The Massacre of 12 French Writers
(01-16-2015, 06:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know about hate speech laws. I was just going on the fact that I don't remember anyone being jailed for something they said that was anything similar to what the French writers were saying.
Or for that matter I don't know of anyone in jail for just saying anything.

Along with that I do know people have been going around advocating for others to kill cops.
And that some people like to harass people at funerals who lost a loved one by yelling God hates fags and things like that.

And none of them are in the slammerSmiling

Proving that hate speech is protected by an amendment to our constitution, and upheld by the courts.
And also proving that very often social behavior can be the lowest common denominator. I'm very grateful to live in a county that allows free speech and not so pleased that so many of our citizens take advantage of the law to demean good people. Your examples above are good ones. Let's agree that just because we can say fuck you often, we don't really have to exercise that right of free speech in order to make a point.
(01-16-2015, 09:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 06:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know about hate speech laws. I was just going on the fact that I don't remember anyone being jailed for something they said that was anything similar to what the French writers were saying.

Along with that I do know people have been going around advocating for others to kill cops.
And that some people like to harass people at funerals who lost a loved one by yelling God hates fags and things like that.

Proving that hate speech is protected by an amendment to our constitution, and upheld by the courts.
And also proving that very often social behavior can be the lowest common denominator. I'm very grateful to live in a county that allows free speech and not so pleased that so many of our citizens take advantage of the law to demean good people. Your examples above are good ones. Let's agree that just because we can say fuck you often, we don't really have to exercise that right of free speech in order to make a point.

But the day THEY say we CAN'T, is the day YOU win. I guess.

I hope you never win.

If we do agree on that point will you stop the constant harping about it? I mean seriously, you act as if saying fuck you is most horrible and biggest evil of all time.
You even brought it up saying it was similar to terrorist murders.

You brought it up here on this thread TWICE now. Holy Crap Wonky I think by now everyone knows what you think about it.
(01-16-2015, 09:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

If we do agree on that point will you stop the constant harping about it? I mean seriously, you act as if saying fuck you is most horrible and biggest evil of all time.

You brought it up here on this thread TWICE now. Holy Crap Wonky I think by now everyone knows what you think about it.

Well TVg, if you feel the need to include lot's of "fuck you's" here, you are of course free to do just that. And Ill continue to make comments about it. You can even post photo's or your ugly wrinkled naked butt here. Isn't free speech great?
Free speech running amok in the land of the free and the home of the brave...
Finding the lowest common denominator.
(01-17-2015, 03:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well TVg, if you feel the need to include lot's of "fuck you's" here, you are of course free to do just that. And Ill continue to make comments about it. You can even post photo's or your ugly wrinkled naked butt here. Isn't free speech great?

I've never once said I need to include lot's of "fuck you's" here. And I don't As a matter of fact NO ONE says it that often.
But if and when I feel like saying fuck you I certainly will and I'm pretty damn sure the same is true for many others.

Who the fuck are you anyway? The forum GOD of all that is holy and good?

You are the only one crying about what YOU think are lots of Fuck you's here.
You are the boards Nanny slash hall monitor

And THIS is EVERY BIT as insulting as someone saying FUCK YOU.. finding the lowest common denominator..

Lowest common denominator my ass. I said a long time ago that your posts were given out like you were speaking from the back of a train. I'm sick of your lecture , giving a speech style and your never ending we must strive posts.

My wife read one of your posts and asked me if you thought you were Moses.You must really think you are.
Fuck you Wonky,.... you earned that.
Basically, "hate speech" is a political concept, not a legal one in this country. There are no laws that restrict any kind of speech or expression, as far as I know. Attempts to legally restrict any kind of speech or expression (including hateful speech) have always been rejected by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional. There might be an attempt to change that at some point in the future. If there is, it would be controversial. There would be extreme resistance to any kind of restriction on any kind of speech or expression, and the resistance would be across the political spectrum. Restricting speech or expression that is deemed "hateful" might seem like a good idea to some people; however, empowering any kind of government bureaucracy with determining and enforcing what speech or expression is or isn't "hateful" is fundamentally in conflict with the spirit and letter of the constitution. It would be a very difficult legal battle to win, and I don't think it would be worth the effort.
(01-17-2015, 04:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 03:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I've never once said I need to include lot's of "fuck you's" here. And I don't As a matter of fact NO ONE says it that often.
But if and when I feel like saying fuck you I certainly will and I'm pretty damn sure the same is true for many others.

Who the fuck are you anyway? The forum GOD of all that is holy and good?

You are the only one crying about what YOU think are lots of Fuck you's here.
You are the boards Nanny slash hall monitor

And THIS is EVERY BIT as insulting as someone saying FUCK YOU.. finding the lowest common denominator..

Lowest common denominator my ass. I said a long time ago that your posts were given out like you were speaking from the back of a train. I'm sick of your lecture , giving a speech style and your never ending we must strive posts.

My wife read one of your posts and asked me if you thought you were Moses.You must really think you are.
Fuck you Wonky,.... you earned that.

Whatever...
(01-17-2015, 06:26 PM)Big Rock Wrote: Basically, "hate speech" is a political concept, not a legal one in this country. There are no laws that restrict any kind of speech or expression, as far as I know. Attempts to legally restrict any kind of speech or expression (including hateful speech) have always been rejected by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional. There might be an attempt to change that at some point in the future. If there is, it would be controversial. There would be extreme resistance to any kind of restriction on any kind of speech or expression, and the resistance would be across the political spectrum. Restricting speech or expression that is deemed "hateful" might seem like a good idea to some people; however, empowering any kind of government bureaucracy with determining and enforcing what speech or expression is or isn't "hateful" is fundamentally in conflict with the spirit and letter of the constitution. It would be a very difficult legal battle to win, and I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Yeah, boy I was wrong about this! I thought it was a law.
I think (don't really know) that if you say something like "I hate your ____ass am I might shoot you someday" it may be hate speech against the law. But I don't know really.
I wonder if a guy can be fined for Love Speech? You know, like "hey baby, ya wanna come up and get naked and listen to my Elvis records?" Embarrassed
Lenny Bruce is turning in his grave.
(01-19-2015, 04:11 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Lenny Bruce is turning in his grave.

Laughing
(01-17-2015, 06:55 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 06:26 PM)Big Rock Wrote: Basically, "hate speech" is a political concept, not a legal one in this country. There are no laws that restrict any kind of speech or expression, as far as I know. Attempts to legally restrict any kind of speech or expression (including hateful speech) have always been rejected by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional. There might be an attempt to change that at some point in the future. If there is, it would be controversial. There would be extreme resistance to any kind of restriction on any kind of speech or expression, and the resistance would be across the political spectrum. Restricting speech or expression that is deemed "hateful" might seem like a good idea to some people; however, empowering any kind of government bureaucracy with determining and enforcing what speech or expression is or isn't "hateful" is fundamentally in conflict with the spirit and letter of the constitution. It would be a very difficult legal battle to win, and I don't think it would be worth the effort.

I think (don't really know) that if you say something like "I hate your ____ass am I might shoot you someday" it may be hate speech against the law. But I don't know really.
I wonder if a guy can be fined for Love Speech? You know, like "hey baby, ya wanna come up and get naked and listen to my Elvis records?" Embarrassed

yea, it's called sexual harassment.
(01-19-2015, 06:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:

So...
Is THAT against the law?
(01-19-2015, 09:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 06:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:

So...
Is THAT against the law?

Don't try it at the local high school.
Never black and white, this stuff. Or anything, really.

THE LIMITS OF SATIRE, Tim Parks, NY Review of books

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/201...ts-satire/

And excerpt:

Crucial to satire is the appeal to supposed “common sense” and a shared moral code. The satirist presents a situation in such a way that it appears grotesque and the reader who, whatever his or her private interests, shares the same cultural background and moral education agrees that it is so. The classic example, perhaps, is Jonathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal of 1729. Swift’s target was Protestant England’s economic policy in Catholic Ireland and the disastrous poverty this had created. After paragraphs of statistics on population and nutrition, we arrive at the grotesque:

I have been assured … that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.

By selling their children for food, the pamphlet claims, the poor can save themselves an expense and guarantee themselves an income. Disoriented, every reader is made aware of a simple principle we all share: you don’t eat children, even Irish children, even Catholic children. So, if those children are not to be left to starve, something else in Ireland will have to give.