A black James Bond and Rush Limbaugh is having none of it.
Laughing
(01-03-2015, 09:54 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 09:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 11:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 11:02 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This does nudge at some interesting themes.

So what if George Clooney was cast as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a film of the civil rights leaders life?

But it isn't the same. MLK is based on his race. His race is a crucial part of the story. Not so with Bond, Annie, Sherlock, or any other variety of stories. Jesus, yes, but not the version followed today, so removed from it's roots as it were. I think you could easily have a person portray Buddha who was not Indian or, God forbid I say it....Mohamed. It wouldn't really matter unless you were trying to portray it in true historical context. Could a black man play....Abraham Lincoln? Not without diluting the story beyond recognition. But the truth is, a black person can be Scottish nowadays.

Good points, all.
The real joke here is we have allowed Rush Limbaugh to set the narrative. Laughing

Did we? I thought I was just doing my thing and Rush did what he always did and vomits all over my day.

Laughing That too.
(01-03-2015, 09:57 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 12:16 AM)tvguy Wrote: I just hope he doesn't refer to Moneypenny as "my bitch" Razz

OK, that's racial stereotyping.

Of course it is.
What's next? A white Shaft? Pretty sure Ian Flemming intended Bond to be a white Englishman. I'm a traditionalist. Cast the character as the author intended. If not then they will not see my money spent at the box office.
(01-04-2015, 10:00 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: What's next? A white Shaft? Pretty sure Ian Flemming intended Bond to be a white Englishman. I'm a traditionalist. Cast the character as the author intended. If not then they will not see my money spent at the box office.

So did they see your money at the last release of 007?
(01-04-2015, 10:00 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: What's next? A white Shaft? Pretty sure Ian Flemming intended Bond to be a white Englishman. I'm a traditionalist. Cast the character as the author intended. If not then they will not see my money spent at the box office.

All the characters we have mentioned were meant to be white. But being white had nothing to do with moving the story.
The real James Bond was bottled in bond. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_in_bond
Maybe we could have a woman James Bond next.
(01-04-2015, 05:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: Maybe we could have a woman James Bond next.

Well OK as long as she isn't quite as hairy as Sean Connery.
(01-04-2015, 01:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

All the characters we have mentioned were meant to be white. But being white had nothing to do with moving the story.

Annie as we all know and expect is a little white gal with red hair. They recently cast her as a black girl in the latest redo of the movie. Now are some are screaming racism because Target is using a white girl with red hair in the latest advertising for an Annie clothing line. The haters are demanding that she be black. Not kidding.

[Image: annie.jpg]
Maybe Ted Turner can colorize the older Bond movies.
Am I the only ones who sees the resemblance?

[Image: 9fprat.jpg]

[Image: MAD-Magazine-Alfred-E-Neuman-Norman-Mingo.jpg]
(01-04-2015, 05:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: Maybe we could have a woman James Bond next.

Why not?
(01-04-2015, 09:20 PM)tvguy Wrote: Am I the only ones who sees the resemblance?

Yep. There is definitely a resemblance.

[Image: 0.jpg]

Smiling
(01-04-2015, 10:04 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 09:20 PM)tvguy Wrote: Am I the only ones who sees the resemblance?

Yep. There is definitely a resemblance.

[Image: 0.jpg]

Smiling

Works.

I think it's fine if a person can't see it or feel it. Then just say so. I'm sure I would have trouble with ....say......a black frodo baggins!Big Grin
Some one suggested George Clooney to act as Barack Hussein Obama in, The Life and Times of Americas' First Half Black President.
(01-05-2015, 07:34 PM)tornado Wrote: Some one suggested George Clooney to act as Barack Hussein Obama in, The Life and Times of Americas' First Half Black President.

What? You would paint half of his face "black"?

As you well know, in our culture anyone with one black parent is considered black. Kinda like if your mother is Jewish you are a Jew. Well, maybe NOT like that, but you know...
(01-05-2015, 08:49 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 07:34 PM)tornado Wrote: Some one suggested George Clooney to act as Barack Hussein Obama in, The Life and Times of Americas' First Half Black President.

As you well know, in our culture anyone with one black parent is considered black. Kinda like if your mother is Jewish you are a Jew. Well, maybe NOT like that, but you know...
Judaism is a religion, you know. Perhaps the movie would have more appeal if the title changed to "first half white". And no, I don't consider mulatto as black, not even close. Look at a color chart some time. Anyway, I don't suppose you'd have a problem with Clooney in the role of Obama, now would ya?
(01-05-2015, 09:40 PM)tornado Wrote:

Judaism is a religion, you know. Perhaps the movie would have more appeal if the title changed to "first half white". And no, I don't consider mulatto as black, not even close. Look at a color chart some time. Anyway, I don't suppose you'd have a problem with Clooney in the role of Obama, now would ya?

Of course I know Judaism is a religion. Wasn't born yesterday. Or last night.
Seldom hear people identified as mulatto these days. Kind of a civil war word. It's generally accepted he is the first black president.
Clooney in the role of Mr. Obama? Never gonna happen. Goofy thought.
(01-05-2015, 11:11 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 09:40 PM)tornado Wrote:

Of course I know Judaism is a religion. Wasn't born yesterday. Or last night.
Seldom hear people identified as mulatto these days. Kind of a civil war word. It's generally accepted he is the first black president.
Clooney in the role of Mr. Obama? Never gonna happen. Goofy thought.
Actually, Bill Clinton was the first black president. http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/clinton/morrison.html
Toni Morrison
Clinton as the first black president
New Yorker, October 1998

African-American men seemed to understand it right away. Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black President. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas. And when virtually all the African-American Clinton appointees began, one by one, to disappear, when the President's body, his privacy, his unpoliced sexuality became the focus of the persecution, when he was metaphorically seized and bodysearched, who could gainsay these black men who knew whereof they spoke? The message was clear "No matter how smart you are, how hard you work, how much coin you earn for us, we will put you in your place or put you out of the place you have somehow, albeit with our permission, achieved. You will be fired from your job, sent away in disgrace, and--who knows?--maybe sentenced and jailed to boot. In short, unless you do as we say (i.e., assimilate at once), your expletives belong to us."
It is hilarious that you feel compelled to inform us of recent history that we all lived through.