Islam, Us, and the whole mess
We've discussed the thing about the radical nut jobs running around the sands of the Arabian Peninsula chopping off peoples heads and killing children. We all agree it's horrific and somebody should stop it. Past that, we have different views on who should do what and when. We even argue who's to blame.
I don't know.
I read an article in this months Atlantic magizine and while I still don't know any answers I now at least have some better questions.
This is a long read. A slog, really, but he author did his homework, talked to lots of folks, and provides some real insight into the culture of the Muslim religion, in all it's various attitudes.
And from my point of view it don't look all that good. Actually, kind of scary, because these ISIL folks are truly Muslims.

"The Islamic State is no mere collection of psychopaths. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it.
Graeme Wood"

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arch...ts/384980/

I won't attempt to summarize this here: Way beyond my pay grade. But for those of you who are truly interested in an overview of this thing, I suggest you could do worse than spending the time to read this. (And if your experience with it is anything like mine, you may have to go back and hit some of the details again)

PS: The link I included above my not work for you if you don't subscribe to the magazine. You might want to consider buying a copy at a newsstand. This one piece distills everything I've read in the papers over the past months and presents it clearly and completely.

Or...

We could stay with the opinion pieces of the WSJ and the NYT and depend on them for what we all know to be a somewhat slanted version that always includes some political views of our own leaders.

We have choices.