I would say they can finish off a half a loaf of bread in 30 minutes.

Too bad you lost your pictures. They were lovely and I liked looking at them.
(12-28-2014, 12:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 12:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know a lot about birds other that many are beautiful and that I like to feed them and photograph them.

I still have some that I had posted on a Tumbler site. What really sucks is that somehow both my photo bucket accounts are GONE.
I don't understand how or why but they are.

This guy has been coming to my place every year....

[Image: 5kploy.jpg]
And these guys come in the spring...

[Image: uy3qs.jpg]

[Image: f2k4zc.jpg]
Beautiful. I'm learning to identify birds. I don't get the variety of the rural areas. Urban birds in my area seem limited. The top one looks like a black headed grosbeak and the lower one a swallow, neither of which I see.
(12-28-2014, 12:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I still have some that I had posted on a Tumbler site. What really sucks is that somehow both my photo bucket accounts are GONE.

That's one of my favorite birds, mainly because I like to say "rufous sided towhee"
I enjoy the photos posted here. Not a photographer myself, I appreciate the talent it takes to frame a good picture.

I think it curious that almost all the pictures posted here are far better than the photos published in the Mail Tribune section for photos.

Keep 'em coming please.
(12-29-2014, 07:55 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 12:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's one of my favorite birds, mainly because I like to say "rufous sided towhee"

It sounds like a good insultRazz I just googled Towhee and found a "spotted Towhee" that looks just like this one.
The problem with that is you don't really know if what you found is always accurate. But for sure it is a Towhee.
Here is a before and after shot of an unlucky starlingRazz

[Image: 2ey7sbs.jpg]

[Image: e9vyps.jpg]
I've seen this bird couple of times but only briefly and flying very low and fast. Today I was lucky enough to have my camera.
But he came by very fast, again very low. I took 5 pictures , I posted them in the order I took them He stopped on a fence post for a second and I got one pic there.
The rest were of him flying. The pics aren't too good. I wasn't ready for a speeding bird and the light was bad. but after looking at then I think this bird is an Osprey. Nothing new at all around here, I close to the Rogue River and they come over by my place to hunt the fields.

[Image: dbmc09.jpg]

[Image: erizns.jpg]

[Image: anznfa.jpg]

[Image: 28cm5wy.jpg]

[Image: 28mjmrl.jpg]
In Lincoln City on Christmas morning... he was playing in the wind outside our room for quite awhile.
[Image: 95a206388bf71877301e583d99bcab78.jpg]
You take good pictures tvguy. I really like the shots of the marsh hawk. What was your location?
(12-29-2014, 06:11 PM)Scrapper Wrote: In Lincoln City on Christmas morning... he was playing in the wind outside our room for quite awhile.

Nice. Those gulls are very fun to watch, so graceful when they fly. Once the wife and I were at Pelican bay and who woulds thunk it, there were Pelicans all over the place. Hundreds. They are awesome to watch also.
BTW we were at a resort, not the prisonRazz
(12-29-2014, 06:14 PM)tornado Wrote: You take good pictures tvguy. I really like the shots of the marsh hawk. What was your location?

Thanks. I was in my back 40. My 300 mm lens made my neighbors junky crap look closer than it isSmiling But then my back lot is junky also.
You know what they say... One mans junk is another mans junkRazz
I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Because I drugged the little guy, shaved his chest feathers and tattooed himRazz

Actually only one Towhee shows up every year, in the winter. He has a mate too. So I figure it must be the same one.

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.
Of course I tore down damn near everything and burned it all winter long.

Then in the spring I started noticing the damn birds. There were a few who seemed to be not afraid of me and would hang around VERY close to me.
Being a sharp guy and all after a few months it dawned on me one day.
That guy made pets out of them and these birds and all thought I was himBig Grin
How did they taste?
Quote:‘It tastes like liquorice,’ the girl said and put the glass down.
‘That’s the way with everything.’
‘Yes,’ said the girl. ‘Everything tastes of liquorice.'
http://hudsoncress.net/hudsoncress.org/h...0Women.pdf
(12-30-2014, 01:59 PM)Big Rock Wrote:
Quote:‘It tastes like liquorice,’ the girl said and put the glass down.
‘That’s the way with everything.’
‘Yes,’ said the girl. ‘Everything tastes of liquorice.'
http://hudsoncress.net/hudsoncress.org/h...0Women.pdf

Quoting Hemingway yet! Your reputation here is going to slide into that of a pointy headed intellectual. Then it will be farewell to your arms.

...and I took the Topic off the tracks. Thing is, I thought it was for the birds.
(12-29-2014, 06:11 PM)Scrapper Wrote: In Lincoln City on Christmas morning... he was playing in the wind outside our room for quite awhile.
I'll never forget the day I spent at the beach in Crescent City. Standing on the shore, I watched a gull at water's edge, swallow an entire star fish. I thought the poor thing would surely choke to death. To my surprise, within thirty minutes the only evidence remaining was a huge bulge in the gulls neck. Evidently, this is what they do as often as possible.