A black James Bond and Rush Limbaugh is having none of it.
So, this newsbite says that Sony is considering Idris Elba (who I really like) as the new James Bond. Rush Limbaugh has come out against it. While the initial idea kind of gave me a momentary shock, I know Idris Elba would be awesome for the role. I know longer think of Bond as an individual. If he were he must have some miracle anti aging drug. When looking at it like that and just as a franchise I have no problem with it. What do others think?

Rush Limbaugh and his 'black Bond' outrage
Anthony Zurcher By Anthony Zurcher Editor, Echo Chambers
Actor Idris Elba. Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond, despite Rush Limbaugh's misgivings?
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Idris Elba 'should be' next Bond
Idris Elba responds to Bond rumours
Sony Pictures computer system hacked

The prospect of Idris Elba eventually replacing Daniel Craig as the next James Bond went from hypothetical internet speculation to something more substantial last week, when the Daily Beast uncovered an interesting nugget in the piles of hacked Sony emails.

"Idris should be the next Bond," Sony Pictures chair Amy Pascal wrote, reportedly to a fellow studio executive.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

We had 50 years of white Bonds because Bond is white”

Rush Limbaugh Conservative commentator

That was enough to set conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh into a tizzy. Bond, he said on his radio programme last week, has a distinct ethnic profile that Mr Elba, who is black, doesn't fit.

"He was white and Scottish, period. That is who James Bond is," Limbaugh said, adding: "I know it's racist to probably even point this out."

"But the franchise needs to get with it, right?" he continued. "The franchise needs to get hip. The franchise needs to get with the 21st Century. That's right. We had 50 years of white Bonds because Bond is white. Bond was never black."

Limbaugh said that casting Mr Elba as Bond would be equivalent to having George Clooney play Barack Obama or Kelsey Grammar in the role of Nelson Mandela (although he acknowledged the difference between actual people and fictional characters).http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30594460
If Daddy Warbucks little girl can be black, I see no reason James can't be too. So, no, I don't think it's going to matter.
If it makes Rush explode, then I am all for it.
(12-30-2014, 08:43 PM)bbqboy Wrote: If it makes Rush explode, then I am all for it.

LaughingThat's funny. I mentioned it to someone today: "How would you feel about a black James Bond?" Answer: "Hell NO!" I said: "Yeah, that's what Rush says too." Which produced the answer, "Well, in that case, a black James Bond is not so bad. Yeah, I can see that."
Don't they always have a white guy play Jesus?
Well, strictly speaking, if Rush wants to put a point on it, the only Scotsman ever to play bond was Connery.
Does the new guy have a British accent? That would be my only requirement.
(12-30-2014, 11:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Does the new guy have a British accent? That would be my only requirement.

He does. He's from London, England. Fine actor.
When I read the title of the thread I thought.. why not have a black Bond and it's typical Rush BS.
But after reading what he said I see why he doesn't see a black Bond as being very realistic.

Limbaugh said that casting Mr Elba as Bond would be equivalent to having George Clooney play Barack Obama or Kelsey Grammar in the role of Nelson Mandela

I wouldn't go quite that far but I see his point and I don't think it's that far off based on the Bonds of the past .. that era.
But I think a NEW Bond could be black and believable.
(12-30-2014, 11:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Don't they always have a white guy play Jesus?

Was there ever anything to indicate he was not white? Pretty sure he wasn't from Africa.
(12-31-2014, 12:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: When I read the title of the thread I thought.. why not have a black Bond and it's typical Rush BS.
But after reading what he said I see why he doesn't see a black Bond as being very realistic.

Limbaugh said that casting Mr Elba as Bond would be equivalent to having George Clooney play Barack Obama or Kelsey Grammar in the role of Nelson Mandela

I wouldn't go quite that far but I see his point and I don't think it's that far off based on the Bonds of the past .. that era.

You mean Kelsey Grammar isn't black? Laughing
If they can have a black James West, why not a black Bond?
(12-31-2014, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 11:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Don't they always have a white guy play Jesus?

Was there ever anything to indicate he was not white? Pretty sure he wasn't from Africa.

He was half Jewish. (on his mother's side)
(12-31-2014, 12:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: When I read the title of the thread I thought.. why not have a black Bond and it's typical Rush BS.

I don't agree. If we look at Bond as a franchise it doesn't matter who plays Bond. Because if you want to say the actor is playing Bond as written, that's not even legitimate anymore, as it was written in a different era. If we say it has to be Bond as written then it's not that far of a stretch to say it should be written as it was written in the era it was written. But the truth is, there could be a black Scotsman who could be an agent. That's all that's required for the franchise. I think you are correct in saying it's just the usual Rush BS.
(12-31-2014, 01:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Thing is, if his mother was Jewish he IS a Jew! (According to Jewish tradition)
(12-31-2014, 05:14 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Duh It wuz Adam, as in "Adam and Eve" who's mother wuz Jewish... They ate the Kosher apple and started warin clothes. Jeeze dont U never reed nothin but Hardy boys?
On the topic of other great literary or film characters, I'd have no issue with a black Sherlock Holmes.
(12-31-2014, 05:14 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

True. I also have it on good authority that Spider-Man was White.
(12-31-2014, 08:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote: On the topic of other great literary or film characters, I'd have no issue with a black Sherlock Holmes.

Sure I suppose if it's some whimsical fictional film but it would be totally inaccurate historically.
And yes I know Sherlock is a fictional Character but a black Holmes from that era wouldn't really work IMO.